Hood shocks instead of the factory torsion bar.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i need to find the one that Korman did ... it was recessed behind the grilles (in front of the AC condenser) . can't remember if there was one or two shocks. looked really cool and concealed.

Rek

Reaction score
Eating lunch and did some searching.
The shock idea I was looking for was this from an E34 M5. Not sure if it would work on an E9 but that picture I posted when I started this thread is an E9. I don't know where I found it?
I know an E34 hood is a lot bigger than an E9 but will have to study the mechanical advantage here?
Just found an E24 where strut goes straight up.
Ideas?

View attachment 58588

I would be interested in how you get on with this. I still have the torsion bar parts and would run with this solution if it works. That little damper would have to have quite some force. The E34 bonnet moves forward and hangs virtually perpendicular to the car over the front. A very elegant mechanism. The weight is mainly on the hinges. With our cars, the weight is much higher on the supports hence why I went for the beefier shock over the stock mechanism.

Rek

Reaction score
i need to find the one that Korman did ... it was recessed behind the grilles (in front of the AC condenser) . can't remember if there was one or two shocks. looked really cool and concealed.

I tried to find this as its the most elegant solution. Please send me the post if you find it.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would be interested in how you get on with this. I still have the torsion bar parts and would run with this solution if it works. That little damper would have to have quite some force. The E34 bonnet moves forward and hangs virtually perpendicular to the car over the front. A very elegant mechanism. The weight is mainly on the hinges. With our cars, the weight is much higher on the supports hence why I went for the beefier shock over the stock mechanism.
Rek,
It will be a while as I don't even have the engine back in the car yet.
I will post whatever I can figure out will work. I am NOT putting the original mechanism back on. Those things are dangerous.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
It should be noted for the E34 implementation, it's a double-jointed lift. Most of the weight is being handled by the central hinge bar. The shocks on that car mostly push the hood from the fully closed position to the 'openable' position on the main hinge. There's so much leverage with the E34 hood that the shocks, even when new, don't push back much when returning the hood to the 'openable' position when it is down but not latched. On the plus side, it makes opening and closing the hood feel really good, because most of the area you interact with bolts to the main hinge, making it feel really solid. The upper parts of the hood (up by the firewall) are on the little roller wheels, which are the main latch points on the E9. I would be concerned about being able to open the hood easily if you put the hinges in tension, as that is a significant failure point on the E34s, the hood release cable snaps because you have to give it enough force to overcome those shocks pressing back against the cable at the latch through the hood. Makes the car emit a bit of a bang when you pop the hood. Given our hood latches are directly tied to that tiny lever and bolt in the driver knee area, it would take some adjustments to make sure the additional tension didn't put too much stress on that mechanism.