Engine paint colors

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would an autobody paint place have the RAL color charts? I had them match it but the code is long gone.

Id think shops that use Euro/ German paints would or maybe order thru shops that market them like....

stphers

Reaction score
I thought that the 2800CS air cleaners were like a semi gloss black And they were the only ones that had the rhermo coupling in the snorkle to open or close it off to fresh or exhaust manifold heat.

Only the 3.0 were done is RAL7043 , I think

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a black air cleaner other than very early 2002 68/69. Murray had #16 and it was Grey. Yes, the 2800 had the rubber access plug for the thermo device which continued on early 3.0CS.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i posted a few pics of my early 2800cs air cleaner housing (that i sold) ... somebody thought it was black, but i can assure you that it was a dark olive grey and NOT black. it was from a coupe with a serial number of less than 100.

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
just recapping

what was the thoughts on Engine Block and subframe

I've seen pics of subframes in the grey (like this) but mine is most defiantly black and has even more definitely never been off the car

1582343242145.png

Honolulu

Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on this... is the BMW color code on the doorjambs a RAL code, or if not, does there exist a schedule to match BMW colors to their RAL equivalents?

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rattle can black then, goes on my list of small beautification projects to make it gray.
Can see the correct gray inside the air cleaner, time for the rattle can grimy black to go. Got some traffic gray RAL 7043. BCAF6AE5-AE2A-4ED8-9144-9F0A8E5CDE3D.jpeg1D4CA949-FA17-49B3-835C-3FD4F80DE8C3.jpegFC8873FF-4B7D-4D90-9842-4AE50BF052C3.jpeg

roundel

Reaction score
If I remember correctly BMW used to sell these colours in aerosol cans, seem to remember the gray colour was called Hellgrau. Maybe they appeared on the microfiche ?

72/E9

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread on engine component colors...
I've been searching through the archives for info on oil filter canister colors. Mine is Blue (photo attached). Top of dipstick is the same Blue. Anyone ever seen this before?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Blue Oil Canister.JPG
    Blue Oil Canister.JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 46

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread on engine component colors...
I've been searching through the archives for info on oil filter canister colors. Mine is Blue (photo attached). Top of dipstick is the same Blue. Anyone ever seen this before?
Thanks.

i have not seen it before, but in the scratched area it seems no other colour hidden
the fact that dipstick is painted in the same blue gives a bad sign though
dipsticks could be red or yellow according to blue manuals
same odd blue seems done on purpose, maybe to identify oil system

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
This is probably obvious, but I have been through multiple paint color threads and not seen any references to the actual engine color.
Most threads focus on color of the air cleaner housing, the dipstick and the oil filter.

I have seen a few engine rebuilds that used black for the engine block and some gold color for the freeze plugs. 1) is the gold color just the zinc coating on the bare freeze plug, or is it paint? 2) Is the standard block color black?

stphers

Reaction score
When I worked for BMW dealerships ( 3 different ones ) all the blocks that we installed into cars were either a semi gloss black or a gloss black Never any other colors All the engines that I have done over the years I painted them a gloss black ( easy paint to buy and it is easy to clean once done ) And all the frost plugs and hardware was done in the yellow zinc plating

Thanks, Rick