Garage Slab: Rebar, Mesh, Nothing?

Can you lay down a thin plastic moisture barrier?

Yeah that is happening no matter what. I got the mesh, foam, and vapor barrier this morning. I may be slow on car stuff but I don’t mess around on house projects. :D

165E85EE-8399-4F2F-B2E9-8BB077C15F52.jpeg

Mark,

Built my hobby garage 16 years ago, used WWF above vapor barrier (but garage is built on a side hill and floor is predominantly over compacted/ground up concrete highway fill up to 8' deep, so moisture isn't problem). Grooves cut and no cracks any where other than minor ones at grooves. Rebar also included under lift posts, and concrete is double thickness (6" normal, 12" there) in a 2 foot square area. Floor is fairly level side to side and slight tilt toward entrance being lower. Have a 10K asymmetric lift and 10'4" ceiling with the top of the posts extended through it and area between/above posts covered and insulated. Need most of that height for being able to stand under raised car to work there. 6" walls with insulation and 12" beams in ceiling with full insulation and flooring to provide 'attic' storage. Two ton heat pump for year round usage where temps in our area range from mid 90's to occasional single digits. Have an exhaust fan on one wall (small restaurant kitchen type).

I'm thankful for the garage every day I find myself doing something there!

Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Gary

Mark,

Built my hobby garage 16 years ago, used WWF above vapor barrier (but garage is built on a side hill and floor is predominantly over compacted/ground up concrete highway fill up to 8' deep, so moisture isn't problem). Grooves cut and no cracks any where other than minor ones at grooves. Rebar also included under lift posts, and concrete is double thickness (6" normal, 12" there) in a 2 foot square area. Floor is fairly level side to side and slight tilt toward entrance being lower. Have a 10K asymmetric lift and 10'4" ceiling with the top of the posts extended through it and area between/above posts covered and insulated. Need most of that height for being able to stand under raised car to work there. 6" walls with insulation and 12" beams in ceiling with full insulation and flooring to provide 'attic' storage. Two ton heat pump for year round usage where temps in our area range from mid 90's to occasional single digits. Have an exhaust fan on one wall (small restaurant kitchen type).

I'm thankful for the garage every day I find myself doing something there!

Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Gary

Great info Gary! I won’t have 90% of that! :D

2x6 walls
2x10 joists
batting insulation
Drywall
4” slab
Wire mesh
No mini split

No headroom! :)

Not only do I not have a tall stand alone garage, we aren’t allowed to build one on the property unless it has a ADU above it.

Mark, decisions like you made aren't about what you should do while constructing the garage, it's what you wish you'd done six months from now. In the end, the extra expense is less and less as you look back at it.

True, except I have a whole house down to studs full of those decisions not just a garage. I do need to make logical concessions here and there. :D

True, except I have a whole house down to studs full of those decisions not just a garage. I do need to make logical concessions here and there. :D
Always, but if I try to imagine what would be more important to me looking back after all the time, energy and expense is put into a project the "that bugs me" list should be as short as possible. I guess it's just another way to help me make decisions.

Always, but if I try to imagine what would be more important to me looking back after all the time, energy and expense is put into a project the "that bugs me" list should be as short as possible. I guess it's just another way to help me make decisions.

Totally agree. Our front entry was on the “that bugs me list”. Not only am I rebuilding it, but the scope is large enough that we need to resubmit to the city. Just had to do it though!

Back