Euro 1974 BMW 3.0CSi 4-Speed

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if it was easy to do, he would have registered it in California. the guy sold a Alpina C1last year, also an Oldenzaal restoration.
Oldenzaal is getting better with their restorations ... but there are better shops. generally their work is pretty, but not always correct.

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
This E9 is interesting in that it says acquired by the seller in 2022 and then begun restoration, which sounds as though to say it was his car that he commissioned Oldenzall to restore it. Clearly if this was true he wouldn’t be selling it right away. Especially after spending 170k to restore it. Unimportant topic regarding the car, only came to mind because he seems to be following the stride of European sellers providing vague, confidence inspiring answers regarding important and potentially expensive topics that a buyer might not be aware of.
So will this be a 200k or RNM car??

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess is RNM, but that's because samboss historically has a very high reserve. its a nice coupe, but when he keeps talking around the registration issue like it doesn't exist ...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In California a private person can sell up to five used vehicles a year without a license. However, this applies only if the person is not selling vehicles as a business, legitimately bought the vehicle for personal use, and is not attempting to avoid licensing requirements.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think he is definitely complicit with the latter thought. by registering the car in Montana, he is definitely avoiding paying CA sales tax and avoiding the registration hassle.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
In California a private person can sell up to five used vehicles a year without a license. However, this applies only if the person is not selling vehicles as a business, legitimately bought the vehicle for personal use, and is not attempting to avoid licensing requirements.
Or never registers the car in his/her name. You can sell 1200 cars a year if you never register them

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Or never registers the car in his/her name. You can sell 1200 cars a year if you never register them
Which he doesn’t do in CA. Eight of his last twelve BaT sales are euro spec BMWs titled in Montana under his “LLC”. We all know why.

The rule of thumb for CA that someone mentioned is:
If you’re trying to title a 1968-75 Euro spec car model that was never offered for sale new in CA during that time, you’re going to have a hard time getting it titled.

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which he doesn’t do in CA. Eight of his last twelve BaT sales are euro spec BMWs titled in Montana under his “LLC”. We all know why.

The rule of thumb for CA that someone mentioned is:
If you’re trying to title a 1968-75 Euro spec car model that was never offered for sale new in CA during that time, you’re going to have a hard time getting it titled.
I've not experienced that...but I know people. I've also heard (second hand) that if you move a car that's already been registered in say Montana for a min of a year, into say Calif, it's way easier to do. But I haven't done it, so I don't know the specifics.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There was another CSi that sold for 180K to a buyer in So Cal about 5 weeks ago. I checked back to ask the buyer for an update. Crickets.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Stevehose has the obvious solution. Turn to the Underworld, or the Dark Web, or... Hack into the CA DMV, grab all the pertinent info on a similar car, create a complete false id: title, registration, plates, insurance info and you are good to go. Oh, and keep a neatly folded trio of $100. bills paper clipped to your license. An old trick taught by my Political Science teacher in High School in the 50s. BTW, it was a Catholic High School in NYC and he was an Irish, alcoholic, defrocked priest.

You can't do better.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Samboss has been doing this with euro cars for a while, so Id like to think when he mentions its possible he somehow has a way... but who knows, lots of these European sellers or in his case essentially an affiliate for European sellers( that's all he is, the idea of him saying he aquired the coupe then got it restored as if its his car isn't really true, while I don't believe he outright says it, it is very clear he is an agent for Oldenzall and directly receives their stock to sell here. Oldenzall finished that car, sent it directly here and it was immediately listed. Who owns what or how they work it out IDK but that's my observation). Anyway.... as I was saying the European sellers love to say everything is easy, cheap, etc. Theres an E9 seller in Germany that loves to consistently tell bidders he can ship them their E9 for under $4,000. This is Impossible. Unless of course you want your e9 to be valued and treated as a $5k car.
Either way its a beautiful car, I have no idea how the California registration process works but it is kind of exhausting seeing EVERY single E9, or euro car in general, auction get cluttered up with California drama.
When my Euro Polaris goes up next week Ill be waiting for the California comments :)
JBMW - The seller was attempting to downplay what would clearly be a huge problem in California. A knowlegeable California guy (sfdon) called him on it. This was not clutter. Don (and the others who raised this issue) saved potential California buyers a lot of grief by calling out an unscrupulous seller.