Good source for suspension parts.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Replacing control arms is obviously easier; and replacing the bushings is obviously cheaper. The reason I typically hear for just replacing the bushings, aside from cost, is that the quality of a new replacement part is not necessarily as good as the original part. I'd be less inclined to concern about this with a cast control arm, though I don't really know what to think of the ball joint.

Thank you. I suppose its contingent on the condition of the ball joints...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I heard that control arms no longer come with the bushings, can anyone confirm? It might have been 2002 arms.

otter74

Reaction score
I am putting new front end bushings in my E12, and looked around to see what was available in the way of arms before deciding to get new bushings to press into my OE arms. I did see that you could get new loaded control arms for an E12, and I think these are the same as the later, longer E3 arms.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do believe I got BMW e12 arms which were available and fit my 72 E3 and also E3 bushings that were available and swapped out the e12 bushings to create an OEM E3 arm. This was 8 years ago though.

I use poly on subframe bushings since they are a PIA to change (on my e24 but got those IE poly inserts for the E3 and E9 that went into OEM bushings). Also use them on sway bar links since the rubber ones get compressed so quickly, those are the only places.

otter74

Reaction score
I do believe I got BMW e12 arms which were available and fit my 72 E3 and also E3 bushings that were available and swapped out the e12 bushings to create an OEM E3 arm. This was 8 years ago though.

I use poly on subframe bushings since they are a PIA to change (on my e24 but got those IE poly inserts for the E3 and E9 that went into OEM bushings). Also use them on sway bar links since the rubber ones get compressed so quickly, those are the only places.
Are poly subframe bushings significantly easier to install than rubber ones? (Are they two-piece bushings?) I'll do the rear suspension on my car next year so I've wondered about that.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the E3 and E9, they are one piece but not pressed in, bolted on. Access to the bolts can be difficult. The OEM ones are perforated and Ireland Engin makes a poly component that fits into the perforations for added stiffness. I think I recall seeing complete poly ones also which did not exist when I replaced them but I would have used.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am having difficulty locating the OEM BMW #31 12 123 553 thrust bushings. I have ordered them from two different sources only to have the orders cancelled a couple hours after. Any thoughts on a possible source for these?

I read all the horror stories about installation attempts (fails) of the Walloth units, so that's out.

otter74

Reaction score
I am having difficulty locating the OEM BMW #31 12 123 553 thrust bushings. I have ordered them from two different sources only to have the orders cancelled a couple hours after. Any thoughts on a possible source for these?

I read all the horror stories about installation attempts (fails) of the Walloth units, so that's out.
I thought I just ordered a pair for my E12 from FCP Euro - so I went to my order, and realized that I ordered the wrong part - oops! The part number you gave doesn't even show up there.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought I just ordered a pair for my E12 from FCP Euro - so I went to my order, and realized that I ordered the wrong part - oops! The part number you gave doesn't even show up there.

There are a few part numbers for the same units (pair) one of them is: # 31 12 123 552.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 553 number shows NLA or backorder, but I was able to order a couple sets with the 552 number. Not sure how long that will last.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Each of my attempts to source the thrust bushing set has failed (both 31121123552 and 31121123553). Does anyone have a cross reference number for a slightly larger unit that I can turn down to the same OD of the originals?

Those who have used the two piece urethane units; was the difference in material noticeable (harsher)?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Each of my attempts to source the thrust bushing set has failed (both 31121123552 and 31121123553). Does anyone have a cross reference number for a slightly larger unit that I can turn down to the same OD of the originals?

Those who have used the two piece urethane units; was the difference in material noticeable (harsher)?
Try Roger's Tii - he still shows them in stock, every other place is OOS.