Front Caliper Pistons

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Below is a image of a front piston from an E3 on the left and my E9 on the right. The E3 piston came from a caliper I bought used and am using for parts but my 72 E3 had a piston identical to that of the E9 on the left. The E9 piston also weighs a bit more. Explanation?

IMG_0042.JPG

BTW: What any New England Car guy does before the Super Bowl!...no, not driven in snow, just forgot to cover in storage.

IMG_0037.JPG

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anti-squeal improvement? I replaced the calipers in my '74 back in 2000 with rebuilds, worked fine for 18 years until they seized again. Noticed then none of the pistons matched, but they stopped the car just fine regardless. If you send out your calipers to be rebuilt by PMB Performance, they will match up the pistons.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
PMB Performance: I need mine rebuilt. Do you have contact information and an idea of the cost?

Thanks in advance. Robert Patton

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. As suggested, Sandy, Utah, mail order, I can make that work.

Any idea on the cost? I have the seal kits, but the Pistons are frozen in place and the air pressure trick isn't, working.

Next idea is to use a large tap on the female part of the piston, twist and turn the Pistons out....or just pay the PMB price.

Again, any ideas on cost?

Thanks, RP

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i used a hydraulic hand pump ( from a cilinder set ) to push out the pistons.....when air pressure wasn't enough.

mr bump

Reaction score
Anti-squeal improvement? I replaced the calipers in my '74 back in 2000 with rebuilds, worked fine for 18 years until they seized again. Noticed then none of the pistons matched, but they stopped the car just fine regardless. If you send out your calipers to be rebuilt by PMB Performance, they will match up the pistons.
To avoid the piston ceasing again. Buy a new set of pads and take 50% of the stopping material off, that way the piston get a better workout and won't cease. The discs are too thick for the calipers and the piston don't pertrude far enough, plus a set of pads will lat us enthusiasts a lifetime the amount of miles we do.
I've done the above and my calipers don't cease anymore.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
To avoid the piston ceasing again. Buy a new set of pads and take 50% of the stopping material off, that way the piston get a better workout and won't cease. The discs are too thick for the calipers and the piston don't pertrude far enough, plus a set of pads will lat us enthusiasts a lifetime the amount of miles we do.
I've done the above and my calipers don't cease anymore.

Sounds like a great way to get lung cancer. Seriously though, how do you remove 50%? CNC?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Probably should be flushing (bleeding) the brakes every year with as little as some of the guys on here drive their cars.

mr bump

Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to get lung cancer. Seriously though, how do you remove 50%? CNC?
The mere fact that you have to ask how to do this means my reply on how to do it will be lost on you markos. We've done this in motorsport for many years for better effective breaking. Il let you work out how to machine a flat surface.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The mere fact that you have to ask how to do this means my reply on how to do it will be lost on you markos. We've done this in motorsport for many years for better effective breaking. Il let you work out how to machine a flat surface.

You are right. I won’t understand. I’m not very technical and have little curiosity about engineering and fabrication. Good luck with your e9 sale. I sincerely hope that it goes quickly.

mr bump

Reaction score
Your too kind markos, no realy........when it goes i can then start the csl resto, which I'm looking forward to.