electric radiator fan conversion completed

503recheck

Reaction score
My decision to upgrade to a 3 row radiator when my radiator was being serviced was the start of this thread which can be found elsewhere in the forum under fan clutch questions. My thanks to SF DON who had the correct special order lower radiator hose part number needed to correctly connect a 3.5 motronic motor to a original lower radiator hose connection. Part number is 11531268750. can be found elsewhere in a forum search. I attempted to install a modern spin on fan clutch with a new upgraded 9 blade fan and after much modification and trashing a new part I came to the conclusion that I could not easily do it with the reduced clearance caused by a thicker 3 row radiator. Plus I like the clean appearance and modern technical advantages of electric fans. I started with a forum tip using a flexlite 16" fan at 2500cfm which is rated for both pushing and pulling as a primary fan (more than just a aux fan). It has curved blades for quiet operation and efficiency. I ordered a flexlite thermocouple sensor which threads into the water outlet housing to a avoid that cheap thermocouple that sticks in the fins and ran the wiring into the engine harness for a clean install. I ordered a flexlite electronic speed controller which is temp adjustable and runs at 60% at 190 and goes to 100%with a 10 degree rise in temp from 190 (adjustable). It also has a input for a 12 volt positive signal from the ac clutch signal which will run at 60% whenever the ac clutch is engaged for low speed condensor fan operation. I mounted it on the fan support as seen in the pic. I built a 1"x1" alum angle support framework with corner brackets and mounted it on the existing 3 condensor fan support brackets and spaced the condensor farther toward the radiator for a flush appearance as can be seen in the pics. It took some time and patience but I like the end result. all parts enter the front valence thru the radiator opening so radiator r&r is a must.

34q1gue.jpg

z2u14.jpg

ddgmpx.jpg

348hpxe.jpg

14llcur.jpg

34oojly.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm impressed!
Do you mind if we copy your efforts?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks great. Does the fan push enough air through the condensor to get through the radiator? Traffic tested?

503recheck

Reaction score
Has not been traffic tested yet, may take several months. The reason we all share is to minimize mistakes and maximize driving. I really appreciate this forum

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this looks very good indeed. i will be curious to hear how well it works for standard summer cooling ... and secondly how well it works for the a/c condenser as well as keeping the engine cool.

on another note, a big oil cooler would really help solve the engine cooling if the fan is not enough to solve the a/c and the engine cooling.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great installation. Are you running the stock alternator?

Bwana

Reaction score
this looks very good indeed. i will be curious to hear how well it works for standard summer cooling ... and secondly how well it works for the a/c condenser as well as keeping the engine cool.

on another note, a big oil cooler would really help solve the engine cooling if the fan is not enough to solve the a/c and the engine cooling.

Nicely done! I've got two for my A/C setup, you're looks great!

503recheck

Reaction score
I removed the stock fan completely. I would not use the mechanical fan clutch setup as it is old school and not as reliable as the new fluid style fan clutch and the water pumps are different. I am also tired of the fluid style because they seem to wear out yearly and you just keep replacing them frequently if you want full operation. The fan is rated at 17 amps at full operation. I am using a new stock alternator. I will not know about charging rate at cruise with fan on and all accessories for several months. One thing about airflow is that without a fan shroud most of that air movement is lost on the original fan and a 9 bladed fan. This style with the blades so close to the fins and the efficiency of the curved blades and a tight shroud around the blades I think it will be a superior design unless you have a fan shroud on the 9 blade/fan clutch setup. If the fan is mounted on the engine you have to leave space for the engine to move around without contacting the radiator and servicing the front of the engine is tight. With a fixed fan install on the front you do not have things moving and can move to closer clearances to minimize air flow bleed around the edges of the fan.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I removed the stock fan completely. I would not use the mechanical fan clutch setup as it is old school and not as reliable as the new fluid style fan clutch and the water pumps are different. I am also tired of the fluid style because they seem to wear out yearly and you just keep replacing them frequently if you want full operation. The fan is rated at 17 amps at full operation. I am using a new stock alternator. I will not know about charging rate at cruise with fan on and all accessories for several months. One thing about airflow is that without a fan shroud most of that air movement is lost on the original fan and a 9 bladed fan. This style with the blades so close to the fins and the efficiency of the curved blades and a tight shroud around the blades I think it will be a superior design unless you have a fan shroud on the 9 blade/fan clutch setup. If the fan is mounted on the engine you have to leave space for the engine to move around without contacting the radiator and servicing the front of the engine is tight. With a fixed fan install on the front you do not have things moving and can move to closer clearances to minimize air flow bleed around the edges of the fan.

so you do not have any mechanical / viscous fan, and you rely ONLY in an electric setup ?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I don't understand the distrust of electric fans. They've been the primary source of cooling air in most automobiles for many years. How many guys here have no mechanical fan on their daily drivers? Mine is a 72 Bav with no mechanical fan, only a BMW 2-speed electric. I monitor the operation of my fan, and it rarely comes on. Unless I'm stuck in some pretty bad traffic on a pretty hot day in never runs.

RJRuiz

Reaction score
I'm running dual Spal pullers on a custom shroud with their electronic controller; South Florida heat & humidity are no longer an issue.

First fan kicks in at 175', second at 195, or when a/c is on.

Car runs a bit on the cool side and a/c works very well, in traffic or open road.

Interestingly enough, the fans usually shut down when I am traveling approximately 40MPH + and the airflow is sufficient for both engine & a/c.

I did the change because the cooling was marginal with the upgraded viscous style fan and it was running constantly as well as incredibly noisy.

Nice & quiet now with no issues in a year of driving.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I use a 90°/99°C BMW switches so my low speed doesn't come on until 195°F, and the high speed has never been on except for testing.

Sparky

Reaction score
RJRuiz,

Which Spal's (or at least what diameter) are you using? Could you post a picture of your custom shroud and the fans installed?

Thanks.

I'm running dual Spal pullers on a custom shroud with their electronic controller; South Florida heat & humidity are no longer an issue.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. Full of great info.

@RJRuiz, if you are still around, as Sparky asked, would you mind sharing which dual Spal fans you are using. And are you still happy with the setup after 3 years?

Do you have any pics of the setup?

@503recheck, after three years, how has your (very nice!) conversion worked out? Has the front mounted fan been able to cool both the condenser and the radiator in the heat of the summers? If you had to redo it, would you do it the same way?

Thank you

Bo

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Bmachine - Thank you for reviving this thread.

@sfdon - What is the state of the art design these days?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't understand the distrust of electric fans. They've been the primary source of cooling air in most automobiles for many years. How many guys here have no mechanical fan on their daily drivers? Mine is a 72 Bav with no mechanical fan, only a BMW 2-speed electric. I monitor the operation of my fan, and it rarely comes on. Unless I'm stuck in some pretty bad traffic on a pretty hot day in never runs.

Right, Jaguar went all electric starting in 1961. Would've worked fine except they put a really crummy blade on the motor ( looks pretty much like a lawn mower blade). Unless it's a show car, all us XKE guys upgrade to a modern puller (use with shroud) that works flawlessly and doesn't draw too many amps for the original electrical systems. It draws 7 amps and produces 2000cfm. If this fan is enough for a 4.2liter XK motor, it should be ok for our 3.5liter motors. The only reason I haven't mentioned it here is because the configuration is not suitable for E9's (motor is not integrated into the fan hub, and sticks out too far to fit cars with A/C).

http://www.coolcatcorp.com/product/CoolCatFan38.html

John