First Draft: 74 Changes

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is my Fifth Draft, changes made from prior drafts, I will add pics later if I have them. Please give me your thoughts but be prepared to prove I am mistaken, I can be stubborn! Sorry, this is US/NA specific at this time.

Mechanical and Engine Bay Changes
  • Bell housing and slave cylinder from round slave to bolt on slave, T/O bearing and release arm revised
  • EGR plumbing added above valve cover, exhaust manifolds revised, added emissions dashpots and vacuum hoses
  • Emissions sticker added to heater fan cover
  • Motor mounts get added Stop Brackets
  • Zenith carbs and Thermo Starter Valve revised
  • Clamp holding Carbon Filter revised
  • Sheet metal exhaust manifold covers replace cast aluminum
  • Small plastic plugs added to inner fender seam near struts
  • Ignition coil and mounting bracket revised
  • A/C compressor is rotary style, no damping muffler needed in engine bay, belt changed
  • A/C drier bracket added below ignition coil, radiator has temp sensor on passenger side to turn on condenser fan at preset temp
  • Radiator and lower radiator hose revised
  • BW Automatic gets a plastic overflow tank on passenger side of engine bay, dipstick and tube revised for hose
  • Pedal box/booster mount changed, brake and clutch pedals and pads narrower
  • Fuel tank enlarged from 70 to 72L, now mounted from below trunk, fuel return line added from carbs to tank
  • Fan clutch changed from mechanical to viscous, fan also changes at 4310304 and 4335367
  • Coolant tank may have changed to plastic from painted brass requiring different coolant hose to manifold
  • Wiper motor gets a plastic cover
  • Tension strut nut changed from castle nut to locking nut
  • Steering shaft changed to accommodate adjustable column
  • Front stabilizer bar increased to 23mm from 17mm, clamp and rubber bushing enlarged
  • Rear stabilizer bar became optional and may not have been ordered by Hoffman
  • Rear subframe mount changed from universal to right and left handed

Interior and Trim Changes

• Upper door vinyl changed from basketweave to perforated
  • One piece carpet introduced during production, rear parcel shelf is now carpet instead of black vinyl
  • Seat pleats changed from vertical to horizontal, shoulder is now sewn and not tucked, headrest post caps are now black?
  • Lower seat is longer
  • Horseshoe shaped chrome trim on bottom of seat is now metal instead of chromed plastic and much thicker
  • Autoflug seatbelts have a new male tongue and receivers have revised shape with red pushbuttons
  • Front seatbelts have retractor inside rear armrest cover which is wider with a slot for the belt with a hook under the rear quarter window and a movable triangle to keep belts elevated at shoulder height
  • Steering column adjustable in and out with lever under column, upper and lower covers changed and are now plastic
  • Ignition lock revised
  • Steering wheel changed to four spoke faux leather with padded center hub
  • Brushed aluminum trim on dash rail is now one long piece instead of two pieces
  • Shift platform now holds the rear defrost switch instead of wiper speed, wiper speed functions moved to the right side stalk
  • Turn signal switch moved to left side of column
  • Hood release door has a receptacle for a rechargeable flashlight
  • Roof mounted grab handle covers may have changed to a longer style sometime during late production
  • Electric outside mirrors become available as an option at 4310329 and 4335392
  • Changes made to wiring harness, wire thickness changes, low beam/fog relay added, A/C fan switch revised which eliminates change-over relay at fuse block, seat belt interlock system added (relay under rear passenger seat)
  • No trunk caddy due to bumper supports, trunk boards narrower due to frame bracing
  • Toolbox is now a stronger one piece plastic with no lid, just foam on trunk lid
Exterior Changes
  • US/NA market coupes get a 5 mph shock absorbing bumper, front frame rail wider and long supports added inside trunk with longer plastic elephant skin covers
  • Kidney grille gets an 8 slat black plastic insert sometime during production
  • Wiper arms and blade holders are now black
  • Wiper squirters on hood may have changed during late production and are longer with two sprayer jets each
  • New paint colors available: Amazonas, Pastelblau, Jadegrun, Mintgrun, Sienabraun, Artisblau, Anthrazitgrau

