Good source for suspension parts.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
With PBCM springs in hand I need to purchase Bilstiens, strut and shock mounts, bushings etc. Prices seem to vary significantly. Any vendor recommendations would be appreciated.

Honolulu

Reaction score
There are a goodly number of shops that sell Billies, but I don't think you're going to get off easy with any of them.

Then again, Billies have a lifetime warranty, so if you can handle installation yourself, you might feel somewhat protected if you buy used, given someone locally to rebuild them. Custom valving is also available.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As far as suspension bushings and and spring pads. What is the best way to go, Urethane or OEM rubber units?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
depends on how many fillings you want to jar loose. i much prefer rubber, urethane is just too stiff unless you are going to spend all of your time on a nice smooth track.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
depends on how many fillings you want to jar loose. i much prefer rubber, urethane is just too stiff unless you are going to spend all of your time on a nice smooth track.

The bushings (control arms, etc ) are affected significantly by the different material? I will stay with the OEM units then.

otter74

Reaction score
Unless you are really going all-out with your suspension, I'd stick with rubber bushings. Poly bushings generally require some lubrication and will squeak anyway, and they noticeably increase impact harshness over road disturbances and small bumps. I have a 911SC that's lowered a lot on stock torsion bars, good shocks, and polybronze suspension bushings (rear swing arm pivots, semi-trailing arm ball joints, front torsion bar pivots, upper strut mounts are rubber) and the car rides well due to the OE torsion bars but I really notice the impact harshness. It doesn't both me, but it's worth knowing based on what you want your suspension to be biased towards.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Unless you are really going all-out with your suspension, I'd stick with rubber bushings. Poly bushings generally require some lubrication and will squeak anyway, and they noticeably increase impact harshness over road disturbances and small bumps. I have a 911SC that's lowered a lot on stock torsion bars, good shocks, and polybronze suspension bushings (rear swing arm pivots, semi-trailing arm ball joints, front torsion bar pivots, upper strut mounts are rubber) and the car rides well due to the OE torsion bars but I really notice the impact harshness. It doesn't both me, but it's worth knowing based on what you want your suspension to be biased towards.
My goal is to keep the ride quality as close to factory while improving the handling and lowering the stance (in that order). I really appreciate the input.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
lowering the stance, you have a couple of options
1. buy lowering springs from LaJolla Independent
2. ask @HB Chris who's springs he used to improve the stance of his new chamonix.

otter74

Reaction score
Replacing control arms is obviously easier; and replacing the bushings is obviously cheaper. The reason I typically hear for just replacing the bushings, aside from cost, is that the quality of a new replacement part is not necessarily as good as the original part. I'd be less inclined to concern about this with a cast control arm, though I don't really know what to think of the ball joint.