Help with side mirror location measurement

saltydawg

Veteran Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
your mirror base is 2mm off the surface, bear in mind, nota great thing
Actually the mounting plate that came with mine had relief of about 0.5mm on the bottom side where the holes are located. I shaved off a little more to clear the heads of the rivnuts which are 0.85mm. The actual mirror base fits over / straddles the mounting plate. When the set screw in the base is tightened against the bevel in the mounting plate, it pulls the mirror base tight and flush to the door panel.

It’s a good point that you make, deQuincey, anyone using rivnuts should ensure the mounting plate has adequate relief for the heads. I should have included this step in my post.
JNL

saltydawg

Veteran Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Where did you purchase the riv-nuts? Its time to install my mirror and Yes the original fasteners do not stay tight.
It’s been a couple of years but I think I got them off eBay. PM me your address and I’ll send you what you need plus enough to practice with. I’ve got a bunch left over. You can buy a special installation tool, but they are expensive. Search YouTube and you’ll find several videos on how to put together a DIY tool with just a long bolt, nuts, and washers.

saltydawg

Veteran Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Whoa, hold on. pickman, I just saw in your earlier post that you have the slotted (London underground logo) holes. I’m not sure the rivnuts will work for you...maybe not enough surface area for the rivnut to grip. Perhaps Keshav’s suggestion in post #6 would be a better solution. If you want, I’ll still send the rivnuts for you to experiment.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
As Bo said above, make sure that wherever they are mounted you can see them clearly. The quarter light pillar obscures the view if they are mounted in a certain position. Worth getting someone to hold it in the proposed place and do a check before getting the drill out.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These are the parts Chris is possibly referring to. for trap style mirrors.

if you install these cage type retainers, insert and rotate 90• to fix to the door sheet metal
Good Day, Would the cage nits you link to here be available in the USA?