FS 1970 2800CS

Drola

Reaction score
i posted my car up for sale so I figured I'd share it here before someone else does and the trashing begins.
in my opinion it's an honest car and i represent it as such
is my price out of line?
am I crazy for selling?

Attachments

• IMG_8141.JPG
    IMG_8141.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_8160.JPG
    IMG_8160.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 228

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a great project car that someone can drive while they address the issues! It would probably do pretty good on BaT...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, if that non-running project can sell for >$30k, I would think you can easily get your asking price on BAT.

Nice looker!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you feel brave, I would shoot video of this inner fender cavity with your phone.

Also, pictures with the black rocker covers removed.

I think BaT is a good venue.

I would do BaT with a reserve of 24k and see what you get. You might get 30k.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Ya, if that non-running project can sell for >$30k, I would think you can easily get your asking price on BAT.

Nice looker!

but that was a damn nice car and a 3.0. if it was a buttoned up driver it probably wouldve been a 40k+ car.

I personally would value this car around 25k.

The white resprayed 74 with brown interior, that was a driver with a 3.5 and 5 speed was bidded up to 28k, which is a good comparison, although i value that car low 30s myself.

just my opinion. love the car and would love to have it for my next project. love the crank windows!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
but that was a damn nice car and a 3.0. if it was a buttoned up driver it probably wouldve been a 40k+ car.

I personally would value this car around 25k.

The white resprayed 74 with brown interior, that was a driver with a 3.5 and 5 speed was bidded up to 28k, which is a good comparison, although i value that car low 30s myself.

just my opinion. love the car and would love to have it for my next project. love the crank windows!

Ya, but the rust was way worse!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's all about the rust. Put it on a lift, pull the rocker covers and wheels off and take some detailed pics. If you want to go crazy, get a cheap scope and drop it into the known problem areas. If it's solid (a relative term w Coupes) the value would increase significantly. My 2 cents of course!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't think your asking price is crazy. Easy to pick the car apart, etc., etc. Harder to pinpoint a market value right now. My personal and worthless opinion is if someone offers at or near the $32k, you'd be gambling against the odds expecting a bigger number on BaT. My also worthless guess is that BaT will want a reserve ~$15-20k. Now, the difficult decision point for you is what to do if someone walks up with $24k cash today. Then, it is all about how much and how fast you want/need to sell it. Unless you're in a hurry, just let it ride on CL for a bit and see what offers you get from non-scammers. That might make your decision for you.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Ya, but the rust was way worse!

youre right. a little worse than i remembered. but not bad for a sunroof car. if that wasnt a sunroof car i bet that car would be so clean!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if anyone here has interest in my car please let me know. I'd let it go in the 25-26 range
Could someone do a quick repost. The listing has expired.

Footnote: To Jay and all the other dedicated, passionate and most of all knowledgable people on this forum, a request. Stop saying your observations, insights, thoughtful, diplomatic(and I will stop here with the moidifeirs, you get my point) evaluations are "worthless opinion/guesses" or fill in the blank. They are not!! They are invaluable lessons, tutorials, guides to understanding and evaluating a complex, classic automobile.

I, for one, can't wait to see what you Experts(notice the upper case E) have to say every time a new cars appears here.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's funny how BAT listed this car and it sold for 33K and my Tundra is not much worse and I wanted a reserve of 15K and they wouldn't take it. What did I ever do to them??

Drola

Reaction score
Doh you are right. Listing expired. When I get back to my computer I will find the original post.
This car was never listed on BAT for whatever it’s worth

floridabmx

Reaction score
It's funny how BAT listed this car and it sold for 33K and my Tundra is not much worse and I wanted a reserve of 15K and they wouldn't take it. What did I ever do to them??

Haha, dont feel bad. They do the same for me. They only want cars that will go into a bidding war and oversell.

Doh you are right. Listing expired. When I get back to my computer I will find the original post.
This car was never listed on BAT for whatever it’s worth

I believe he was speaking about the linked 72 3.0cs.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
if anyone here has interest in my car please let me know. I'd let it go in the 25-26 range

Seems like a fair price. Might require patience to get fair value. A local broker, who I’ve used as a valuation expert witness, agreed market has slowed. He likes to talk, but short-long answer, he isn’t convinced anything long-term or structural, so much as cautious buyers on disposable income purchases, fewer foreign buyers, currency, trade, & (specific to my region) energy market/price downturn. He thinks Jan & Feb will be important indicators as bonuses, tax issues, compensation, etc is sorted for some folks, and potential outlook/certainty on trade. He’s a bit of a BS’er, but sounded reasonable enough.

2002turbo

Reaction score
Car was on ebay a couple of months ago ... all photos are still there see

2002turbo

Reaction score
So BAT charges only $99 to list a car, they make their money off the buyer's commission (and I would argue a rather generous commission compared to other venues). For this reason they are reluctant to list cars that end up RNM (reserve not met) ... a huge waste of time and it often leads to a private deal that BAT doesn't get a piece of. So if they didn't want to list your car, it's because they thought it unlikely to sell at your reserve. And given that this particular car (Peter's car) has a stuck motor, generous amounts of rust, and what appears to be a trashed interior, their decision appears to be justified.