Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5 speed (NMNA)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Curious on the front bumper overriders being that this is a '73. Did the Euro coupes not have the '73 overriders like what was on my Bav or Chris's coupe for example?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just wish the airbox clips weren’t installed backwards.
Maybe I’m a little OCD….

I have seen plenty of big ticket Euro car deals blow up because of California registration rules.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Direct from California Department of Motor Vehicles..

How do I register a NON-USA or "Grey Market" car in California?
Vehicles first sold, or vehicles intended for sale by their manufacturers outside the United States are called NON-USA or "Grey Market" cars. Greymarket cars are typically not able to be used or registered in California. The following information lists the minimum requirements to register a greymarket car in California:
If the Model Year of the vehicle is:
1967 and older:
no modifications and testing are required to register the vehicle in California.
1968 to 1974: California does not recommend the purchase or importation of these years of NON-USA vehicles, even if currently registered in another state. These vehicles require compliance with USEPA requirements in effect on the specific date of 11/15/1972. This provision when written, was considered by the California legislature as a gradual phase-out of very dirty "non-collectable" types of imports, as this specific requirement was understood to become increasingly difficult to meet. Today, this requirement, while not impossible to meet, would require testing expenses and modifications that far exceed most vehicles value and would make little sense from a collectors standpoint to attempt. Some limited exemptions apply to individuals moving to California with vehicles of these years registered in their home state for at least a year before moving to California. Contact us for more information.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To be clear on a couple issues..

Every time I import anything over $2500.00 from Europe- I have to give a SS# or a EIN# to the customs broker.

And Julie the nice lady at the California Franchise Tax Board knows about it and I get taxed at 10.75%.

Julie is nice to me as long as I pay my taxes and not so nice when I don’t pay.

when you don’t pay there are penalties…..and consequences and interest on top of taxes.

I pay like a religion.

Julie and I get along great because I play by her rules.

BTW..

gray market cars do not qualify for Historical plates.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Individuals can report out-of-state plates that they see.
Why would you do that instead of assuming good intentions?
My son escaped the pandemic from SF in his Land Rover and has been living in Colorado, Woodstock, and now Brooklyn, all while sporting CA plates and paying to CA DMV and AAA insurance. Don't we need this flexibility when work and survival has forced us to more flexible living patterns?

An officer can stop you and do whatever he/she wants. An individual reporting on another? Somebody reported on my 87 Volvo something and I got a letter, and an offer to scrap it. Somebody reported on my wife driving too slowly on the highway and two policemen came to check on her for sobriety. I showed them my wife was sober and asked them if they already found who vandalized 10 cars on my street including my Cabrio. Of course they had not, in spite of the many cameras in the houses.

I am in the "live and let live" camp.

PS: My wife failed the sobriety test when she picked me though...

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but the color of that car looks off. Not quite factory original.
I posted on the BaT site about the color. No photo or monitor or camera can capture the true color of Turkis. When I wanted my coupe to be painted, the shop was using BASF paints. Jon Iverson was nice enough to send me a metal sample of the Glasurit Turkis to see in the sunlight. The difference between the Glasurit and BASF metallic color and flop was amazing.
At The LOTA East last November, my friend and neighbor Jon Van Woerden took pics of the car with the same camera setting and sight angle. One pic in with cloud cover ,the car was blue. The same pic in the sun and the car was green. Even Jon could not explain the difference in the photos. And Jon has taken about a million car photos!!!
These 2 pics are in the sun,but at a different angle.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 103

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted on the BaT site about the color. No photo or monitor or camera can capture the true color of Turkis. When I wanted my coupe to be painted, the shop was using BASF paints. Jon Iverson was nice enough to send me a metal sample of the Glasurit Turkis to see in the sunlight. The difference between the Glasurit and BASF metallic color and flop was amazing.

I love the color with the color on the centers of the RAs. Really nicely done. Glasurit is a BASF paint so I'm slightly confused, but there are considerable variations between all of the various lines they offer (Glasurit, R-M, Limco) in addition to the different lines (e.g. Glasurit 55 (solvent-based) and 90 (water-based) for metallics) and variants available within that line. Can really go down the rabbit hole in trying to match color.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the color with the color on the centers of the RAs. Really nicely done. Glasurit is a BASF paint so I'm slightly confused, but there are considerable variations between all of the various lines they offer (Glasurit, R-M, Limco) in addition to the different lines (e.g. Glasurit 55 (solvent-based) and 90 (water-based) for metallics) and variants available within that line. Can really go down the rabbit hole in trying to match color.
My error!! I should have looked at my notes. The shop uses PPG paints. The Glasurit 55 is what was used to paint my car.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just took a look a the auction -
Pretty crummy of the 'ronwake' guy to say 'not sure it is a real CSi" and then not provide any supporting info. Looking up the VIN shows it is within the CSi range, so... Don't know where this all knowledgeable fella comes off making such a bold statement.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Houston….there is no problem That’s is a
Csi bracket.

Attachments

• B66C8018-4E64-44AF-B0BC-A8FA002FEE3C.jpeg
    B66C8018-4E64-44AF-B0BC-A8FA002FEE3C.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 045B52E7-A0A6-47E5-A7A3-0D5805CFA149.jpeg
    045B52E7-A0A6-47E5-A7A3-0D5805CFA149.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a neophyte when it comes to Safety Wire, but I don't think the wiring here on the struts (photo #313) is going to do much good. Shouldn't the nuts be wired instead of the bolts? Yeah, it's harder, you need a jig to drill the corners of the nuts, but it's doable. I suppose the only harm is a false sense of security.

CSi strut safety wire.png

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm a neophyte when it comes to Safety Wire, but I don't think the wiring here on the struts (photo #313) is going to do much good. Shouldn't the nuts be wired instead of the bolts? Yeah, it's harder, you need a jig to drill the corners of the nuts, but it's doable. I suppose the only harm is a false sense of security.

View attachment 148691
those nuts are the bolt heads.

Attachments

• A281FD0D-C145-4100-8BD0-D99D5CEB30E8.png
    A281FD0D-C145-4100-8BD0-D99D5CEB30E8.png
    812.8 KB · Views: 67

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The safety wire still should be redone since it’s not going to keep anything from loosening up installed like that.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are there nuts on a strut bottom? I thought they were bolts that screw into the strut base? Those safety wires should work fine. Or am I hallucinating?