How many bought the $40 rubber bushing to fit your rear Bilsteins?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many a thread on needing the bushing versus using what Bilstein gives you. Interestingly, the bushings came with my Bilsteins for my E3 (and apparently the 2002 also). I want a show of hands who bought that 40 dollar BMW bushing. I want some ammo when I call Bilstein and let them know their shocks are not a direct bolt on for an E9.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Side info; do not consider the rubber part from walloth and Neesch. I purchased them 2 years ago and they have split in 5 bits just by being installed. I did not drive a single km (nor mile) with it.
Go oem if you can get them. They're difficult to replace if needed i can tell you.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G800F met Tapatalk

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
so, what part number are we talking here ?

I think the current part# is: 33523450101

Number 11 in this picture:
IMG_9958.jpg

I'm also using BMWs original bushing as the Bilsteins rubbers wont fit correctly.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
I think the current part# is: 33523450101

Number 11 in this picture:
View attachment 28344

I'm also using BMWs original bushing as the Bilsteins rubbers wont fit correctly.

Thanks Robert, that's what I thought ; the thing I'm curious about is "rubbers wont fit correctly " and Don's "mandatory" comment . I had new Bilsteins fitted ( by mechanic ) and was not alerted to any "issues " . Is there something specific I/we should be aware of ? .Thanks again, Simon

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Point is that no add purchase is needed for Bilstein shocks for most other "mobile tradition" cars. Basically the price of a rear B6 is 40% higher for the E9 because the shock does not include the proper bushing.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My hatred for these is strong. Many parts sites say 335211118 does not fit E9, is NLA, and/or has been replaced with 33523450101, which some also say doesn’t fit E9, only 2002.

After reviewing the threads & dismissing any difference, I ordered from FCP Euro. Car’s on stands in garage blocking wife, so I pay for quick shipping before she gets back in town. Today, 2 weeks later & FCP failure to respond for days then unable to figure it out when they do, the little rubber devils appear - one 118 & one 101. Look identical in shape & dimension, but 101 has BMW markings & 118 has no markings at all and feels noticeably softer. So, 2 weeks later & half a palm full of $100 rubber, I’m now questioning what I’ve got.

FCP was apologetic & refunded shipping. Problem seemed to be on direct-ship from BMW source in PA. But a hair-pulling experience. I’ll order these before shocks if I have to do this again.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I put tapered end facing up from inside the shock tower, washer against the bottom of the metal, shock top fits perfectly against the wide rubber end, the taper gets flattened with a top washer and nut snugged down on it after install.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Super helpful Chris, Chris & Steve, as usual. I'll get back on the road with what I've got, and replace with the E12s when I do larger project on front and rear suspension in coming months. Saw colorful versions of E12 bush on european sites listing E9 compatibility, but I didn't have another search in me.

Edit per Erik's ref below to include link to Bushing position thread and containing link to Dequincey's suspension thread
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/which-way-does-the-rear-shock-bushing-go.18303/

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can find similar metal bushings at Ace. Large side of rubber bushing is underneath with the washer sitting on it pushed upwards and insert metal bushing.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So does yours look like the above pictures with the stock metal bushing? Does that mean that the e12 had a larger metal bushing?