Feedback; Side Marker Lights

Robert A

Reaction score
I wanted to post this to get some feedback. My car was damaged during transit and the insurance will cover about 1/2 the cost of painting. I want to delete the side marker lights. I've seen cars with both front and rear lights, rear lights only and, finally no marker lights. From the previous owner, he stated the car has always been garaged and I can say it is rust free. Will this take away the value?

Robert

P.S. The paint was better in the pictures than in real life.

Attachments

• BMW1.jpg
    BMW1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 145

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
side marker delete..

I cant see how it would devalue as long as it is done properly...A less than quality paint job, however, could. Is the car original paint?..Even if not, before you do anything, I would take lots of pictures "as is", especially the damaged areas, so that, if you ever sell the car, you can show what is underneath that "new, shiny paint"...I think that I speak for many folks when I say that new paint sends up a cautionary flag...document the whole process...and do it the right way...that way it becomes part of the investment, not just a seller's footnote.
Dave V. in NC

Robert A

Reaction score
The car is not original paint. The car looks like a nice 8 year old used car inside and under the hood and trunk. The paint is about a 7.5 out of 10 and the previous owner painted about 13 years ago. It did have 4-5 small bubbles in the bottom of the front wings, smaller that the size of an erasure that are being cut away. I will keep the interior the same and still have not decided to paint the engine compartment or inside of the trunk. They are pretty clean and without rust. Just the elephant skin is cracked a bit. With the prices of the e9's going up what is considered " original except paint"

Does anyone live near Wilmington, NC?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They are a DOT installation. Our coupes all drove out of the factory without them. I am still angry I forgot to have my rear reflectors deleted during a respray. They put them on the back of my euro coupe, thankfully not on the front.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also deleted my side view mirrors from the doors. With the massive greenhouse there are little if any blind spots and I always instinctively turn my head anyway so I really did not use them.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, delete them and maybe replace the black tape behind the side grills that seems to be missing in the picture.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also deleted my side view mirrors from the doors. With the massive greenhouse there are little if any blind spots and I always instinctively turn my head anyway so I really did not use them.

Doug

Did you delete the driver-side door mirror as well? I would think that this may not pass inspection in some states.

Can u share a pic of the left side of your coupe.

Thanks

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US/NA coupes left the factory with side markers, they weren't added here. Only the A/C was installed after arrival, same with radio and antenna. Delete the lights, much cleaner without them.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
..in NC

To answer the question...I'm in Morganton, about 5 hrs due west...a few of us in the RDU area, couple or three in Winston-Salem area, at least a couple in CLT, one in Hickory, and another near me...I think a few/several others in NC...Give us a shout if you get up this way...
Dave V.

jmackro

Reaction score
I want to delete the side marker lights. ..... Will this take away the value?

As others have said, coupes look better without the side market lights, European cars didn't have them (true for both F and R?), and many of us (myself included) have deep six'd them.

However, you also asked about the impact on value. There are no absolutes here, but as of 2014, the e9 community isn't too hung up on originality. Tasteful modifications, such as 3.5L engines, 5-speed transmissions, aftermarket steering wheels, and yes, deleting the side markers, seem to have no negative impact on value. Whether this will still be true in another decade is anyone's guess.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Robert,

I am just up the road from you in Camp Lejeune. Let me know if you want to go for a drive; it's good to know there's another coupe in eastern Carolina.

Walter