Hood Pad / Liner / Insulation - Walloth vs Classic 9 vs ?

offpage

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My tundra coupe doesn't have a hood liner, and I was advised to put one in to protect the paint on the hood from engine heat. I like the paint on the car, so I'm planning to do it some time soon.

I've seen the Walloth one: https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/17466/?___store=en
And the Classic 9 one: https://www.classic9leathershop.com/bmw-e9-hood-liner-heat-shield

Anyone by chance have experience with both and can provide any insight as to which may be better or easier to install? Or can vouch for either?
Or if there are others I should consider?

Thanks in advance
Sam

I got mine as OEM part from BMW Classic couple of years ago. Nice lightweight grey foam material and comes with adhesive backing. Just peal off the backing paper and stick. Easy to align and perfect fit. Comes in 3 sections.

Looks just like the W&N photo in your link so probably the same part. So you should go with that one imo.

Mine is still looking like brand new and still stuck well up to now.

i bought the Classic 9 piece. i had trouble with older BMW products disintegrating over time, so i wanted to try something that looked quite similar. looks pretty close to original, as long as you do NOT get the BMW logo on it.

Classic 9 for the E3 and E9. You can make more or less out of installation. Looks new after 12 years in the Bav. I actually like the BMW logo, white, unassuming. I think they are about 100 bucks.

I have the Classic 9 and it will outlast the original style which gets oily and dirty over time then falls apart. This one you can wipe down.

I have the Classic 9 and it will outlast the original style which gets oily and dirty over time then falls apart. This one you can wipe down.
I have the original style, and Steve's comment hits one of the things I don't like about it. They are difficult to clean if you get oil on them. I'm actually thinking about making a change for this reason.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. As others pointed out, there's no photo on the Classic 9 site. I found one on from a previous post on the forum, but it has the BMW logo on it - which I would not want. @rsporsche, do you have a photo of your Classic 9 hood liner? And do you mind if I ask how long you've had it and if it has held up well?

Maybe its just that I am, ahem, frugal, but I if I had a source for the stuff, I think I could carefully cut my own out for a little less than $90. Anyone have a source off hand? I started looking a while back but got lazy. Yes, I'm frugal and lazy. Thanks.

The Classic 9 does not come with the logo, you have to ask for it and apply it after you install the liner so the logo is not an issue.

Dave, mine cost about 100 bucks.

Been 4 years...........................Bavaria been 12, they look identical, ie Bav looks new too!

1661037540800.png

The Classic 9 does not come with the logo, you have to ask for it and apply it after you install the liner so the logo is not an issue.

Dave, mine cost about 100 bucks.

Been 4 years...........................Bavaria been 12, they look identical, ie Bav looks new too!

View attachment 146754

Great info,

maybe a lighter picture to appreciate the material would be very nice

Maybe its just that I am, ahem, frugal, but I if I had a source for the stuff, I think I could carefully cut my own out for a little less than $90. Anyone have a source off hand? I started looking a while back but got lazy. Yes, I'm frugal and lazy. Thanks.
It's just closed cell foam. I have a NOS set that was going to go on my car . I saw the set from Classic 9 and figured I'd go that way. The NOS set doesn't compare to the Classic 9

Another option to consider is heat resistant sound deadening material, like a Dynamat. Obviously, you would be straying pretty far from the factory look, but you would get better heat and sound insulation, and oil wipes right off.

I would think you want something in between, ie not to retain all the heat in the engine bay to make its way to the firewall etc. Some heat transfer through the hood is probably needed. Perhaps that is why the insulation is in 3 parts and not complete.

I would think you want something in between, ie not to retain all the heat in the engine bay to make its way to the firewall etc. Some heat transfer through the hood is probably needed. Perhaps that is why the insulation is in 3 parts and not complete.

original material is open cell,
by bet is that it looks for sound deadening, not for heat insulation
but maybe i am wrong
regards

Thanks again for all of the perspectives, I'm leaning towards the Classic 9 for longevity and easy of maintenance. May take a bit, but I'll post a photo when it's done.

Another option to consider is heat resistant sound deadening material, like a Dynamat. Obviously, you would be straying pretty far from the factory look, but you would get better heat and sound insulation, and oil wipes right off.
I have a hard time imagining that the stock foam will do much for sound. It may break some of the high frequency bouncing but those are not generally an issue under the hood, apart from maybe squeaky belts. I've been planning on doing this Dynamat idea and then putting the WN foam on top of it. This way you get the stock look with an appreciable reduction in low frequency resonance from the large flat areas of the hood. But this will obviously add some weight so you need to be mindful of that when thinking about hood props or whatever you use to keep it open.

Back