Engine Under Tray

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, tried to fit this but had a hard time determining whether the front edge tucks between the valence and the front end frame, or just sits on top of the valence. Lower edge in photo faces front of car...

Thanks.

Attachments

• Trayphoto.jpg
    Trayphoto.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 243

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How cool would it be to have those reproduced? We could probably get an accurate number of every coupe still "alive" +/-10 looking at the sales figures.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Listed as still available at Tomkinson for $200. There was a thread a while back on the best way to water proof them, there was a reason they were left off at the shop back in the day.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If it were made of some type of degradable press-board I could see leaving it off; Lens picture looks like it is some type of plastic, oh well- or are there aftermarket plastic ones available?

loloe13

Reaction score
contact John - jvrenaudon

I bought the reproduced plastic undertray from John (jvrenaudon)
the tray material certainly felt quite sturdy and light

send him a mail, but I do recall him saying he did not have many left

Gavin

DerSchwede

Reaction score
OK, tried to fit this but had a hard time determining whether the front edge tucks between the valence and the front end frame, or just sits on top of the valence. Lower edge in photo faces front of car...

Thanks.

The upper end of the part will face the front of the car. The mounting holes go atop the front valance and is fitted with 5 screws through the existing holes in the valance. That should line up just fine. Same thing in the back, right and left side of the engine where it mounts to the front cross momber.
Cheers
Anders

m_thompson

Reaction score
There are two small tabs on both sides of the front. I put those above the sheet metal to hold it in place, and the rest below the sheet metal. It has worked Ok for 30 years.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The upper end of the part will face the front of the car. The mounting holes go atop the front valance and is fitted with 5 screws through the existing holes in the valance. That should line up just fine. Same thing in the back, right and left side of the engine where it mounts to the front cross momber.
Cheers
Anders

Thanks. I was trying to tuck it between the valence but figured that wasn't correct.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Considering the light use our cars get I went with the original. My coupe is certainly not original but I try when I can. Mine came from the factory with original clips and screws for about $200.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Undertray

Yes, I was the chap who had a batch of these undertrays made last year in fibreglass with stainless-steel brackets. They were made using a NOS unit as a model and the reason I had them made was because I had replaced the original cardboard-type undertray at least 3 times on my car due to oil and water degradation over the last 40 years. I think I still have one undertray left but I could get more made if there is sufficient interest. I was selling them at £150 apiece plus P&P which amounted to approx £12 (UK) to £75 (Aus).

As regards the original query about the method of fixing, the "J"-clips are fitted to the front valence which, if it is standard, is ready-drilled, and then the undertray is fitted from below with s/s self-tappers/ Incidentally, the shorter of the two brackets attached to the undertray shown in the photograph at the start of this thread is wrong- it shoul have two principal fixing locations - just like the longer one.

Please let me know if there is any further interest in further supplies.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i sent you a couple of PMs yesterday and today, was worried ;-)

Yes, I was the chap who had a batch of these undertrays made last year in fibreglass with stainless-steel brackets. They were made using a NOS unit as a model and the reason I had them made was because I had replaced the original cardboard-type undertray at least 3 times on my car due to oil and water degradation over the last 40 years. I think I still have one undertray left but I could get more made if there is sufficient interest. I was selling them at £150 apiece plus P&P which amounted to approx £12 (UK) to £75 (Aus).

As regards the original query about the method of fixing, the "J"-clips are fitted to the front valence which, if it is standard, is ready-drilled, and then the undertray is fitted from below with s/s self-tappers/ Incidentally, the shorter of the two brackets attached to the undertray shown in the photograph at the start of this thread is wrong- it shoul have two principal fixing locations - just like the longer one.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

Not sure I understand your comment about the short bracket; I'll post a pic of the "underside" tomorrow.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Front undertray

Lens, sorry - sackcloth and ashes here - ignore previous advice. The front edge of the undertray sits on TOP of the metal front valence. The "J" or "P" clips are fitted to the undertray and the self-tappers pass through the drillings in the valence up into the clips.

However, I am right about there being two fixing locations to the front sub-frame on each of the fixing brackets.

Sorry about the mix-up ; I should have checked it out on my car first. Best wishes, John

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Front undertray

Lens,

Let's get this straight. In the photo which you have posted the undertray is shown as seen looking upwards from underneath the car with the edge at the top of the photo foremost on the car and the large cut-out for the offset sump at the rear. My point about the two metal brackets holds true. The bracket on the left-hand side of the undertray (when fitted i.e. not left-hand side as shown in your photo) is wrong because it does not accommodate the second fixing point. It is not long enough. Please refer to page 51/61 of the parts book but remember that the later undertray featured two fixings (not one) to each bracket, each requiring a 4.8 x 16mm sheetmetal screw, in the words of the parts book. I hope this helps. Regards, John.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Better shots of the passenger and driver side brackets.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 157
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 150