Engine Removal

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis. I am about to remove my engine from my e9. It currently has an auto tranny and I want to swap to a 5 speed and repaint the engine bay at the same time. I read your method above with great interest.

My situation is very similar to yours in that I am doing it in my garage without a lift. Based on what you say, I get the impression that, after having pulled the motor on an e9 from both the top and the bottom, it seems that you end up saying the bottom method is the "best/easiest"? With a couple of years of hindsight, do you still believe that to be accurate? Is that what you would recommend? I am trying to remove the engine and tranny together as it might be easier and cleaner to remove the auto one when they are out of the car.

Thank you.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bo, As I rethink both ways if doing it, no doubt that for me doing it from below is not only easier but less stressful since I can more easily control fitment and tweaking as the car comes down than having that 500 Lb lump wanting to hit something on the car while I run from side to side and the back of the crane. Also requires less garage ceiling height. In addition, not having to remove the hood, a 2 person job (hard for me to get a helper) and not having to realign the hood, especially on a coupe, is a huge bonus for me.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have to say there is zero reason to remove the hood.
I've never removed a hood and never touched a hood removing an engine.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo, As I rethink both ways if doing it, no doubt that for me doing it from below is not only easier but less stressful since I can more easily control fitment and tweaking as the car comes down than having that 500 Lb lump wanting to hit something on the car while I run from side to side and the back of the crane. Also requires less garage ceiling height. In addition, not having to remove the hood, a 2 person job (hard for me to get a helper) and not having to realign the hood, especially on a coupe, is a huge bonus for me.

Great info Luis, thank you.

And how did that HF ATV lift work out for this job? On the surface it looks like the perfect helper for this method.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Haven't done on it on an E9, but E34, wasn't bad from the top:

engine-removal.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One more question: When dropping the engine and subframe from the bottom, where is the best place to separate the steering column from the steering box?

Thank you.

restart

Reaction score
Top or bottom...the endless debate. Both ways are fine, whatever you feel comfortable with. If you go out the bottom you can use the cherry picker to lift the car, instead of the jacks. it's not heavy without the engine and tranny.
Pulling that lump out the top stresses me out. Ymmv. :)

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bo, regarding the HF ATV lift, it is perfect for this job and other lifting jobs. Since it has two skids as a lifting surface, you'll have to place and bolt to it some sort of platform. The other thing that I recall is that it takes care and attention to control its descent at a slow rate. Be careful or it can drop 2 inches when you really only wanted 1/2" as you are checking clearance, etc.

Restart: Yes the cherry picker works well to pick up the car but with a low garage ceiling and not wanting to lift by the dainty Euro bumper makes that not as as simple a proposition.

With the E3 when lifting the engine back in, the steering arm hydraulic actuator that sits on the subframe was extremely close to the body and presented a challenge of accuracy. In fact, the E3, and I don't recall, maybe the E9 too, has a cut out at the sheetmetal where it sits, and that tells you it's pretty tight. If there is a way to drop it in or take out before the engine move, it might be easier, but I don't recall this being a challenge on the E9.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo, regarding the HF ATV lift, it is perfect for this job and other lifting jobs. Since it has two skids as a lifting surface, you'll have to place and bolt to it some sort of platform. The other thing that I recall is that it takes care and attention to control its descent at a slow rate. Be careful or it can drop 2 inches when you really only wanted 1/2" as you are checking clearance, etc.

Thank you Luis.

Bwana

Reaction score
Top or bottom...the endless debate. Both ways are fine, whatever you feel comfortable with. If you go out the bottom you can use the cherry picker to lift the car, instead of the jacks. it's not heavy without the engine and tranny.
Pulling that lump out the top stresses me out. Ymmv. :)
You've just inspired me to a Rube Goldberg of sorts. How about a "crane" with A-frames on each side of the car with a cross beam on top between them and a chain fall to lift the body? If so, can I use the shock tower mounts from the top with a spreader bar as the pick up points? And yes, serious consideration will go into overall strength and lateral stability.

restart

Reaction score
A good hook in a beam with a pulley to a modified front sway bar? or grab it up front from somewhere in the valence?That kind of puts the hood in the way tho.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know but all of this A- frame and beam talk makes two hydraulic jacks and jack stands sound like child's play...

restart

Reaction score
IMG_5358.JPG
Absolutely. Whatever works for you. In the summer when the 2 post is occupied I can move my 4 poster outside on its casters and use a hook, block and tackle from the steel beam(circled)to either lift the car or the engine.. My budget has been reduced to zero so too often I have to use whatever comes to hand. :)
When lifting from the shock towers was mentioned it just seemed a strut brace would be handy. Just thinking out LOUD...
I don't know but all of this A- frame and beam talk makes two hydraulic jacks and jack stands sound like child's play...