Reaction score
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it me, or is the leather re-wrap a little... unoriginal? @Keshav, @Markos I am no expert, but it does't look as I'd expect.

Neither are original. The only Petri (that looks like this) that came in leather was the CSL 38. It doesn’t look anything like either of these wheels. Both are overpriced.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first of the 2 Petri’s, the one for 1800$ is a standard foam wheel with the V shaped overlaps (referred to as VW wheels) with a mediocre aftermarket leather wrap, an adapted hub and odd Petri horn button whereas the one for 3500$ (reduced from 5000$) is a standard foam wheel with square shaped overlaps (referred to as BMW wheels) and 02 hub, supposedly NOS.
The foam texture and the fake stitching is often mistaken for leather.

An original Csl leather wheel looks like...
67658DEF-AD2D-4079-ACA1-71AB2043CF56.jpeg

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Neither are original. The only Petri (that looks like this) that came in leather was the CSL 38. It doesn’t look anything like either of these wheels. Both are overpriced.

The first of the 2 Petri’s, the one for 1800$ is a standard foam wheel with the V shaped overlaps (referred to as VW wheels) with a mediocre aftermarket leather wrap, an adapted hub and odd Petri horn button whereas the one for 3500$ (reduced from 5000$) is a standard foam wheel with square shaped overlaps (referred to as BMW wheels) and 02 hub, supposedly NOS.
The foam texture and the fake stitching is often mistaken for leather.

Thanks. Frustrating. I try to learn from you wheel addicts’ posts, but then assumed I’d misunderstood when I saw these. I’m not in the market now, but I’m now totally skittish of wheels in the secondary marketplaces & will have to annoy you before buying. Apologies in advance. I’ve had some better-than-I-deserved experiences on risky CL part buys lately, but I’m not pushing my luck on steering wheels.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
but I’m now totally skittish of wheels in the secondary marketplaces & will have to annoy you before buying. Apologies in advance.

This forum is where we’ve all learnt from in exchanging our acquired ‘knowledge’ with each other therefore feel free to get the opinion here before you take the plunge.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Happy to help. BTW - When I said “not original” I meant “not original leather”. The wheels themselves look legit, albeit heavily overpriced.

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The $1,800 Petri has a converted VW hub and hub cover. The VW fitment has been removed and BMW fitment has been mounted. The horn button seems to have a later emblem, which doesn't work very well, it sticks out. The spokes look painted indeed, the stamps are almost invisible because of the paint.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
nope, also have a wood nardi with original type hub. i think i have an original bus wheel too

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The nice ones and/or rare ones are out there! I passed up on a CSL Petri today and referred a friend of mine to whom I owe many favors :D