Has anyone ever..

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
REK, this is awesome!! I am not sure if I can accomplish this but after examining your pictures and reading your note I contacted a company in the states to see if they could help me put together a system that uses struts and the existing attaching points which would allow anyone, including our purist members, to make this modification and return the torsion bar when they go to Pebble Beach, all while preventing their hood from falling on their heads! I hope these folks will work with me!

I am very interested to hear what they come up with. I saw a picture of a 2002 in which someone used struts in the place of where the hinges go. It looked like a really elegant solution, but I can’t find the picture again.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are some pictures - the product is good and from the following suppliers.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/stainless/adjustable/8mm-rod

My only issue is that the dampers themselves are well built out of quality metal, but the posts for fixing are soft metal which bends easily and not the quality of the main product. So - on my list (which seems to get longer not shorter) is for good quality hard 8mm ball posts - 4 in total.

View attachment 58524 View attachment 58525 View attachment 58526

SGS (link from REK) sells the fitting for the ends separately and you could make your own metal bracket for the attachment points.
I would like to have some that aren't so long. I don't like the way they go so far toward the wind shield.

Rek

Reaction score
SGS (link from REK) sells the fitting for the ends separately and you could make your own metal bracket for the attachment points.
I would like to have some that aren't so long. I don't like the way they go so far toward the wind shield.
They make all sorts of sizes - investigate the site.

Rek

Reaction score
REK, this is awesome!! I am not sure if I can accomplish this but after examining your pictures and reading your note I contacted a company in the states to see if they could help me put together a system that uses struts and the existing attaching points which would allow anyone, including our purist members, to make this modification and return the torsion bar when they go to Pebble Beach, all while preventing their hood from falling on their heads! I hope these folks will work with me!

The issue is the pressure settings on the dampers. If they are adjustable then great. If too low then the bonnet doesn't stay up. Too high and it will only stay up. I guess finding the right pressure could come down to guesswork, but I did not have the time.