FS: '73 "high standard club car with turbina wheels"

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
overall looks like a reasonably nice car ... i would think that a seller seeking 42.5k would fix the little bit of rust near the sunroof as well as the s/r gasket.

alanmcg

Reaction score
And

There is no such thing as 'a little bit of rust near the sunroof' - on a sunroof car, if the rust has made it all the way to the surface, you can bet it's Swiss cheese underneath.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'a little bit of rust near the sunroof' - on a sunroof car, if the rust has made it all the way to the surface, you can bet it's Swiss cheese underneath.

One of the many reasons I'm glad mine is a slick top.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks nice, I'm thinking 35K tops (and that's after a thorough PPI) I agree with the Swiss cheese issue, however my car had a bubble in roughly the same place and I had it completely stripped and it was "isolated" to that area, so it is possible that the bubbling is limited. I like seeing the quality car cover in the trunk, shows someone cared a little. I think 45K would be a flawless, maintained super clean mid-mileage coupe that has not been sitting or stored and comes from a desirable climate. This one falls just 10K short from the pictures. IMO.

Also does not mention originality of the paint so there is always that possibility.

floridabmx

Reaction score

Wrong. Sun will fade and eat paint as will friction from the sunroof and the roof when opening it. Which then creates surface rust. Regardless not a hard fix anyway. GLWS.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wrong. Sun will fade and eat paint as will friction from the sunroof and the roof when opening it. Which then creates surface rust. Regardless not a hard fix anyway. GLWS.
while this might be true on a sunroof panel ... the car in discussion has rust on the main roof, not the sunroof itself. so different story.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Worth every penny.

I have a constant push pull on valuation. I am a believer these cars are seriously undervalued given quality of design and pedigree. I see no reason not to support the price. Car looks clean. May have issues but it is an E9.

For one I am prepared to embrace the new normal.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting opt Lotus, I also enjoy the "new normal" (especially when it's in our favor :) ). I think many on the forum "under-value" the cars because they know how expensive they are to fix/rebuild/maintain. Also, on any e9 that has been repaired there is always a major quality question- I'm not sure mechanics in the 70's were any better at working on them than mechanics nowadays. I also agree with your opinion about the uniqueness and quality of the cars even by today's standards. I think my lower valuation stems from the historic perspective in that 4 years ago this car would probably be likely to fetch 18-20K on a good day so we have to look at what is increasing their value at a rapid rate- There seems to be plenty of them out there, heck Carl has a bunch soaking up that beautiful CA sunshine that I'm sure he wouldn't mind parting with (although I could be wrong). I think the price will rise significantly when there are either less of them or the owners of the cars are not willing to sell them. Again, just an opinion but regardless of price I think the e9 is one fantastic automobile.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Isn't turbino a sugar used in coffee or tea? Maybe it's turbinado.

Either way we all know these cars are basically made of compressed confectioners sugar (thank you for that Scott Sislane) and we've seen many disolve and know how insidious rust can be and make a good looking car bad.

I enjoy seeing the values rise and enjoy looking at E9s for sale. It makes me realize all the time and money that's been put into Athena has not been wasted.
I hope this car sells well and the owner addresses any issues and joins this excellent forum.

jamesw

Reaction score
When we discuss here we place lower valuations on them because we are enthusiasts. It's the same on the Datsun Fairlady board I'm on. Half the people automatically think "Heck, I got one just like that for $26K so that's what it's worth."

And then the other half of us think "He wants $42K but it looks like it needs $15K in bodywork, so it's really a $27K car."

That's my theory on why enthusiasts drive down the prices.

If you look at the converse, because our cars are so expensive to repair, they get rarer and rarer every year. What we who have nice cars where the rust was already addressed will end up with is a beautiful, rare, and unique car. And hopefully highly valued because of that.

Cheers
James

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well said. I'd still like to know what a high standard club car is though. :)

When we discuss here we place lower valuations on them because we are enthusiasts. It's the same on the Datsun Fairlady board I'm on. Half the people automatically think "Heck, I got one just like that for $26K so that's what it's worth."

And then the other half of us think "He wants $42K but it looks like it needs $15K in bodywork, so it's really a $27K car."

