Hello, new E9-er from Encinitas CA

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading the E9 BB for about 3 years and just found the right car for me, it's a 1974 3.0 CS automatic, it was an eBay gamble. It has been repainted bronze, originally Polaris. The car is very complete, stock, runs and drives great. It is beautiful and elegant and rusty and I love it. I'm an experienced Fiat, Abarth and Alfa guy but new to BMW. Several thoughts:

Re: Automatic transmission. This was my preference and I see many threads expressing dislike. I prefer the auto tranny because 1) I always seem to end up in a lengthy stop and go traffic situation when I take my weekend fun car out, especially if my wife comes along, and the auto tranny really eases that. 2) To me the 3.0 CS is not a sports car, it's a big heavy elegant GT and the auto tranny suits that character just fine. I wouldn't want one in an E10. 3) I have experienced breakdowns in clutch systems many times over the years but never had an auto tranny let me down. I think there's less to go wrong with the auto tranny.

Re: Rust. Fiats and Abarths and Alfas have always received much criticism for rust, deservedly so. But my goodness the E9 is much worse! And you folks just accept it as part of the car's character and charm. I resolve to adopt that attitude and not let the rust keep me from enjoying the car.

Re: E9 BB. This is a wonderful bulleting board! There is encyclopedic content, both written and images, all available through a really good search function, and more importantly the tone is always positive, welcoming and helpful. Many threads contain advice to "go slow, post pictures, ask questions, we'll help you". Bravo!
LeftFront.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome Eric ... it is a beautiful coupe. we look forward to hearing what you do with it. it will be an addiction, not a nightmare, but most of all it will be fun

it has always been said that Karmann invented rust and then licensed it to the Italians. with your Italian car experience, its kind of like coming home.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just remembered one more thing; I love the bronze color but haven't seen it on a coupe before and I don't see it as a choice in the registry. But there's a 1974 article from Competition Car Int'l Sept 1974 in the Brooklands compilation p. 152 that says "The (RH drive presumably UK market CSI) test-car was finished in bronze, with light cream seats, which looked tremendous".

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i really think its a color that looks great on a coupe. much lighter than siennabraun and looks better than most non-original colors

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i really think its a color that looks great on a coupe. much lighter than siennabraun and looks better than most non-original colors

Suddenly a very popular color-
I’m working on one that looks similar today
1D6F52D2-BF1A-444C-AEE4-CEFC540C7836.jpeg
46B2E1D6-FB00-4E44-89C9-A43D45E1DD3C.jpeg

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh that really does look similar. Tan interior? Wonder what was the original color of that one.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good old fjord I’m told.
Welcome. I just bought a 1976 2002 with automatic and air(Bucks County PA is seeming more and more like Miami) for my wife who has issues with shifting. I find all your reasons for keeping your car automatic to my liking. And fewer and fewer people can drive stick shift anymore, including my 40 year old son-in-law, a police officer(go figure that one).

My mechanic, two tii buddies and a 2002 guy all pronounced my car to be in excellent condition in all respects. If it had been a four speed I doubt they could have said this.

About color. My coupe is Polaris. I see so many coupes on this board that are Polaris, were Polaris or will be Polaris. Is there any coupe out there that has not been Polaris at some time? And love your color. Will the bumpers go? My 02's bumpers will swap out this week.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi CSteve, I saw your new 2002 thread, that’s a really nice car. And I agree that an auto tranny car has often lived an easier life than a manual car. I have no problem with the big bumpers, they’re in excellent condition. I will start with the interior, it’s OK but not up to the condition of the mechanicals and the exterior.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Eric...car really looks period proper, and I agree with others very nice. We just all want to see more of it; pictures of the interior before, etc. Your center grille likes those big bumpers. Kinda like a lady with glasses, and glasses are just fine.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Eric...car really looks period proper, and I agree with others very nice. We just all want to see more of it; pictures of the interior before, etc. Your center grille likes those big bumpers. Kinda like a lady with glasses, and glasses are just fine.
“Period proper” that’s it exactly. Takes me back to 1974 when I had my first job and driver’s license and a clapped out Fiat sedan. Interior needs some wood restoration and there are 3 different shades of tan going on.
089451BE-1089-47A0-9904-E23F1DC4567A.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the different shades of tan can be cured with SEM color coat. or with that bronze color, you could go to black

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had multiple tans in my car as well. My seats were the color you see on the rears in this picture (not a BMW color), but the door cards still have the original tan on them. My armrests were yet another color, and the caps did not match either the armrests or one another (this is not shown in the picture).

I was in the middle of my color change when I took this picture. The front seats have been changed to the new color, as have the armrests and armrest caps. At the time, I had not yet changed the color on the door cards, and I still had the original rear seats.

I posted this because of Steve' s suggestion about contrasting colors. My car came with a black ashtray, and this gives you an idea of what the contrast might look like. I still have the black ashtray in my car.

20170509_121857.jpg

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading the E9 BB for about 3 years and just found the right car for me, it's a 1974 3.0 CS automatic, it was an eBay gamble. It has been repainted bronze, originally Polaris. The car is very complete, stock, runs and drives great. It is beautiful and elegant and rusty and I love it. I'm an experienced Fiat, Abarth and Alfa guy but new to BMW. Several thoughts:

Re: Automatic transmission. This was my preference and I see many threads expressing dislike. I prefer the auto tranny because 1) I always seem to end up in a lengthy stop and go traffic situation when I take my weekend fun car out, especially if my wife comes along, and the auto tranny really eases that. 2) To me the 3.0 CS is not a sports car, it's a big heavy elegant GT and the auto tranny suits that character just fine. I wouldn't want one in an E10. 3) I have experienced breakdowns in clutch systems many times over the years but never had an auto tranny let me down. I think there's less to go wrong with the auto tranny.

Re: Rust. Fiats and Abarths and Alfas have always received much criticism for rust, deservedly so. But my goodness the E9 is much worse! And you folks just accept it as part of the car's character and charm. I resolve to adopt that attitude and not let the rust keep me from enjoying the car.

Re: E9 BB. This is a wonderful bulleting board! There is encyclopedic content, both written and images, all available through a really good search function, and more importantly the tone is always positive, welcoming and helpful. Many threads contain advice to "go slow, post pictures, ask questions, we'll help you". Bravo!
View attachment 85598
Hi Eric, nice car! What size are your wheels? I found a set of those from a 633csi but they are 14" and I think I want 16", so I didn't buy them yet. He is holding them until I decide. Yours look nice with the car, not too big.