H&R sport springs w Bilstein HD

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure why, if data is not known, to take anything but the safe route. Spring compress the rears and then you know what you are dealing with going forward. Since they come out as a unit anyway, its not much more effort.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but my belief is when you jack the car up, the longer stroke HDs on the rear will not hold the springs on the perch. Let us know.

Hi there

I have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with the HR Sport springs. I used a ratchet strap to compress the factory spring. The HR Sports assembled without any substantial compression, maybe 1/2-3/4" of compression by the nut and lock nut at the top of the assembly. Glad to see the spring does not shift when the suspension is hanging. I learned the spring collar was installed upside down :rolleyes:. The reinstall was straight forward but those distant pesky 3rd lock nuts inside the trunk are a bother!

(I feel like I should've painted the inside of the backing plate...oh well...its clean and the rotor will cover it when when finished ;) )

Cheers,
Bill

a4kBduZZRUuRqknG2FPumA.jpg

miuBNfasSoypHzWgoljifQ.jpg

1607902672337.png

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
distant pesky 3rd lock nuts inside the trunk are a bother!

There are few tools I appreciate more than a set of flex-head ratcheting combination wrench (metric). On many old cars there is insufficient clearance for these but when they do fit they sure make life easier. My set is from SK and the flex heads lock at multiple angles and they only need a 5 degree arc to ratchet.

For a BMW, IIRC, you only need a subset of sizes (6mm, 8mm, 10, 13, 15, 17)with the smaller sizes more useful (IMHO).

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi bfeng,

Thanks for the method! Do you use the band clamp to compress the springs too?

Regards,
Bill

Sorry for the typo. I’d meant specifically for use w suspension springs. I use a set smaller set than yours, without built in end hooks as some of my springs don’t have space for those hooks.
You already got it