Exterior moulding bolts

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The word from W&N is the new bolts are designed for the new trim that is being made which has different holes to the slots

Attachments

• F8DA88B6-EA9A-45F4-B1D2-497752D96BFC.jpeg
    F8DA88B6-EA9A-45F4-B1D2-497752D96BFC.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 186

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
How did you go with the Hyundai nuts? Did they fit ok?

They're a tiny bit too thick and need grinding down a touch, bolt thread itself is slightly larger than factory but still fits nicely through factory holes.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone care to bet that the W&N bolts are from BMW? Same with the belt trim. Why would they spend nonrecurring engineering and tooling dollars on bolts? Think about it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well for those who have deep pockets, they are still available from BMW 51135780108 ... getbmwparts lists them for $3.38 each ... and when you replace the entire belt trim, that 150 bucks in round numbers. unfortunately, the rubber nut has been superceded by just a nut.

a while back (2014), i bought some of the T bolts from Lisa at Penske, but all i could get was 14. i ended up buying 50 from Korman ... and the price was reasonable ... as well as the rubber nuts. the size of these are exactly the same as original ones. the pictures below are one new set and one old set. the measurement of the cross section of the head is about 7mm and is 1mm thick ... the overall length of the bolt is 16mm.

e9 belt trim bolt - 1.jpg

e9 belt trim bolt - 2.jpg

e9 belt trim bolt - 3.jpg

e9 belt trim bolt - 4.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well, here's the pic from ECS tuning. only $4.23 each (sure like the getbmwparts price better. they look pretty similar to the original. and if this is the case, i doubt that W+N is selling the BMW bolt. according to getbmwparts, 4.23 is the MSRP. getbmwparts is discounting 20%. if you can find a dealer that gives 25% off ... you are down to 3.17 each or around 158 bucks for 50.

i value my time too much to take a chance of making my own by grinding and painting.

940585d16dd59a83c5c52a52258d19f1.jpg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
my oem in the 74 were just nuts never the rubber covered nut
i bought a bunch of chrome nuts w/ shoulders from ace hardware for 10 cents each
and used the regular washers

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
go at it Alan ... i think that's crazy to spend time making something that you can buy ... and run the risk of scratching the paint of the made bolt and having electrolysis start on the trim / car. my car had some rubber bolts and some not ... when a PO painted the car, they didn't spend the money to put on the rubber bolts ... and i think that happened to your coupe. the used ones that i have came off an early 2800cs and i have a bag of old ones from Scott Crater's CSL ... maybe the '74 didn't but since in 2015 i could still buy the rubber nuts from BMW, i suspect that yours were removed at some point.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
no they were the original as they were a bit tarnished =i wire brushed them to new again
and clearcoated em i know this because i know both owners and the car was never touched when i got it it was indeed virgin
the things that were changed i have the original receipts and service records
an 86 head was put on the original motor at 60k

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no they were the original as they were a bit tarnished =i wire brushed them to new again
and clearcoated em i know this because i know both owners and the car was never touched when i got it it was indeed virgin
Anybody else have this experience of NO rubber nuts originally holding on the belt trim ... i think Alan has a pseudo-virgin and has been tarnished by 'virginal' claims to hide reality. i just can't imagine that BMW would allow a nut to be screwed onto the back of a fender without any protection to isolate metals and the finish surface ... I wouldn't put it past Karmann, but many of the issues of the older cars were fixed in the '74 model ... with the exception of the hideous diving board bumpers.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anybody else have this experience of NO rubber nuts originally holding on the belt trim ... i think Alan has a pseudo-virgin and has been tarnished by 'virginal' claims to hide reality. i just can't imagine that BMW would allow a nut to be screwed onto the back of a fender without any protection to isolate metals and the finish surface ... I wouldn't put it past Karmann, but many of the issues of the older cars were fixed in the '74 model ... with the exception of the hideous diving board bumpers.

I’m not sure. I can say that I just removed the last of my beltline on my ‘73. The vast majority of the nuts had rubber bushings. Some of those bushings are still stuck to the car. I’ll need to fish them out later. There were two or three replacement nuts, all very rusty. I don’t presume that they are original based on the fact that they don’t look new.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i can get that the rubber bushings might stick to the inner side of the fender ... but the fact that they were there IS my point. any '74 owners out there that have taken a piece of belt trim off and want to comment?