E9 window tint success story

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Living in South Florida with high temps and high humidity makes driving an E9 a back sweaty experience when the sun is out after 8 AM,even with the A/C fan on High. Opening the windows helps,but the sun coming through our large greenhouse windows is way more heat than the cool coming through the vents in the center console.
I have the coolant permanently bypassing the heater core and the CoupeKing firewall and transmission tunnel insulation installed in my Coupe.
The sunny day rides were still hot.
Now I have Xpel Prime Automotive Window Film # XR BL 70 installed on all windows including the windshield and back window (and my window has the electric defogger wires). The ceramic film allows 70% of the light to pass through,but the heat is rejected over 50%. The UV rays are rejected at 99%. That's what ruins our interior seats & cracks our dash.
The installation was done by Justin Pierce at First Class Window Tinting in Deerfield Beach, FL.. 1-954-297-2021. He has done other vehicles for me and has been installing auto window tint for over 20 years. There are no folds or creases in the front & back compound curves in our glass.
The sunny day drives are now much more comfortable and the slightly gray tint compliments the color of my car.
Because the tint is installed on all windows,you really can't see that the windows have been tinted like you can with a typical dark tint just on the side windows.
The new ceramic tints allow the light and not the heat to pass through the glass.
The pics were taken in Justin's shop. He installed the tint in about 6 hours. The car was in his shop for a complete day, and picked up the next day.

IMG_3511.jpg
IMG_3512.jpg
IMG_3513.jpg
IMG_3514.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3522.jpg
IMG_3524.jpg
IMG_3525.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
You left your Coupe, overnight, in someone's shop? Gasp! I have trouble doing that, so I think you showed great courage! Seriously though, this is really useful feedback. Add this to a list of things that Coupe owners can do to cool the insides without adding or enhancing the a/c system. Like muffler heat shield, drain tubes in place, making sure seal is intact around the heater unit, and so on. Thanks for sharing this, stay cool! :cool:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Mario L. , isn't there a "crystal" clear tint available somewhere here in the northeast?
Huber-Optik has a film called AR80 that is slightly lighter than the Xpel 70. But the heat rejection is less than the film on my car. The key to a successful tint job is the installer. The film is hand-cut to fit all of the windows. Modern car windows are computer cut from patterns in a database.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tod is correct. You need an installer who knows how to cut the film and can fit in the back seat. I have 3M Crystalline on 2 other vehicles. The ceramic Xpel rejects more heat and allows more light to pass through it.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Indeed, and said installer being willing and able to climb/fit in the backseat area to film the rear windows.

I went with a 3M product a few years ago when we moved to Florida. That and a heater core bypass have made my AC useable and surprisingly effective.
Tod - Did you have the install done in FL? Who did the install?

devin1967

Reaction score
Drew - thanks for posting this! First, I love your coupe, and the color combo - it is really the perfect combo and the one I really wanted!

I’m researching ceramic window tint for my newly acquired granarot 74 E9, and I‘m fairly convinced that ceramic is the way to go. Question #1: how much of a premium over ’normal’ window tint is ceramic, in your experience? I have not price shopped yet, but have found some shops in Tampa that do this. Q#2: You went with 70% - from what I read, there is little difference in effectiveness on whether one goes with a much darker ceramic tint versus a much lighter ceramic tint - is this your understanding as well? Q#3: Does ceramic (or any kind really) tint affect the already painfully slow electric window operation at all? Q#4: I presume that this can go right over the electronic defogger without compromising the defogger functionality, correct? Thanks for any insight!!

I’m not opposed to driving across state for a referred party to work on the E9 If the price isn’t out of control.

Devin

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
All of the windows,front, back, and sides were covered with the xPel 70 tint.
Devin- #1-The cost of the tint is not a factor when you feel how much heat is being rejected. The cost of the installer's work doesn't come into your decision if you know they have the experience to cut the film to fit all of the windows, especially the compound curves in the back window.
Q#2- The 70 has almost as much heat reduction as the next darker shade. I wanted all of the windows to look the same and for the car to be safe to drive at dusk or night.
Q#3- The tint does not affect the speed of the windows going up and down. The E28 rear window motors installed will make them a little faster. That is completely covered in a full topic in the Forum.
Q#4-The tint is over the rear defogger lines. I have not turned on the lines. I doubt that you will turn it on living in Tampa.
Justin Pierce owns First Class Window Tinting Deerfield Beach,FL 954-297-9723
He needed my car for a full day to do the job. He has been doing this for over 25 years and has tinted a couple of my cars.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very nice!

Because the coupe is what it is, I had not considered window tint. Your car makes a very compelling, if not winning, argument.

How many others have gone the route that Drew has with the window tint?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I looked at doing this but the local 3m place said no can do on the rear and front windshields. I would love to take my car to Drew's guy someday.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In New Hampshire, the % tint and the number of windows that can be tinted is regulated.
I am looking into the 3M Crystalline clear film.
Allegedly reduces the heat in the car but looks stock thus complies with state law

Redrumm3

Reaction score
Drew - thanks for posting this! First, I love your coupe, and the color combo - it is really the perfect combo and the one I really wanted!

I’m researching ceramic window tint for my newly acquired granarot 74 E9, and I‘m fairly convinced that ceramic is the way to go. Question #1: how much of a premium over ’normal’ window tint is ceramic, in your experience? I have not price shopped yet, but have found some shops in Tampa that do this. Q#2: You went with 70% - from what I read, there is little difference in effectiveness on whether one goes with a much darker ceramic tint versus a much lighter ceramic tint - is this your understanding as well? Q#3: Does ceramic (or any kind really) tint affect the already painfully slow electric window operation at all? Q#4: I presume that this can go right over the electronic defogger without compromising the defogger functionality, correct? Thanks for any insight!!

I’m not opposed to driving across state for a referred party to work on the E9 If the price isn’t out of control.

Devin
Devin, I can highly recommend Auto Paint Guard in Tampa for window tinting. Ryan Burroughs is the owner, super good (BMW) guy and does great quality work. I have no affiliation with him. I have used him for both window tinting and paint protection film.

https://www.autopaintguard.com/

Scott