Got tires?

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vredestein Sprint Classics are an option to the Michelin XWXs. Although the price difference gap has come down quite a bit and the XWXs were the OEM tire.

If money is not an issue it the XWXs would be my preference. Both good tires however.

Henrik

Reaction score
Fulda has a tire called Carat Assuro. It seems to have the right dimensions for our cars and apparently has good reviews. They have a classic look and reasonably price too. Someone with personal experience out there?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had no idea finding tires would be such a challenge! Searched the web for Vredestein and Fulda dealers in the SF Bay Area with no luck. In fact according to Fulda website they have no dealers in the US. Also tried to get quotes on line, and when entering year of car the selection only went back to 1983. 14" rims also are not a standard size any more (based on sizing charts on these websites)? Even tried eBay and found nothing in 14". Haven't made any phone calls yet, but disappointed so far. :(

Bummed, Mark

w. chen

Reaction score
195-70x14 tires

try onlinetires.com
they have excellent prices on the name brands. avoid the no name brands (chinese made). kelly and cooper are pretty good too (usa). shipping is either free or minimum. also some brands in 225/70x14. if ordering, please call to confirm availability. there have been some complaints about sloppy shipments. also try www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com. both located in socal

w. chen

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
E28 528es came with 14" wheels and 195/70/14s. Made from '82-'88 for the US. You can use that if you have to use a vehicle to search but most sites (even costco) let you use just the tire size. There isn't much out there for those sizes. Most are S or T rated to boot. For show only, I'd look at the XWXs but I'd recommend looking at a set of 15" or better yet 16" wheels for driving. Tire selection is good for higher performance applications. Big fan of the Continental Extreme Contact DW myself. It all depends on what you want but aside from specialty offerings, there isn't much to reward those of us with vintage BMWs when it comes to 14" wheels.

Bavman

Reaction score
I had the Fulda's on a Volvo, The sidewalls did not seem very stiff compared to a Michelin...I am sure they are a better quality tire than what was available when these cars were new but just seemed "cheap" I would check where they are manufactured.

Also I have had a lot of problems with Michelins on cars that sit a lot, I am sure that goes for pretty much any tire though. Have had a lot of broken belts...

I have a lot of cars with 14 inch wheels, seems everyone says there are no tires available, again probably any tire is better than what was out in the 70's I think there is a pretty good range of 195/70/14 or maybe 205/65/14 still out there.

Al Taylor

KHB

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went with the Michelin Defender from The Tire Rack on stock wheels. The ride is softer and quieter compared to the 15 year old 195/70/14 Yokohama Avid's that had about 6,000 miles on them.

I have the Volvo fender liners installed and had a slight rub issue on the left front at full left lock and light compression so I went with 195/70's up front and 205/70's on the rear. While I am happy with the performance of the tires so far, it is one skinny looking 195 series tire. I wish I had gone with 205/70's all around and worked to resolve the clearance issue instead. The tread pattern is different between the 195 and 205 so keep that in mind if you are thinking about this particular staggered set up.

decampos

Reaction score
I bought a set of Vredestein Sprint Classics last year but I wished I'd have hung on a while longer as Blockley, a UK based tire company who's tires I think look great (authentically vintage looking), have just introduced a 205/70/14VR size.

This company based in Los Angeles (I believe) appears to sell them:
Lucas Classic Tires 205/70VR14 $369.00

I have no affiliation what-so-ever and though they are a UK company, their tires are made in Indonesia.

205_VR_14.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I've got plenty of leads and viable websites now. Also stopped at Big O tires in town to chat with them about tires. They had several tires in stock at 195 70 14. Guess I was searching the web using the wrong words.

Question about width. Currently my coupe has 195 70's on her. I'd like to go to 205's but I'm concerned they may rub on the struts. The tires currently are about one-half inch from the struts. How much wider is a 205 than a 195 (10mm?)? If it is 10mm, is it safe to assume that's 5mm on each side? Seems the rubbing issue came up last time I was looking at tires (probably 20 years ago).

Thanks again for all your input!!

Cheers, Mark

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any rubbing issues with 205's unles you're really low. Speedo will be slightly off.

Thanks everyone! I've got plenty of leads and viable websites now. Also stopped at Big O tires in town to chat with them about tires. They had several tires in stock at 195 70 14. Guess I was searching the web using the wrong words.

Question about width. Currently my coupe has 195 70's on her. I'd like to go to 205's but I'm concerned they may rub on the struts. The tires currently are about one-half inch from the struts. How much wider is a 205 than a 195 (10mm?)? If it is 10mm, is it safe to assume that's 5mm on each side? Seems the rubbing issue came up last time I was looking at tires (probably 20 years ago).

Thanks again for all your input!!

Cheers, Mark

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cheers, Mark[/QUOTE]

225 x 60 x 14 - no rubbing on the struts, did need to roll the fenders

Reaction score
Cheers, Mark

225 x 60 x 14 - no rubbing on the struts, did need to roll the fenders

Stan,
Are your 225's on stock wheels? I know the wheel offset can affect where the tire 'lands' in relation to the strut on the inside and fender well on the outside. I have lots of room on the outside, and not much on the inside. I'm running 14" dia BBS's, not sure of the width or the offset.

Cheers Mark

[/QUOTE]