Engine bay color

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi guys I have another question, my painter Idea was to paint the engine bay black like American car just take a look at the pix and let me know what do you guys think

Attachments

• 20210727_152740.jpg
    20210727_152740.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 140

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
The black engine bay just isn’t appropriate for and e9. I suspect your painter specializes in American muscle. The hard work is already done with everything out. I’d tell your painter the engine bay needs to get almost as much prep and care as the body, before being painted to match. It’ll make a huge difference in value. And you won’t regret it.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In general i understand the black paint is done to facilitate easy touch-ups. But in an e9 i think it is out of place, as someone may feel it hides something.
Also I think most of the e9 crowd expects it to be body color, as it shows off that you took care of it correctly and did not cut any corners.
It also does not match the original condition.

The engine is jewelry by itself. Give it a classy, paint matched surrounding I would say.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm with everybody here - no black engine bay unless your coupe is black. quick reminder and something good to share with the painter is what color goes where as listed in the FAQ

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree, find a new painter! I really dislike the black engine bay
The sound damping material on the top of the fender, if there is any rust present you want to remove it to get the rust out, otherwise I personally strongly recommend not removing it, it is part of originality, and none of the replacements I have seen have the correct texture

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i do prefer Car colour on engine bay
but, my car came with black colour, and original stickers in german on top of sound deadening material,
i do not know really what to think about that

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it’s fine to go black, as long as you don’t mind the fact that it will hurt the value of your E9. If I were buying, Original but imperfect body color would be strongly preferred over new black.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The black engine bay just isn’t appropriate for and e9. I suspect your painter specializes in American muscle. The hard work is already done with everything out. I’d tell your painter the engine bay needs to get almost as much prep and care as the body, before being painted to match. It’ll make a huge difference in value. And you won’t regret it.
thank you very much for your advise I will have him to change the color to blue like my car color and I am thinking to tell him spray oil base color since oil base color always have it's shine and don't need to polish, the oil base paint with same color code will be the same color only thing it will be shine, tomorrow I will take a picture from the trunk and posted it is look very shine but deferent than car color please give me your advise your opinion is very important to me and I like your honest opinion, he is very good painter like he dos not using cheap material he is using good quality like PPG clear code that is the best in the market, and he make his own paint he have his dedicated corner just for paint mixture, he spend all week to make all the gaps even like trunk gap and hood gap are same but this is his first classic BMW

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and what do you think to have him paint same car color but oil base paint to have it always shine.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe find a new painter.
this is his first classic BMW and he is in American classic that's why he came up with this idea but he is very good painter I will have the picture posted when is completed

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the trunk, engine bay, should be the same as the exterior of the car
As far as I know, the only area on the same is the bottom
And there is a textured coating a small ways up from the bottom, painted the same as the rest of the car over the texture
Try and get that 'water line' and texture as close to original as possible