Attachments

• IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A number of posts say no rear sway bar on stock 74. Not proof, but: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/rear-sway-bar-mystery.15314/#post-104797 https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/suspension-question.19651/post-140774 And some of the Scott Jordan threads discuss. I was working on no sleep at the time, but I discussed with Tom Baruch who thought big rear sway bars could be a menace in aggressive cornering, esp on non-LSD cars, and it made sense given additional rear support in 74. @Ohmess can correct me if my memory fails.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may be correct. The Parts Book lists the rear sway bar as optional equipment beginning with Euro Modell 73 and US Model 74. It was also listed as optional for the CSL and CSiL City Pack coupes.

I included a 74 Window Sticker, courtesy of Tim Mason from this Forum.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 4335410 T Mason sticker.jpg
    4335410 T Mason sticker.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
Separately, I also confirmed via BMW Classic Center and a period Euro upholstery brochure that perforated vinyl (to match the door panel trim) was available in '74.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lowell, You have vinyl seats which match the door panels with perforations? Good to know. Basketweave vinyl was available and commonly seen in Canadian and Euro coupes. Can you scan the upholstery brochure?

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here you go. This is the scan I got from Claudia Opel of BMW Classic at Essen earlier this year. I believe it's from the same brochure that I have, but will check and confirm. I am assuming that the "K" prefix represents Kuntstoff, or vinyl.

Attachments

• Farben_Herbst_1974.JPG
    Farben_Herbst_1974.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 209

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here you go. This is the scan I got from Claudia Opel of BMW Classic at Essen earlier this year. I believe it's from the same brochure that I have, but will check and confirm. I am assuming that the "K" prefix represents Kuntstoff, or vinyl.
Thank you Lowell, I have one of these but in US coupes this wasn’t an option so I never considered it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
excellent work Chris ... i knew most of these, but i learned a few that i wasn't aware of. thanks!

a few more

with the change of the gas tank in US '74, and the bumper braces, the floor boards are narrower than on other e9 coupes
one piece carpet in '74
under dash panel at steering column is different in '74
under steering column cover (with new handle) changes from metal to plastic
didn't the glove boxes go from push buttons to twist knobs?
didn't the coolant reservoir change from metal to plastic in '74?
rear interior side panels have longer metal trims due to deletion of access hole for window motor, also has trim / cutout for seat belt
rear wheel arch covers within the trunk change in US '74 due to bumper braces
didn't the C pillar roundel finishes change from cloissone to paint?
window motors changed (perhaps this changed prior to '74)
did the rear parcel shelf finish change to carpet in '74 (or earlier)?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, carpet and rear shelf are good calls. Some items you list were 73 as well. We are unsure about coolant tanks. I had steering column covers and dash rail trim. I will revise tomorrow.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
excellent work Chris ... i knew most of these, but i learned a few that i wasn't aware of. thanks!

a few more

with the change of the gas tank in US '74, and the bumper braces, the floor boards are narrower than on other e9 coupes
one piece carpet in '74
under dash panel at steering column is different in '74
under steering column cover (with new handle) changes from metal to plastic
didn't the glove boxes go from push buttons to twist knobs?
didn't the coolant reservoir change from metal to plastic in '74?
rear interior side panels have longer metal trims due to deletion of access hole for window motor, also has trim / cutout for seat belt
rear wheel arch covers within the trunk change in US '74 due to bumper braces
didn't the C pillar roundel finishes change from cloissone to paint?
window motors changed (perhaps this changed prior to '74)
did the rear parcel shelf finish change to carpet in '74 (or earlier)?
My 74 euro, Italian delivery does NOT have fog light indicator in the instrument cluster. Perhaps Perth cars were different.