Hard to diagnose running problems - need to fix before Legends of the East!

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey guys, a long time since my last report as my E9 has been a garage queen since October. Don's ace wrench and flying doctor, Chris Pederson, just left a few days ago after getting several things done early this week on my car (most of which were related to my weird and intermittent cutting out characteristics). I can't say enough good things about Don's continued support of my E9 (his first engine install, btw) and Chris' complete knowledge of our cars and how to fix them - he reminds me a lof of a young Chris Macha.

Anyway, first to the movie. I don't think the filming had anything to do with my electronic mishaps, in hindsight, although it was tempting to come to that conclusion as the car was running flawlessly beforehand. I'll ask the producer when I can talk about it but it's a multi-part series coming out this year on Apple TV. That's all I can say for now:)

It's also weird to think that I was so close to selling my car to the lead actor for $200K and buying Chris Macha's car before it went on to BAT.

Chris' repairs included swapping out the block receptacle for both ECU and fuel pump relays above the glove compartment (he thinks one or more spades receivers was shorting or not working right). He then installed a brand new high capacity fuel pump in the tank (my old fuel pump was circa 2011 and spec'd for a 318Ti) that was not securely anchored in the tank and, with movement under acceleration/braking, etc., perhaps some shorting was going on. The new pump is a thing of beauty, higher capacity and quite stout with a welded support rod to keep it from moving. It's a Walbro unit designed for a Mustang GT.

Next, Chris swapped out my original 18 pound starter for a new Bosch SR444x unit that makes super cool sounds at startup and is practically instant on with my Megasquirt. BTW, my Megasquirt box is all new too as of May 2022 - a PNP2 unit replacing the original hand soldered unit from 2011. Chris installed it last year before a dyno tuning session in Maryland that showed 198 hp and 214 lb ft at the wheels - not bad for a largely stock engine.

Finally, I had a new ignition switch for Chris to install (that was also an early hunch about what might be causing my problem) but we couldn't complete that repair as the switch was bad.

After those repairs, the car started right up and we took a 30 minute drive with not a single stalling event! Huzzah! I need a few more longer drives to fell completely secure with situation, but the culprit was likely the relay wiring receptical for the ECU/fuel pump relays.

On my bucket list for quite some time was my lack of heat and AC. Chris then removed my old non-functional heater core, AC evaporator and expansion valves to replace with brand new rebuilt units Don had shipped out. (All other AC things had been replaced before except the evap and expansion valve.) It's amazing how quickly Chris removed everything and installed the new pieces. And along the way he connected the rear defroster (explains why it never worked after my last restoration), fixed some wiring under the dash to help my temp indicator from shorting out on occasion (bouncing needle when cold) and my hazard relay from firing the dash lamp. The heater will be operational by Spring when Chris comes back for Jahan's engine replacement at which point he'll install new heater hoses under dash which he didn't have on this trip (they were sealed off by mechanic last year after discovering coolant was leaking into my cabin). At that time, he will also install a new ignition switch to avoid future problems I'm hearing that other CS owners are experiencing now. Then we will fill up with R134 and have a fully functioning heating and AC system. Both systems should work really well as Chris tells me he also installed a higher performance expansion valve as well as a larger capacity blower fan too provide a lot more air throughput with the fan on.

A huge thanks to Don and Chris for getting my car back in commission. I'll be back at the shows this year starting with Sharkfast in late April, I think! Who's coming?

Wayne

p.s. just attached photo of rebuilt heater core and the attachments - isn't she pretty?

Attachments

• tempImageO5yJWP.png
    tempImageO5yJWP.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow that’s an impressive amount of work! You’ll likely need to restock your wine supply.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great update. Who is the lead actor? Maybe he wants to buy my E9.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great update. Who is the lead actor? Maybe he wants to buy my E9.
I'll be sharing that and the movie in another month or so as the studio has asked for silence until then.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wayne, I plan to go to Sharkfest this year since the Mid America '02Fest has been moved to June.
Great, Andrew, I see another friendly drive down together. Hopefully, Doug Dolan wants to go from nearby Maryland and some of the other east coasters in your neck of the wood, Andrew. We can do dinner at my house the night before our drive out there..

