Five bar kidney grills

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the black anodized 4 bar grill on my UK 72 is wrong?

To be precise, yes! Ideally you’d want an all silver one like this.
73CC18FA-891D-4CA5-9272-5482B78F6ADF.jpeg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Should have started hoarding these 5 slat anodized grills back in the early to mid 1990’s. Dealer price back then was about $70. Personally, I’ve bought at least 3 new ones back then (consumable parts). Shucks, lacked the foresight back then to buy a dozen of the grills and save them for a rainy day.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have the 4 black plastic slat grille? Those are for the Face Lift cars which took place somewhere in 1974.
As I pointed out, you’d want the old style, 5 slat all silver type off which I posted a pic.
Unfortunately these aren’t cheap nor easy to find in good shape.

mr bump

Reaction score
Your yet again on the button keshav, prices of the 5 bar type are silly,
But my grill is staying on.
It was more than likely changed on a service by the dealership because of slight damage or excessive wear. John castle told me many stories of parts swapping on scheduled services. Any part from an e3 was fair game to keep the e9 customer happy. John sent his car in once and the air filter box and front grill was different when he picked the car up! He was happy that the grill looked brand new and the Airbox wasent showing rust scabs anymore. Apparently, they were swapped from another customers car due to the parts not arriving on time!
This is why I look forward to the gaydon meet as the more my wife feeds John, the more stories he tells.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your yet again on the button keshav, prices of the 5 bar type are silly,
But my grill is staying on.
It was more than likely changed on a service by the dealership because of slight damage or excessive wear. John castle told me many stories of parts swapping on scheduled services. Any part from an e3 was fair game to keep the e9 customer happy. John sent his car in once and the air filter box and front grill was different when he picked the car up! He was happy that the grill looked brand new and the Airbox wasent showing rust scabs anymore. Apparently, they were swapped from another customers car due to the parts not arriving on time!
This is why I look forward to the gaydon meet as the more my wife feeds John, the more stories he tells.

Damn! That’s one hell’ve way to replace old and used parts.......
I think if you take a Csl to a shop, what will you drive out with :) ;)

mr bump

Reaction score
Damn! That’s one hell’ve way to replace old and used parts.......
I think if you take a Csl to a shop, what will you drive out with :) ;)
I always thought bmw were a blue chip very wealthy company in the 60s and 70s, but nothing is further away from that, they were terrible by all accounts.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, a major investment by the Quandt family (Swiss) in the late '50's, early 60's kept BMW independent. The COB had recommended they merge with MB not long before those investment Franks/Marks came in. Development of the New Class and the 1600/2002 really saved the company. Thankfully they still wanted to produce premium cars in the late 60's and 70's, thus the e9 made it to showroom floors.

A local example that is representative of the company in USA is the BMW dealer here in southeast Pennsylvania. The owner and founder of the first dealership in ~1970 was an immigrant from Hungary - great mechanic - who could afford to have only ONE new model on the very small showroom floor at any one time (and no used cars). His future son-in-law (also a recent immigrant and full time engineer from Budapest) was his part time salesman. Fast forward 45 years, the founder has died, the daughter and son-in-law own/run the business. It is located on a busy highway, has a new 35-40,000 square foot showroom, service facility and about 10 acres having at least 300 new cars at all times. I nearly bought the first Bavaria - Malaga - they had on the showroom floor in 1971. Reached agreement with salesman, but the owner negated the sale as not profitable enough. A week later I bought a demonstrator 2800 from a distant dealer then a used '73 CS a couple years later. They did all servicing I was not able to do. I've maintained friendship with the dealership over time.

Gary

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So the black anodized 4 bar grill on my UK 72 is wrong?
If it is a 4 bar grill it is from 74 or 75 ! 73 and or older have 5 bar on each side (total of 10) !
Also the 4 bar on each side(total of 8) are plastic, not Alluminum ! And the outer trim is thicker (beefier) !
I have seen many 73 or older with 74 grills ! I guess if they had to be replaced the old style may not have been available !

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, a major investment by the Quandt family (Swiss) in the late '50's, early 60's kept BMW independent. The COB had recommended they merge with MB not long before those investment Franks/Marks came in. Development of the New Class and the 1600/2002 really saved the company. Thankfully they still wanted to produce premium cars in the late 60's and 70's, thus the e9 made it to showroom floors.

A local example that is representative of the company in USA is the BMW dealer here in southeast Pennsylvania. The owner and founder of the first dealership in ~1970 was an immigrant from Hungary - great mechanic - who could afford to have only ONE new model on the very small showroom floor at any one time (and no used cars). His future son-in-law (also a recent immigrant and full time engineer from Budapest) was his part time salesman. Fast forward 45 years, the founder has died, the daughter and son-in-law own/run the business. It is located on a busy highway, has a new 35-40,000 square foot showroom, service facility and about 10 acres having at least 300 new cars at all times. I nearly bought the first Bavaria - Malaga - they had on the showroom floor in 1971. Reached agreement with salesman, but the owner negated the sale as not profitable enough. A week later I bought a demonstrator 2800 from a distant dealer then a used '73 CS a couple years later. They did all servicing I was not able to do. I've maintained friendship with the dealership over time.

Gary
Wow! What a nice story ! Thank you for sharing with us! Do you still have the BMW s you mentioned in this story?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow! What a nice story ! Thank you for sharing with us! Do you still have the BMW s you mentioned in this story?

Tony,

Unfortunately, I sold them in the early '80's. The CS was starting to show small signs of rust and the OPEC oil crisis had bumped gas prices to at or above $1 per gallon. Bought MB 300D for family car and an SL450 for daily driver.

My 'bottom line' would be much better if I'd just stored the '73 CS!! Bought the current '74 CS about 4 years ago partly to 'reminisce' about one of my all time favorite cars. Glad I bought it then, wish I'd bought it 5-6 years earlier.

Thanks for the comment about 'history'.

Gary

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes some of the studs are broken. Would you happen to know if they are welded or soldered into place? And do you have a good non-destructive technique to remove and replace them?
It appears that some of the studs on your grill has broken off ! Each grill has 4 studs (m5) 14mm tall .
The studs are needed to secure the grill to the body.[/QUOTE

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes some of the studs are broken. Would you happen to know if they are welded or soldered into place? And do you have a good non-destructive technique to remove and replace them?

You can easily use a nut and bolt (or zip ties :D) in lieu of studs. You can’t see them anyway.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The studs and the base is also aluminum! They are NOT soldered! They are heat pressed I was told (not sure) ! You can use a bench drill and a drill bits and drill in the middle of the broken studs and remove them and then put a M5 screw through the hole , jB weld the back and make it as close to original set up as possible , it takes a little time . But not too hard to do if you start with thinny small drill bits and increase the size of the bits as you go. Be careful as the Alluminum grills are very thin.
Best wishes!

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I will clean them up and let the next owner take the plunge on replacing the studs. Unless I suddenly find myself with an extra ounce of motivation and several hours of free time...

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Gary
Gary--Is that the BMW dealer on RT 202 north of Baltimore Pike? I test drove an X5 3.0 with my mom in the car with the salesman. Then we had a hot dog at Jimmy Johns.