If you look at the converse, because our cars are so expensive to repair, they get rarer and rarer every year. What we who have nice cars where the rust was already addressed will end up with is a beautiful, rare, and unique car. And hopefully highly valued because of that.

Cheers
James

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm going to work on my "high standard club car" today, so at 20.00 per hour it will be worth 100.00 more than last night. :)

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
My marriage went through a serious stress test when I bought my coupe.

I have always admired the design and was on my list as a maybe one of the last cars I'd want to buy.

2 years ago I started to see the prices creep up and thought if I don't act now I'll never be able to afford one. Happened onto what looked to be the perfect car through this forum. Flew to LA with one of the the steeliest stares I've seen on my wife burning a hole thru the back of my head. Don't think I heard more than 5 words out of her for the next month.

Today...she loves the car and I get a smile every time I go into the garage. Not sure there is monetary value there, but definitely value...

"Embracing the new normal"

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score

Cheers
James

Enthusiasts overthink it. It WOULD be a $50k car IF yada yada yada.

What it always comes down to is what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone sees the value in the car, and is willing to pay the money, then everything we say on the forums is irrelevant.

Also, I see this happen often on a lot of forums, and this one is no different. People have an idea of what they think their car is worth, and when a rougher example than theirs comes up for sale for the price they think their nice one is worth, it's easy to bad mouth the rough car, call the seller unrealistic, etc. it's almost like people take offense to it.

jamesw

Reaction score
Great points.

If our cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them, I think they aren't willing to pay as much as they would if they weren't scared of the rust and bad reputation for rust on these cars. The bad reputation comes from the fact that they DO rust, but also from the fact that whenever one goes up for sale, even if it's a frame off dipped car - people still say "Watch out for the rust!" lol

Great Saturday today - I should get outside and drive!

Cheers
James

execmalibu

Reaction score
These E9 offered are beautiful Drivers... NOT show cars!

I have commented before that most of you guys are incredibly tough on almost every E9 that is offered for sale. These cars are NOT brand new cars.

You should consider that these all of the E9s offered so far are considered "Drivers" and NOT frame Off Rotisserie Restored "Show Cars". Driver quality cars will have minor flaws!

I would like to see the comments if Stan, Chris or myself offered any of our E9s for sale.

I will tell you that the Great Pumpkin ( 73 3.0CS) underwent a $48,000 bare metal, engine out, full restoration about 8 years ago...

And guess what? Even though the car is from So Cal and as rust free as any E9 could possibly be there are a few tiny bubbles behind the Sunroof that were there when I bought the car 3 years ago... Carl Nelson said that " behind the Sunroof is a problem area on E9s"

So I guess that is why the second owner who spent all the time and $48,000 restoring the car could not sell this beautiful E9 for more then $14,500? Obviously because the car was not absolutely PERFECT... Hell he only had it for sale on Hemmings for 6-8 months!

Take a look at a few other imperfect E9s... I will show you the flaws... Flame away...

Attachments

• CSI Blue:tan.jpg
    CSI Blue:tan.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Great Pumpkin at show.jpg
    Great Pumpkin at show.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Dark Blue 2800CS Rt.jpg
    Dark Blue 2800CS Rt.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 142
  • A BMW 3.0CS.jpg
    A BMW 3.0CS.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I never thought seriously about whether my 2800CS or my current 74 CSi appreciated, depreciated or stayed the same. I fell in love with our beautiful cars when I was 20, managed to buy the 2800 in my early 40s, and took the insurance money when I wrecked it(long painful story I replay often) to buy the CSi.
I make sure the agreed value is high enough to replace it. That's it.

I don't ever think about selling. It will go to my daughter when I am not longer able to drive or it will be sold when I die. At that point it won't matter.

Why all this angst about appreciation when we could be driving.

Steve

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff,

You bought your coupes at the right time and all of them are very nice. My coupe has flaws too, one just has to look harder to find them.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sometimes you get a deal. I'd have bought that Pumkin car all day long at around $20K.
Peter's new car is another deal.

Mine was a deal too. One of the luckiest large purchases I have made in my adult life.

(not counting the Jumbo case of firecrackers I scored as a ten year old)