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wayne--The last time we talked at LOTA in November you were concerned about dust getting everywhere in the engine compartment. It sounds like that was not part of the problem. Really glad to hear about your progress report.---Drew

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I too am glad you repaired rather than sold your car. It is very unique and very cool. And I'm liking what I hear about this Chriswrench guy.

As to Sharkfest. I called Kai last week about Sharkfest. He did not yet have a venue. Nonetheless, I plan to be there.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wayne--The last time we talked at LOTA in November you were concerned about dust getting everywhere in the engine compartment. It sounds like that was not part of the problem. Really glad to hear about your progress report.---Drew
Yes, it was granite dust, specifically, and pretty hard to clean up in most places. I had thought that this kind of dust might be more conductive and/or mess with moving parts...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
And while are on the topic of movie stars and cars, who was it that previously owned Wayne's car?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well Chris, that’s an interesting question that you know the answer to. A mechanic that worked on my car prior to me said that Courteney Cox owned my car. I’ve not been able to substantiate that, however…

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well Chris, that’s an interesting question that you know the answer to. A mechanic that worked on my car prior to me said that Courteney Cox owned my car. I’ve not been able to substantiate that, however…
Without firm verification you are 'Dancing in the Dark" with "Friends" who would "Scream" if it was true.

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Thank you this post was a great and informative one. I hope that my Coupe project will be complete and ready by the time of Sharkfest. It would be cool to join you East Coast Coupers and attend Sharkfest this Spring.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Antar, we'd welcome you and your E9 at Sharkfest, one of the best E9 events I've attended. I had to miss last year due to work but prior occasions were super fun. And it's only a 600 mile drive for me and that will be easy now that my car is running again.

This post is like so many others on this board, where our collective input and ideas helps keep our cars running and strong!

Wayne

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Hi Antar, we'd welcome you and your E9 at Sharkfest, one of the best E9 events I've attended. I had to miss last year due to work but prior occasions were super fun. And it's only a 600 mile drive for me and that will be easy now that my car is running again.

This post is like so many others on this board, where our collective input and ideas helps keep our cars running and strong!

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I missed this reply earlier. I hope to join you all!

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ok guys, I think we finally solved the root problem and my latest tragic experiences are chronicled in the other post - Sharkfest Baby... To recap, I had thought my car was back to normal after Chris Pederson from Don Lawrence's shop put in a new fuel pump, relay boss for the ECU and fuel pump and a new starter, along with an attempted ignition switch swap which could not be completed because the replacement switch was not working. Anyway, the car drove well for 30 minutes after Chris' work was done and so I chalked off another problem solved after much back and forth and $ spent. Then, one month later my wife and I took a longer drive up to Maryland to check out some e-bikes for my better half. 40 minute drive up was flawless and then, halfway through the drive back, the demon returned. I made it home as it wasn't that bad and only required a few restarts along the way and 10 second rounds of patience for the electrical and fuel to come back.

I rang up Don and Chris and gave them the recap and our attention returned to the ignition switch, again, the only logical piece that might be causing the issues. But Don wanted me to take another run and data log the Megasquirt findings and send it to him to see if the new ECU from last year was going bad. The 20 minute drive was a disaster, meaning lots of episodes of what felt like fuel cutting out momentarily and then the ignition cutting out entirely and requiring a restart.

I got home and was actually afraid of my car for the first time ever.

Don then gave a new approach to isolate if the ignition switch was bad by connecting the positive lead on the battery to the green wire on the coil with 14 gauge wire. I did that and it was weird to see the car systems turning on even before I turned the ignition key as the coil energies more things than the spark plugs, apparently, and bypasses some of the ignition switch stuff. I drove the car for 30 minutes - flawless. Then, another 30 minute drive a few hours later, and flawless running! So what gave me an hour or more of solid running before things went haywire? Maybe Chris swapping in the new ignition switch and putting back my old one gave it a temporary reprieve.

So Don is express shipping a new ignition switch out this Thursday and I have an appointment with my local mechanic to install Friday. Don is also sending a better made (read safer) battery to coil connecting wire with a fuse and on/off switch in case the problem is my fuse box versus the ignition switch.

So, either way I should be able to get to Sharkfest next week with my motley friends after I make damn sure the car is running well this weekend - several long drives. That means less time cleaning and polishing for competition, but getting back in action will be so great! In the immortal words of Chris Ohmes, may the car gods be with me!