Hood Pad / Liner / Insulation - Walloth vs Classic 9 vs ?

For the frugal folks in the house: B -quiet.

It can be purchased in 25 foot rolls and used elsewhere in your build.

They have it in the texture as shown in the photo, as well as in flat panels.

RP

To close the loop on this, I ended up going with Classic 9 hood liner, in the 1/2 inch option with no decal.
It was easy to install with 3M hi-strength 90 spray adhesive, with a tiny bit of maneuvering around the torsion bar. The cut pieces fit well, with no overlapping over the sheet metal. I installed them on New Years day and I haven't had any issues. Overall I am happy with it, but acknowledge it is a bit pricey for what it is. More photos than anyone asked for below...

Liner 0.JPG

Liner 1.JPG

Liner 2.JPG

Liner 3.JPG

Liner 4.JPG

Liner 5.JPG

Pricey yes but much more durable than the original foam which absorbs moisture and dirt, hard to clean, and disintegrates pretty quickly

I bought a new foam pad for my E12 from the dealer and it was already disintegrating in the bag. Still have it but I bought another. I used the Classic 9 stuff on two E28s and an E24. 1/2” option. He included the BMW logos but not attached to the foam. I was disappointed it’s not peel and stick like the factory stuff as it’s a Royal PITA to mask everything when you spray the contact adhesive on the hood. You also have to mask the sides of the foam in my experience.

I did zero masking. The 3M says to spray both the hood and the liner but I just sprayed the liner. I think the double spray is overkill here, maybe not in other applications but here yes.

I like the clean surface look of the Classic 9 but to Chris's point, my e24's have original lining and they are fine but I keep my cars garaged so they are not exposed to extreme weather.

Heat is the enemy of the spray glue although 90 is the strongest. They recommend spraying both surfaces, wait ten minutes, apply another light coat then bond.

I used 8090 which is the professional "high-temp" stuff. Not cheap at over $30 a can. Still had some adhesion issues. The 1/4" probably would have less issues due to half the weight, but the 1/2" looks more correct.

Yes, install with the spray adhesive can be stressful. Basically I glued the main piece on in sections - above and below the torsion bar, this helps with alignment and mess.

I'll add I needed a second set of hands to stick on the larger center piece at the widest part.
And @wkohler, I've wondered if I did this a second time if I would go for 1/4 inch. It's a bit easier to work with, and would probably work just as well for most's needs. And if cost is a factor, it's a bit more affordable. But I do like the look of the 1/2 inch - though I acknowledge how infrequent I get to admire it!

Just installed my new Classic 9 insulation. I used 3M 90 adhesive, masked the hood and sprayed both surfaces. Definitely could have used another pair of hands and am now having a celebratory scotch to relieve the stressful moments of working around the torsion bar that Steve mentioned.
E4E90504-4F4A-4837-8273-F45627C91E1B.jpeg

Just installed my new Classic 9 insulation. I used 3M 90 adhesive, masked the hood and sprayed both surfaces. Definitely could have used another pair of hands and am now having a celebratory scotch to relieve the stressful moments of working around the torsion bar that Steve mentioned.View attachment 174839
I just got another one of these and will be doing same in the near future. Looks great.

i think i will put my classic 9 insulation on after the hood is painted - before the torsion bar is installed

Just installed my new Classic 9 insulation. I used 3M 90 adhesive, masked the hood and sprayed both surfaces. Definitely could have used another pair of hands and am now having a celebratory scotch to relieve the stressful moments of working around the torsion bar that Steve mentioned.View attachment 174839

It looks great and fits perfect.
Did you get the 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch thickness?

It looks great and fits perfect.
Did you get the 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch thickness?
I went with the 1/2”. A bit pricey for a piece of foam as others have noted but looks correct and should hold up much better than the original open cell. Mine was about 6 years old, dried out and falling apart and dirty from being sprayed with power steering fluid from a leak in the high pressure hose.

I emailed Roderick a week ago to order 5 sets for me and more sets for Erik at CK.
No response.

They must be very busy….

Yes, I called him to order mine because I wasn’t getting a final confirmation email. He said that they have recently received a lot of orders for E9 liners.

I emailed Roderick a week ago to order 5 sets for me and more sets for Erik at CK.
No response.

They must be very busy….
I had to email for my payment info (none taken on the website, only a PO) and he replied so perhaps he missed you (hefty) order...

Back