FS: CL- North Tucson 1973 BMW CSI $19K Tiaga

stardoc

Reaction score
He got back to me after 3 days stating that he's had a lot of offers and will be employing some professional help to reassess his asking price. I get the sense there is no grand scheme in his motives and he's realized that perhaps he's under priced the car. He's a 2 hour drive from Phoenix and if he gets back to me with a firm price I may drive to take a look at it.

shanon

Reaction score
some rudder trivia

Its hard to make out from the lower res pic from the CL ad, but I'm willing to wager that it says 'Alpina" and not 'Momo'. Script just looks a bit too long, but blurs out when I zoom in on pic. But I may be wrong....a good pic or go see will truly tell...

Original 'Alpina" Momo wheels were 350mm, then 380s came out. Alpina was stamped on the 6 o'clock spoke, 350s had Alpina stamp after top hole, 380s after the second. This later 380 appears to have a slight dish to it also.

Yes the iconic Prototipos are still made today and can be had for a couple hundred bucks. I have also seen re-pops of three spokers with an Alpina stamp out there too.

However, the real deal, original, period correct, flat (no dish) MOMOs (mid 60s/earliest 70s) had the MOMO logo 'stacked' like blocks (MO over MO) on the back side of the 6oclock spoke. These 'stacked' MOMOs command the highest prices due to their rarity and demand from the P & F-car folks...finding a period 'stacked' MOMO is challenging and or pricey. I have seen listings for older (late 70/80s) MOMO Prototipos but the logo is stamped on the front...not the same.

Finding an authentic vintage 'stacked' MOMO stamped 'Alpina'= true unicorn/hens tooth....

hth!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Shanon,

The prototipo has two holes on the upper spokes and three holes on the lower spoke. I don't know what the CL wheels is, but it has two holes on each spoke. The spokes aren't flat either, which seems odd for an Alpina wheel. Also, the lettering although blurred, is viably low on the lower spoke, not where the typical Alpina logo sits.

I don't doubt that yours is an Alpina, but Your wheel appears to be based on a Momo Indy. Upon closer inspection of your picture though, you have visible lines on your upper spokes exactly where the original leather would protrude. My guess is that yours was a prototipo, and the leather is gone from the upper spokes. It just might be that the Indy and prototipo are the same wheel frame, with the prototipo covering the third hole on the upper spokes. I find that observation quite interesting because while one can score vintage Indy wheels for $150 all day long, the prototipo wheels can easily fetch $1,000. One could easily recover an Indy to make it a prototipo.

I have a wood 350mm Indy with flat spokes. My guess is that it was manufactured between '74 and '76. It has the new Momo logo, which started in the early 70's, but no date stamp (dates starting in '76). The Indy has three holes on each spoke and the leather doesn't make its way onto the spokes like the prototipo. The ends of thee Indy spokes are flared and not covered by leather. There have been a few iterations of the Momo logo, and stacked was the second iteration. There is some great info in the thread below on FerarriChat.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/20...ng-wheels-history-steering-wheel-206-s-2.html

SPORTLENKRAEDER1.jpg

Prototipo Based Alpina Wheel:
alpina_cocpit_02_70.jpg

Stacked MoMo Indy:
attachment.php

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Cool info/pic Markos, thx for posting.

Yes, my wheel had the '3rd' holes covered originally. Its a stacked Prototipo.

I agree that I think many MOMO wheels had same hole's patterns but different 'trim levels', 3rd hole exposed or covered- same frame- two different SKUs.

Good mfg/production design, two birds from one eggg.

;-)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From someone who saw the Taiga coupe: it's a total mess, the front windshield didn't fit in the body, many, many issues.