Headlamp Wiper Retrofit - Grill modification

RohJay

Reaction score
I would very much appreciate input from members who's coupes have Headlamp Wiper systems.

I recently purchased a set of Headlamps with Wiper system on eBay.de.
Now I need to modify the existing Grills to accommodate the wiper shafts.

According to the Workshop Manual, it needs a Trapezoidal opening cut into the the inner-headlamp cowl.
Originally the kit had included the template required for this cut.

http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Library/BMW-E9-Manual/pages/en/61630050.html

As it is highly unlikely this template is still available, i would very much appreciate advice on the exact position and dimensions of this opening.
A diagram or a tracing would be just great.

Thanks.

pmansson

Reaction score
Why??

Why would you want to install this silly 1970s "safety" accessory?
Or do you figure that you need them for active daily driving in dirty conditions...?
Chacun son gout as they say in French.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have set on the car I bought last fall. I'll post some close up shots of them later today. I like the looks of them as well, but doubt I will ever need them or hopefully the windshield wipers I just bought off forum member Craterface.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Why wipers on headlights??

This implies that you would be driving these Karmann rust carriers in the rain. I thought I had suceeded in educating coupesters that driving a Coupe in the rain is certain suicide--

Why not just a pair of "fuzzy balls" instead to hang on your rear view mirror--as no harm no foul just chuckles at your foolishness?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the euro options-
My 745i has heated seats, wisch wash,
Factory fire extinguisher, moon roof,
headlight Aiming etc.

And they all add value to the car.

And no- I don't drive it in the snow
or hail storms or sandstorms

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm with you Roh! I think it's a very cool period option.

And...If anyone has a set, or even just the arms and motors, they are willing to sell, I'm a buyer.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are some shots of the wipers as installed on my Coupe. The car was originally from France, so maybe this was more common over there.
P1010413.jpg

P1010414.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010441.jpg

And For Murray, some new wipers I hope I never need.

P1010444.jpg

RohJay

Reaction score
Perfect!

Thanks Bob S. for these pictures.
Exactly what i need!

OT: Bob, I just went through your Lancaster restoration. Just amazing. You are so lucky to be associated with project of such significance. Sad to read about the museum. Hopefully FM104 will find a new home close to you

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob, would it be too much to ask to measure three or four sides of the trapezoid...?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Bob S. for these pictures.
Exactly what i need!

OT: Bob, I just went through your Lancaster restoration. Just amazing. You are so lucky to be associated with project of such significance. Sad to read about the museum. Hopefully FM104 will find a new home close to you

We are packing the plane up and have no idea where it is going. Lots and lots of Boxes and restored parts getting wrapped in foam. Another couple of weeks and the plane will be gone....

Stefan

Reaction score
It was by law to have the wipers (or high-pressure washing) on the headlights in Sweden from 1974, so some E9 had this arrangement.

The slot in the grille looks a little bit "home made". Do not know if it was done in Osnabrück, or when it enters the country with these rules.

Luis A, I found this one in my spare part box and attached it with dimensions (right grill)

You can also see the upper hole where the washer nozzle was placed.

A little exotic supplementary function, is it not? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0332a.jpg
    IMG_0332a.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 654

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob, would it be too much to ask to measure three or four sides of the trapezoid...?

As best as I could measure, my slot is the following:

Front : 1 12/32"
Bottom: 1 7/32"
Top: 1 12/32"
Back: 2 4/32"

Distance from the top horizontal slat:
P1060832.jpg

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This implies that you would be driving these Karmann rust carriers in the rain. I thought I had suceeded in educating coupesters that driving a Coupe in the rain is certain suicide--

Why not just a pair of "fuzzy balls" instead to hang on your rear view mirror--as no harm no foul just chuckles at your foolishness?

I guess with that line of thinking we could remove our windshield wipers too ;)

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
WS Wipers

Some do here on the left coast Stan--and others of us--simply disconnect the wiper motor--as is unecessary when coupe is not driven in the rain. Also, a generous application of Rainex works well if accidentally caught in a shower while out and about.

Ask your friend Chris about SoCal coupe practices.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Benefit of disconnect--

Luis--It prevents inadvertent "dry running" of wipers on the windshield--and scratching same--when one accidentally bumps the end of the wiper/turn signal switch and activates the wipers.

That had happened to me all too frequently in my 500,000+ miles of Coupe seat time--so a simple solution to prevent repeating same.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking for the nozzles for the wiper system. I have the rest, we'll not the really difficult wiper stalk with the headlight wiper switch?
Just getting info together as I re-assemble my coupe after 3 years.