Fishy eBay Turkis e9?

lloyd

Reaction score

Car sure is pretty. One description is not exactly as sharp as the car's finish.

The 15-inch alloy BMW wheels are good looking and wrapped in fine Fulda Classic tyres.

IMG_8598_305589.JPG

IMG_8534_966260.JPG

IMG_8536_662476.JPG

IMG_8589_091780.JPG

IMG_8600_017959.JPG

IMG_8601_618059.JPG

IMG_8621_735970.JPG

IMG_8652_972933.JPG

IMG_8637_622200.JPG

IMG_8633_037786.JPG

IMG_8634_573892.JPG

IMG_8639_014382.JPG

IMG_8640_898471.JPG

IMG_8651_759406.JPG

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The dealer's web site indicates it was sold - no 'price' when it was listed for sale is shown. Beautiful car - from Italy to Holland to ????. (Now we know - Flagstaff AZ).

Gary

Last edited:

akdavidmd

Reaction score
I just bought this car. I'll be waiting for a couple of months for shipping from the Netherlands, but I am thrilled to be joining the club. I've been following this terrific website for several years, trying to learn as much as possible. Having said that, I did everything wrong with this purchase, falling in love with the color and apparent condition and purchasing sight unseen. I did get additional underside pictures which also looked good, and I took a great leap of faith. Fingers remain crossed.

Andrew

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought this car. I'll be waiting for a couple of months for shipping from the Netherlands, but I am thrilled to be joining the club. I've been following this terrific website for several years, trying to learn as much as possible. Having said that, I did everything wrong with this purchase, falling in love with the color and apparent condition and purchasing sight unseen. I did get additional underside pictures which also looked good, and I took a great leap of faith. Fingers remain crossed.

Andrew

Congrats Andrew! The car is gorgeous. Don’t be surprised if you see it for sale several more times from scammers latching onto the stunning beauty of this one.

akdavidmd

Reaction score
Thanks, Markos, I am really excited. I previously imported a Lancia Fulvia Sport from the Netherlands with a friend, and it definitely turned out better than expected. Hopefully, my luck will continue. I can't thank you and all of the other experienced commenters enough for all of the knowledge that you generously share on this site daily.
Andrew

lloyd

Reaction score

Andrew
Congratulations! The exterior is beautiful and the upholstery looks almost too nice for human contact.

Couple of minor things to address. They are minor and mentioned only to the extent that the seller might have the parts - but somehow overlooked installing them. As indicated, you are missing rubber strip near the firewall /bulkhead. The forward arrow indicates that the rubber strip is in place. The brake fluid reservoir cap is missing a tiny vent cover.
jealous.jpg

Last edited:

akdavidmd

Reaction score
I saw that the middle rubber strip was missing, but I think I have a resource for the part. Good eye for the vent cover. I have so much to learn. Any comments, criticisms and tips are certainly welcome.

Andrew

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew,

Congratulations on what looks like a great purchase. I have always loved that beautiful color, and this certainly looks to be in fabulous condition. Had I been in the market, you definitely would have had some competition!!! - HA.

Let us know where you are located (via your avatar section), so if possible other admirers will be able to see this beauty in person as well.

Gary Knox

akdavidmd

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary. I really considered asking everyone for opinions when the car was first posted here a couple of weeks ago as a possible Ebay scam, but I was nervous that someone more experienced than me might beat me to it.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations! The exterior is beautiful and the upholstery looks almost too nice for human contact.

Couple of minor things to address. They are minor and mentioned only to the extent that the seller might have the parts - but somehow overlooked installing them. As indicated, you are missing rubber strip near the firewall /bulkhead. The forward arrow indicates that the rubber strip is in place. The brake fluid reservoir cap is missing a tiny vent cover.
View attachment 61081
I bought a new brake reservoir for my car. The cap did not have a vent cover. Looks like the same one that's in my '72 2002. Is the vent necessary? Really nice color!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any comments, criticisms and tips are certainly welcome.

