Hardest question ever

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why does hot air smell?

Specifically now that is winter I use the heater in the E9 and E24 and the hot air has a distinct smell that is not there if I keep the heater knob in blue.

No rude answers please.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll keep it clean. What does it smell like? My e9 heater doesn't smell, but the heater core in my Toyota is seeping and smells like maple syrup as the heat evaporates the coolant.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Consider your question as it relates to food. Cold food has less flavor than warm food. The flavor elements are restricted when cold yet flourish when they are warmed similar to your heart.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
May have something to do with the copper heater core and the warm air across those fins.
I have smelled the same and always thought it was dust from 8 months of no use.

Gary

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the dust theory, however I can also smell when something electronic is overheating, could be an output stage power transistor, a resistor, a transformer of course. Each of these smells is different so it must involve evaporation of something.

I can see a TV series plot, The Smeller with Simon Baker leading.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like the dust theory, however I can also smell when something electronic is overheating, could be an output stage power transistor, a resistor, a transformer of course. Each of these smells is different so it must involve evaporation of something.

I can see a TV series plot, The Smeller with Simon Baker leading.

As you would probably post Arde........... Electronic in an E9???????

gwittman

Reaction score

When electronics are overheating you smell something burning or degrading. That is a type of evaporation but is done as the molecules are breaking down. It is usually some kind of plastic material. It can even be coating that is burning or degrading.

61porsche

Reaction score
Smoking

heater motor armature, brushes, wound resister wires caused by oil film from the engine compartment, dirt, etc. that is ventilated back into the cabin from the heater cover, through the sides, openings around the heater hoses, seals internal to the heater box........

A coil cleaning spray is available at most AP stores. Helps with the other microbial issue/ cleaning the coil.

New cars have charcoal filters. Could be fitted behind the console air returns. An air filter could be made from the motor guard.

Besides heater by-pass, I also block that motor guard.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
We should meet up and compare smells. :p

When I did my blower motor I cleaned the hell out of this. So nasty looking in there.

Honolulu

Reaction score
The answer lies in the question. First, you smell the heater in operation because your nose is more sensitive when it's warm. Second, the heat volatilizes whatever has accumulated in the heater, giving you something to smell.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, volatilize is the word here. The smell has gone down with use as some predicted.

BTW Charlie, I will be in Honolulu next week-end in case you need parts from CA, I am traveling light so it would be easy to carry extras.