Fuel System rehab

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Oh no! sorry to hear your drama.

If your at wits end, try giving Mesa Performance a jingle. I sent all my calipers to them for rebuilding and am very happy with the results.
They may be able to sort your set out with the proper ones from their inventory/stash.

HTH
-shanon

+1 I have had nothing but good experiences with Mesa Performance. Seems like all the cars and parts are on the left hand side of the country?

David

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Maiden Voyage

Well I got to take "Rip von Winkle" around the block today and have a couple of questions;

1) The clutch disc is rusted to the flywheel. Aside from pulling the transmission out is there a way to break it free?
2) My cold start valve is not get +12 volts. Where is the cold start relay located?
3) I found the mess pictured below. Two modern Bosch relays taped together and hanging out below the washer tank?

I also included a photo of Rip outside.

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 134

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Rusted clutch? If the car is in a position where you can move it some, put the trans in 1st gear and try to start the car!

I've also read of people towing a car with the trans in gear, but this seems a little riskier to me. I would want to use a long tow strap and I would be concerned about where to hook the tow strap to a coupe.

This all seems kind of brutal, but doesn't seem to do harm unless you have a component that is already weak.

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Rusted clutch? If the car is in a position where you can move it some, put the trans in 1st gear and try to start the car!

I've also read of people towing a car with the trans in gear, but this seems a little riskier to me. I would want to use a long tow strap and I would be concerned about where to hook the tow strap to a coupe.

This all seems kind of brutal, but doesn't seem to do harm unless you have a component that is already weak.

Thanks Bill I will give it a try! Any idea where the cold start relay might be located?

David

Bertocchi

Reaction score
You are probably saying to yourself this guy has turned this thread into a monologue and not a discussion but here I go again. Perhaps some of my observations will strike a cord with someone?
With a pressure gauge hooked in series on the fuel supply side I started the car and got up to operating pressure. The car runs nicely.
Using pliers that are designed specifically for pinching lines to keep them from leaking I clamped the return line, the pressure rose and I shut off the engine. The pressure dropped very quickly.
I then did the same but clamped the supply side instead and the pressure dropped slowly. This indicates to me that the fuel is flowing backwards in the supply line and back to the accumulator and pump, then tank?
The diagram featured on the attached page clearly shows a ball check valve on both sides of the fuel pump yet my car and the parts books don't feature one. I had a similar problem with Volvo years ago and purchased a new check valve. I can't find anyone that knows anything about one today? A small item that I feel is important.

David

Attachments

• Fuel pump.jpg
    Fuel pump.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 128

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Update

I found the cold start and fuel pump relays. They are right behind the brake and mounted next to each other. They both appear to be working fine on the bench.
While tracing the harness I found some very poorly done wiring and also found the temperature sensor for the cold start. To make things easier I pulled the intake plenum off.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG