Guitars, Amps, Drums & More

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have this:

and they make this for hands free:

Works great

this to me makes me realize the importance of having itunes in the car with a hookup to my phone. have to do some research on how to put a hands free phone and itunes in my coupe with either the original Blaupunkt or a Becker Europa.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
many thanks Steve ... looks like good kit. with that i can wire up a way to keep the iphone charged with a lighting wire connection ... hopefully without a wire running from the cigarette lighter. any ideas for that?

if anybody has used the handsfree, do you start a call / end a call with the phone?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
yep, good call Dick ... i was just concerned my guitar list was too long. there are a few others i would add, i like guitar. people that hit the cutting room floor that shouldn't were Knopfler, George Harrison, Joe Walsh, Neil Young, Carlos Santana, Derek Trucks, Jorma Kaukonen, Peter Frampton and many more
haven't seen that, but i'm an old school rock guy - have a separate list for jazz

my favorites drummers are Ginger Baker, John Bohnam, Keith Moon and Neil Peart
favorite guitarists (long list) are Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmour, Johnny Winter, Jerry Garcia and Steve Howe
favorite bassists are John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Chris Squire + Jack Bruce
favorite keyboards are Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks and Richard Wright
favorite vocalists are Robert Plant, Peter Gabriel, Grace Slick, Steve Winwood and Roger Daltrey

When I was in college my driving record was so terrible that I got a $2,300 annual car insurance premium quote. So, I sold my beloved Ford Torino and, being a savvy money manager, I immediately put all the money I got from selling my car into stereo equipment.

Later in the evenings, I used to tune in to the low power radio station that the University of Wisconsin used as a tool to help broadcasting students hone their skills. In general, each student had a one hour time slot and a lot of freedom around what they broadcast (until midnight when the school picked up Ron Cuzner’s jazz show). Many students brought in stacks of albums from their collections and did shows on stuff they liked. One guy did an entire show on jazz bass player Ron Carter, across different timeframes and with different groups. This, in turn, encouraged me to think about listening to music in a different way. It is really interesting to set aside the lead guys, and concentrate on some of the folks in the background, somewhat like what Stevehose has been doing with the Wrecking Crew.

Some great finds: Steve Gadd on drums, Stevie Ray Vaughn doing a riff on David Bowie’s Young Americans (his first recording), Joe Sample on piano, Merry Clayton with the Stones (who can forget “Its just a shot away…”), Claudia Lennear first with Ike and Tina as one of the Ikettes, then backing the Stones, Joe Cocker, Elton John… (truth be told she probably hit my radar screen when she posed naked in Playboy magazine), David Sanborn on stage with Bowie, and on and on.

Alas, the industry has killed off so many of the elements that made this stuff fun. Low power radio is illegal now. Radio stations that play an oddball variety of music have disappeared. Bands cannot maximize their unique skills because they have to surrender their creative freedom in order to be promoted. Producers and studios rotate background musicians. Background singers no longer work on harmonies and record together; instead they are recorded separately and digitally mixed. Drummers are often not used, and when they are, much of the individuality of their work is “quanticised” out of existence. Fortunately, I can still find really good live music at small venues nearby, but I rarely buy music by today's musicians.

And Scott -- If you like Ginger Baker and Neil Peart, spare a thought for the great Mitch Mitchell the next time you listen to Jimi Hendrix. He was not the leader/writer/arranger that Baker and Peart were, but is more in the brilliant fill/follower category with Ringo.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the lightning cord I wired in a 12v USB power source, hidden in the shift console with the connector just peeking out of the trim on the driver side tunnel. So my cig lighter stays as is. I had a combo charger/audio plug wired before but it sounded like crap and kept disconnecting so I went back to bluetooth for that

many thanks Steve ... looks like good kit. with that i can wire up a way to keep the iphone charged with a lighting wire connection ... hopefully without a wire running from the cigarette lighter. any ideas for that?

if anybody has used the handsfree, do you start a call / end a call with the phone?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And Scott -- If you like Ginger Baker and Neil Peart, spare a thought for the great Mitch Mitchell the next time you listen to Jimi Hendrix. He was not the leader/writer/arranger that Baker and Peart were, but is more in the brilliant fill/follower category with Ringo.
yes, definitely like Mitch Mitchell and his time with Hendrix. after you bang your memory and try to write down all that you can think of ... in the middle of the night you wake up and remember things you should have added ... then forget to go back and add them when you get out of bed. when i was quickly putting some 'coupe' music down ... right after i posted i thought - there's no zeppelin in there ... no early bowie ... no airplane, no allman bros., etc. what was i thinking. then there are all of those single songs that back in the day you bought an album for - like REO speedwagon - golden country (live), or a whole album piece like Jethro Tull - Living in the Past

Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was snooping around the musical section of Craigslist these last many weeks. Came across a good deal on a Paul Reed Smith guitar. As with many CL transactions, the deal fell through, which was ok. I began educating myself on the make and all the different models. Their US "Core" models are super fine, but way above my "play grade" They have their PRS SE line, made overseas at a much easier price-point. Made with all sorts of exotic veneer tops, but still backed with mahogany and maple. Lots of online reviews give them a decent reputation, so I pulled the trigger today on this Zebrawood model. Hopefully, I'll like the way it feels.

1588887389428.png

Ed

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
World music anyone?...............ahh.......... I'll just go sit in the corner.

I have a early Wilborn acoustic which is like a Martin 00. I am of a small stature and dreadnought sized guitars have me aching after a while. When Don came over for his first visit to Australia he brought with him a new custom Wilborn that I had made for me and slipped it through border control like a professional. This was a big ask from me and I am still very thankful to him. At one stage I succumbed greatly to GAS with 7 guitars around the house. Gave my Martin HD-28 to my son and sold them all except for the two Willies I now have. Check out Ben Wilborn for those who haven't heard of him, he's based in Reno, makes fantastic guitars and is a great player.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tommy is something isn't he? His ability to cross styles is incredible and he will jam with anyone. Self taught and doesn't read music. At times he can get frenetic and rushed for my taste, sometimes a pause says a lot more than 32 notes per second. Then again, if I can get 4 notes out in a second I'm chuffed.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Been watching TE for several years now. His genuine happiness is infectious. I took my Papa to his Christmas show, here in Austin several years ago. Papa and I would watch his YouTube videos. He’s a world heritage treasure, in my opinion.
Always enjoyed this little diddy

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's a guitar I built about 25 years ago. While I made several guitars on commission, my self proclaimed guitar company was really more of a hobby. This grew from working at one of the bigger companies for a number of years. Past lives... They were all made in a spare bedroom of our first house.

Attachments

• 20200508_140914.jpg
    20200508_140914.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200508_140930.jpg
    20200508_140930.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200508_141008.jpg
    20200508_141008.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 102

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alas, the industry has killed off so many of the elements that made this stuff fun. Low power radio is illegal now. Radio stations that play an oddball variety of music have disappeared.

Check out WNCW out of Spindale, NC if you'd like a creative mix...Probably have to tolerate some things on certain days, hours, etc...but pretty special station. Its an alternative NPR station that is 98% music. Almost no news. If you've ever been to the Vintage in Asheville, you probably caught it some. 88.7, I think...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check out WNCW out of Spindale, NC if you'd like a creative mix...Probably have to tolerate some things on certain days, hours, etc...but pretty special station. Its an alternative NPR station that is 98% music. Almost no news. If you've ever been to the Vintage in Asheville, you probably caught it some. 88.7, I think...
Very cool. I'll have to check that out. Here in Milwaukee there is a non-commercial station that is broadcast from the Milwaukee School of Engineering. WMSE 91.7 (also available online). They call it community powered frontier radio. Typically 3 hour segments of a variety of genres. I listen to it most days, and hear things I'd never hear elsewhere. It is not always everyone's cup of tea (as I type this there is some cookie monster death metal playing). But in a few.minutes, a DJ has a show called The Gear Head Show. Content varies, but his in-between songs soundtrack is the revs of cars and recorded announcements from 60's and 70's drag racing.

Another find is WWOZ out of New Orleans. 90.7, available online. It's a non profit community supported station, too.