group buy on Stahl headers ??

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
guys,

our group of 7 is down to 6 ... so we are still hoping that one or two more of you are thinking about joining in with us. let me know.

for the guys that are in, we are exploring different ceramic coating companies and pricing. more soon.

scott

pamp

Reaction score
Some eye candy

Stahl headers as installed by Korman...
m30hdr.jpg
[/URL]
I am a bit surprised that Stan would not make a visit with Judy Stahl....New England neighbors and all....I am curious as to the price of the jigs...

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks nice Alan, how are the mystery headers of unknown origin working?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perfect...I was curious why you abandoned the "headers of mystery" ?
(Short Tube)

I am splurging on a second set.....can't really justify it, but I don't mind having extra parts for the long term. Mine are a little weakened due to corrosion. Hopefully I can do an A-B comparison one day.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stahl headers as installed by Korman...
m30hdr.jpg
[/URL]
I am a bit surprised that Stan would not make a visit with Judy Stahl....New England neighbors and all....I am curious as to the price of the jigs...
Pamp,

Stahl wants $5k for the jigs for all 18 BMW models.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would like to be added to this group purchase if it is not too late.
i got your PM, you are in ... please send me your email address, and let me know which size ... and whether or not you are interested in the ceramic coating. (additional cost)

cheers
scott

pamp

Reaction score
Scott...I am glad you are able to put this together. My conversations with Judy...she is good people. I would love to visit their shop to see how this build is done...benders, welding techniques...the entire process as was done by her father, old school and good school. Seems she wants to continue on but focus on the volume seller...muscle cars. Very hard to compete these days with the pipes coming from China for late model apps. Could be that cottage manufacture is dead, but I for one hope that someone may carry on in the vintage spirit....why we do this...yes? Good value this buy is as Korman wants close to double for NOS in their stash.
One thing to do for sure you guys as you install the pipes...First, I find ceramic coating is essential and even with, you need heat shields to deflect the heat down and away. The naked is nice to look at, but whatever gain the pipes give you will lose with the major increase in under hood (read intake air temp.) temperatures.
I look forward to following this thread...
Allen

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott...I am glad you are able to put this together. My conversations with Judy...she is good people. I would love to visit their shop to see how this build is done...benders, welding techniques...the entire process as was done by her father, old school and good school. Seems she wants to continue on but focus on the volume seller...muscle cars. Very hard to compete these days with the pipes coming from China for late model apps. Could be that cottage manufacture is dead, but I for one hope that someone may carry on in the vintage spirit....why we do this...yes? Good value this buy is as Korman wants close to double for NOS in their stash.
One thing to do for sure you guys as you install the pipes...First, I find ceramic coating is essential and even with, you need heat shields to deflect the heat down and away. The naked is nice to look at, but whatever gain the pipes give you will lose with the major increase in under hood (read intake air temp.) temperatures.
I look forward to following this thread...
Allen
Allen,

no doubt Korman wants more. Stahl's list price is 1127, korman's is about 1350 (have the info on my desk). then korman charges around 400 for the ceramic coating ... so its around 1750 for headers for our coupe. korman has the cost of shipping to them in their price, plus their overhead + profit. question is, what is korman going to do going forward. every engine they build except stock is advertized as coming with the stahl header.

so yes, this would be a cottage industry. if we (collectively) bought the jigs, instructions and samples - then we would have to find somebody to bend the tubes and do quality fabrication. so if 10 of us bought the entire bmw line - it would cost us $500 each. i'm sure we could find somebody in nascar country that could do great work. the question is, could we make any money doing it? at least enough to get us a free header and pay for our investment. look at it this way, we already have 7 people ready to buy a header for $810 ea (plus shipping and ceramic). that's more than the cost of the jigs. ok, i do realize that this is a labor and material business. if anybody wants to do this - i'm in.

pamp

Reaction score
Andi, the "orangener" is a CNC ace and master no doubt. This requires a metal fabrication ace...it was some three years ago I talked to John B. The ace metal guy in this group...fabricator and panel beater with nary a peer, when the jigs first came up for sale. Like quite a few of us, a bit long in the tooth and semi-retired, so not wanting or needing a side line.
That said, I believe the jigs need to go to someone established with the space and benders, welders in place...already in the biz. I have in mind a shop in Vancouver.
Myself, I would be more than happy to throw my bucks 500 in the hat just to be insured that the jigs do not disappear into obscurity.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
question to somebody who knows - does coupeking make his exhausts and headers in house, or are they made by somebody for him. Peter, care to comment?

the more pertinent question is - would it be worth his while? its a fair question. the same question is very pertinent to korman ... they are probably the single largest reseller.

bottom line, is it a really viable idea? and the real answer is, a possible maybe.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Who lives near Tijuana ....

One possibility is to have the labor intensive part done over the boarder.
I suspect that's why some of the shops in SD can do E9 seats so cheaply ($1400 for front/rear and armrests).

John

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quality Control

One possibility is to have the labor intensive part done over the boarder.
I suspect that's why some of the shops in SD can do E9 seats so cheaply ($1400 for front/rear and armrests).

John

To pull this off in a "machiladora" there would need to be someone in SD to routinely visit otherwise there could be product deterioration. Also import duties.Tariffs.
There may be another way...