Hood pad end of days - new options?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey folks, after washing my E9 for Cars & Coffee tomorrow morning the foam hood pad (installed by Coupe King in 2011) gave up the ghost and flopped entirely over on the torsion bar -- wish I had taken a photo of that and how many jokes we could all make out of flaccid hood pads. I used small amounts of spray adhesive to secure it back in place but it's clearly dead and starting to crumble in the center section as I press it into place for the adhesive to dry.

So time for a new piece. I see older posts on this piece mentioning the Classic9 option (no photos that I could see) and Max2002store has them also for $159. WALLOTHNESCH has the set for about $70 and they are self adhesive, which I like.

Any better options out there for foam and self adhesive?

Thanks all,

Thanks all
IMG_1156.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the classic9, I love it despite not being "stock" but it doesn't trap dirt and water and is easily cleaned. Install is a challenge with adhesive but doable.

IMG_5529.jpeg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is my classic9 installation and some other ideas....

Last edited:

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks, all, well the pad fell down again and I just ripped it off out of frustration and took a plastic putty knive to the underside before even contemplating my plan. What a complete mess I've gotten into and, by the look of things, the original pad and adhesive weren't removed prior to this new pad being installed in 2011. How much of this do I have to take off to present a good mounting surface for the new pad? I just ordered one from Maximillion - original E9 spec. with adhesive. Why do I start these projects before a holiday weekend?! I'm going to get a beer now and calm myself down...
IMG_1158.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the original pad and adhesive weren't removed prior to this new pad being installed in 2011. How much of this do I have to take off to present a good mounting surface for the new pad?
I think you answered your own question ;)

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys, as usual, much more labor involved!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark all the hinges relative to the hood to make re-install easier.

I have actually replaced them "in-situ" on both my E3 and E9 without issue. However, removal of the old liner and glue is way easier with he hood removed..........

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, clearly the most unpleasant and tedious task ever undertaken by my hands on this Coupe. There were at least two different layers of adhesive and stringy type stuff underneath. I almost like it better this way but there are scratches underneath the hood from previous times (I only used plastic scraping tools). Now to open my new pads and I'm certain the center big pad will be a different color than my existing side pads which means another unpleasant weekend! I hope Bluebelle appreciates this! By the way, the 3M Adhesive Remover is impressive stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 33

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are interested in reducing the noise from the engine bay, you can apply a layer of Dynamat first before putting the new foam pad. Makes a big difference on such a large nearly flat expanse of sheet metal. Just wipe the graphics off with acetone before applying the foam pad. Ends up looking completely stock but with much better sound insulation

IMG_2191.jpeg IMG_2207.jpeg IMG_2209.jpeg

(First pic is the trunk bc I couldn't find a pic of the hood Dynamat before wiping off the graphics )

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
out of curiosity how well do the torsion bars hold the hood / trunk up with the weight of the Dynamat? especially if there is some wind around ... or is that why you have a prop rod instead of hood torsion bars

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was a bit concerned about that. But they hold up just fine. When the hood is up it is almost vertical so the added weight doesn't make much difference. I haven't tested them in gale force wind yet.
At the time of these photos I had not reinstalled the hood hinge mechanism yet. I have done that since and it works just fine.
You can feel it a lot more on the trunk lid torsion bars however. The hinges still hold up fine but you can tell they have to work harder. I'm sure they would need some help in windy conditions

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was a bit concerned about that. But they hold up just fine. When the hood is up it is almost vertical so the added weight doesn't make much difference. I haven't tested them in gale force wind yet.
At the time of these photos I had not reinstalled the hood hinge mechanism yet. I have done that since and it works just fine.
You can feel it a lot more on the trunk lid torsion bars however. The hinges still hold up fine but you can tell they have to work harder. I'm sure they would need some help in windy conditions
Yes, wind is a consideration as well as, if you are parked on any angle at all. Seems to me, there are more windy days now. :(

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a set of foam hood pads a few years ago, don’t know who made them. I stored them in my basement, and when I recently decided to install them, I found they had pretty much disintegrated. Say what you will about New Jersey air pollution, but I live in a very rural area…

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a set of foam hood pads a few years ago, don’t know who made them. I stored them in my basement, and when I recently decided to install them, I found they had pretty much disintegrated. Say what you will about New Jersey air pollution, but I live in a very rural area…
Mice.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m buying the pads from another source.

Gave up on Classic 9- don’t return phone calls

Gave up on W&N- open cell

Now using -

partworks GmbH
Otto-Stadler-Str 9c
33100 Paderborn
Germany

Tel.: 052511846100
E-Mail: [email protected]