Hello from Manchester

day66

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to the admins for getting me logged in.

So, I've been tempted to buy an E9 for a few years and finally took the plunge a couple of months back.

There's not much for sale in the UK so i took a punt on a CSI in the Bonhams auction, here it is ...

as delivered 1.JPG
as delivered 2.JPG
as delivered 3.JPG

Currently it's a non-runner, as it's been off the road for around 20 years - first priority is to get it mobile, and I'll take it from there!

David W

day66

Reaction score
Thanks - I'll get the camera out again tomorrow!

I've been picking through the paperwork. I have the early service history and plenty of other documents to confirm the mileage of 85,000 or so. The car was an executors sale, the last, late owner bought in 1977, so it's only had two owners before me.

I've not found anything that looks a major problem yet, probably the nastiest thing is the standard 4 spoke steering wheel, which looks like it should have been fitted to a Volvo!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the group, and congrats on the purchase. Looks like I nice car to get you going. Looking forward to seeing and reading more.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome David. I'm sorry to have missed your introduction.
As I am relatively local I will help in any way I can.

All the best.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
hey David Brexit , that steering wheel is on the wrong side ! :D;)
congrats ! seems nice…. hope for you not to many gremlins in it after 20 years garage.... yes, get it mobile soon !!!

day66

Reaction score
I've been making a number of strategic purchases! The original plan was to recommission and get on the road, but while I have most of the engine bay apart, I think it going to be prudent to go through the whole front end -so that's wings off and a (light) restoration thread! The car is basically sound and very original in many respects so I want to keep as much of that as I can.

day66

Reaction score
Yes, bought as a non-runner. I expect a few weekends would have had it running, but probably not well, so I figured I'd rather go through everything first since it's not looking like it's run for 15 years. The paperwork suggests a recent (in miles!) engine rebuild/replacement, but I plan on removing the head in any case - it would probably benefit from a check over.

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry just seen your post. Am over the border near Halifax so happy to nip over or help if I can.

Good luck,

James

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm also relatively new to the E9 family…I bought my car from @Simufly from just south of Manchester. The car is now in London but visit Manchester regularly (by train now the weather has turned) if you ever want to meet.

day66

Reaction score
Hi James, Stan & Michael.

Funnily enough Simon (simufly) lives just a couple of miles from me and had a look at my CSI - I think that was in February.

I realise I've owned mine for a year now and should get started on it soon, though it is currently gathering dust! I broke all the E9 rules when i bought mine - bought blind at auction (or rather on the basis of the catalogue photos) so had a few sleepness nights waiting for it to arrive. Fortunately it appears to have escaped the worst of the UK weather, though some aspects of the 90s resto could be improved, but it's only had 2 owners and i have plenty of paperwork with it - which is nice.

David

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi David,

Don't sweat it you have it now, I too bought mine via ebay when E9s were still fairly unloved so thankfully I managed to own one of my dream cars - I've managed 3 out of the 5 I wanted so happy that the E9 is the one I've left.

I would still go through it to allay any fears you may have about what lurks beneath whilst you start the standard E9 owners addiction practice of hoarding parts for future work before they become unobtanium/NLA. There's guides on here and plenty of posts that have covered the areas probably have concerns about and failing that everyone is pretty helpful if you post up photos and have questions.

I've not done any major (by my standards) work on it yet in the 10+ years I've had it other than run it whenever I could (work/weather/family/life permitting), there's plenty I want to do and will do, but again its when you have the time to do so - don't beat yourself up. I have an excellent mechanic that looks after our family Subarus who also does historic rally cars and loves my E9, so he does the annual MOT and any other bits whenever I want until the eventual rebuild - it may be worth having someone like that in your corner if you want to enjoy the car whilst you plan any work you want to do.

Be careful when looking at some of the restoration threads on here as they get quite intoxicating and before you know it, the simple tidy up you were going to do can escalate pretty quickly. Just remember whatever you do, enjoy your car - even if its to admire it in passing and congratulate yourself on your excellent taste in cars !

James

Last edited: