It uses glass beads so same issue cleaning if you doing engine parts
And same issue of aluminum greying if not coated

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
vapor blasting does look good
It uses glass beads so same issue cleaning if you doing engine parts
And same issue of aluminum greying if not coated

I vapor blasted my brake calipers just to get the rust off them before rebuilding. They look great, and for some reason haven’t flashed yet. There is a misconception that vapor blasting is clean. It is not any different from bead blasting. I obviously need to clean the calipers very well when I rebuild them.

I did my valve cover and some brass tanks:
D93A2533-B025-4B03-9FC8-AE28A63F03BE.jpeg

I also did my gas grille grates:
F4E01E34-E80E-4F56-B887-6757FACE3122.jpeg

Marc-M

Reaction score
Vapor blasting is the best way to get the parts looking the best possible, but it does cost a few $$ - However if you want a finish that is only a little less and you have a blast cabinet and you want to save money the way I suggest is a great way.

Please let it be known that I am not taking any credit for finding out about the best way to do this – it’s all been plagiarised off YouTube, I watched a few videos and put it all together.

Blast cabinet…

The 3 main modifications to get the cabinet to work very very well are

• Metering valve…
These can be purchased for $100 or more – however my blast cabinet cost $100 so wanted a cheep way out… so found this

please note – the threaded tube in the middle about 6 inch I did not use but put in this section below.

xx.jpg

• Dust extractionYou can buy these off the self but again they are expensive – if you use your vac direct it will get full of fine dust and will not work so I got one of these dust separations off eBay and bolted to an old paint tin
  • https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-...ust-Collector-Cyclone-Collector-/253744759421
  • Lighting - well I was not about to rewire the cabinet – so I just use my rechargeable portable led light – I wrap it in cling film to keep it clean….

The media I use for deep cleaning at high pressure of 80 psi (or more)

Aluminium Oxide BAO 60/80 Medium Grade 25KG

And to finish at 40 to 50 psi

Glass Bead Abrasive 106-212

And how to do use it - see

See

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also modified my blasting cabinet; it is same construction, as it all comes from China.
This valve at the bottom is next up on my list; it seems to solve the same problems (blocked lines) that I suffer as well + I like the idea that it facilitates quicker change of abrasives. Switching korund to glass and back now means o have to lift it up and shake it out into a bucket; not convenient.
Like Marc, the OP, I also use glass beads to peen aluminium at a lower pressure. I agree it works well.

Regarding lighting I use a high output LED that I just lay flat on the glass plate. Best solution regarding lighting if you ask me, as you simply don't have to worry about your lamp getting blasted, and you can also use the lamp for different purposes, like under your car.
I also hooked up a dust extractor; I use a normal vacuum cleaner running but between the blasting cabinet and the vacuum cleaner I put a cyclone separator that I purchased at a local second hand store. It's actually a thing that is used to clean the ashes from your fireplace, so all steel and no plastic.
Works great to keep the main stuff out of your vacuum cleaner.

regards, Erik.

Marc-M

Reaction score
If you will replaced the 6 inch tube with this small connector, where did you insert the half-inch measuring tube that controls the amount of air going in?
Hi - i drilled through the hex bit of the connector to form the outlet for the pipe - the thread size was 10mm , it just fits on the flat of the hex- and for the outer vent i used a m10 bolt , drilled down the center with a 6.5mm drill to - and used a m6 bolt to used as the regulator...

Last edited:

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Marc........I had all my engine components ceramic coated cost $380 aud. will never have to touch again...... restored the 230sl mercedes 7 years ago (same thing) and still looks new. Also helps dissipate heat. Love that porsche under carriage:love:

Attachments

• 20181005_114615.jpg
    20181005_114615.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 146