Andrew

No criticisms from me. If you did nothing at your car it would turn more heads than 90% of the e9’s you see. Thanks Turkis! With that said, there is a lot of inexpensive tinkering you can do on the car to take it to the next level. Shift knob back to wood with taller lever. Instrument cluster bezel texture. Flip your hood light stopper. Zinc plate your airbox clips. Update your toolkit. Color match your headlight access panels and find white thumb screws. Acorn nuts in your strut studs.

I know you don’t take offense to the suggestions but others will. I honestly don’t know why. I guess I feel exempt from any perceived snobiness because my car is a rusty POS, and will be “just ok” once “restored”.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew,

Thanks for letting us know your location. NOW, I can look forward to hopefully seeing your car (and meeting you, of course). My wife and I travel to Flagstaff every fall to celebrate her step-daughter's birthday. The stepdaughter is a veterinarian, and owner of the 'Coconino Animal Hospital' on N. West street in Flag. If you have any small animals needing care, she is a most conscientious and passionate about animal care person.

We just returned from 2 weeks in Tucson, and I spent 4 years in Tempe in the '60's, so we are pretty familiar with the great and beautiful state of AZ. Hope we'll be able to get together this fall.

Cheers,

Gary Knox

Last edited:

akdavidmd

Reaction score
No criticisms from me. If you did nothing at your car it would turn more heads than 90% of the e9’s you see. Thanks Turkis! With that said, there is a lot of inexpensive tinkering you can do on the car to take it to the next level. Shift knob back to wood with taller lever. Instrument cluster bezel texture. Flip your hood light stopper. Zinc plate your airbox clips. Update your toolkit. Color match your headlight access panels and find white thumb screws. Acorn nuts in your strut studs.

I know you don’t take offense to the suggestions but others will. I honestly don’t know why. I guess I feel exempt from any perceived snobiness because my car is a rusty POS, and will be “just ok” once “restored”.
I love the tips. It never fails to amaze me how many details are second nature to so many of you guys. I am awed by the knowledge; it's not like all of this info is available in a single review text with pictures attached (don't we wish). I bought this at a driver level price, so will likely enjoy it as such. I look forward all of the information and banter available on this site.

akdavidmd

Reaction score
Andrew,

Thanks for letting us know your location. NOW, I can look forward to hopefully seeing your car (and meeting you, of course). My wife and I travel to Flagstaff every fall to celebrate her step-daughter's birthday. The stepdaughter is a veterinarian, and owner of the 'Coconino Animal Hospital on N. West street in Flag. If you have any small animals needing care, she is a most conscientious and passionate about animal care person.

We just returned from 2 weeks in Tucson, and I spent 4 years in Tempe in the '60's, so we are pretty familiar with the great and beautiful state of AZ. Hope we'll be able to get together this fall.

Cheers,

Gary Knox
Let me know when you'll be around. We just love N. Arizona; lots of blue sky days for cruising Flagstaff mountains and Sedona canyons.

lloyd

Reaction score
I bought a new brake reservoir for my car. The cap did not have a vent cover. Looks like the same one that's in my '72 2002. Is the vent necessary? Really nice color!

My comments were observations rather than criticisms and not intended to offend. The missing rubber strip serves to isolate/seal the engine bay from the heater intake assembly, thus minimizing engine bay fumes entering the cabin. Possibly more important, the strip also prevents possible metal to metal contact which would be a shame for nice new paint.

As to the other observation, it was a guess that there is a missing vent cover. It appears to be PN34321103064. I could be wrong and it may be some other style cap, since I'm not sure I see metal contacts. On my cars, that thin five cent piece-sized piece of plastic keeps a floating metal contact in place. The contact is integral to the reservoir fluid level sensor and the related dash warning light. The vent cover also serves to prevent debris and moisture from entering the reservoir. Per the photo, there is a pin hole vent. Its effectiveness at keeping things water tight is questionable, but I would rather have one than not, especially because I am apt to be clumsy with a hose. Newer replacement caps have a flexible membrane that provides the same function as the vent cover. I have seen other style caps that do not incorporate the sensor as well as original caps that have been modified with epoxy or RTV. In the end I don't think the vent cap is critical, but if it is like the one depicted below, it may trap water, etc.

Ind2LI.jpg

post-22859-13667666834046.jpg

Newer style replacement cap and sensor float.
boqe,cl1

Last edited: