How many bought the $40 rubber bushing to fit your rear Bilsteins?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So does yours look like the above pictures with the stock metal bushing? Does that mean that the e12 had a larger metal bushing?

these were bought long time ago at bmw, shape seems different, they fit tight

1654921247096.jpeg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dequincey wrote a comment on these tapered rubbers. I recall that he was convinced the drawings in the bluebooks have them drawn upside down.
Erik.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

#68, 69, and 70

my assumption was wrong, blue books are ok, my pictures are wrong, I had to change position again,

so top goes the larger wider side

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted before after talking with Bilstein that the bushing that comes with the B6 for our cars is not correct and they should swap to the one for the 2002's (which are not sold separately). They sent me 2 bushings from a kit used for a Dodge, part number E4B46276 that were a perfect match, inner steel sleeve is 3mm shorter though, so use the old ones (28mm). I installed with no issue. Summit racing has them for $1.99 each but out of stock now. I ordered a few, will post pictures etc when and if they arrive.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At Carl Nelson’s direction I installed fatter side underneath. I believe the most force is exerted from compression and not extension when you hit a bump. That is why a large washer underneath helps spread the load. When you tighten down the nut the rubber squishes into a pancake anyway. The fatter rubbers came from BMW.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
it is curious to know the operation of the suspension, many times the concepts confuse us

there are two components, the spring force, and the damping

in the case of the e9 these two components are separated and act on different parts of the system, the spring on the subframe and the bodywork, and the shock absorber on the top of the wheel arch

the spring limits the displacement travel, while the damper reduces rebound cycles

when the spring is compressed, the shock absorber is also compressed, so that the effort is shared between the two parts of the body

however, when the spring rebounds, the shock absorber brutally pulls the rod that joins the wheel arch turret and in this effort it is alone

hans and fritz were good christians, the drawings represent the wide part on top, and no washer, if you can use the original rubber bands, and i have, it installs like this and it works

maybe if you are forced to use other rubbers you have to invent alternative solutions

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
it is curious to know the operation of the suspension, many times the concepts confuse us

there are two components, the spring force, and the damping

in the case of the e9 these two components are separated and act on different parts of the system, the spring on the subframe and the bodywork, and the shock absorber on the top of the wheel arch

the spring limits the displacement travel, while the damper reduces rebound cycles

when the spring is compressed, the shock absorber is also compressed, so that the effort is shared between the two parts of the body

however, when the spring rebounds, the shock absorber brutally pulls the rod that joins the wheel arch turret and in this effort it is alone

hans and fritz were good christians, the drawings represent the wide part on top, and no washer, if you can use the original rubber bands, and i have, it installs like this and it works

maybe if you are forced to use other rubbers you have to invent alternative solutions

adding to this I will be using a drawing from a forum member,

I do not remember who was the author, but it explains perfectly

again no mid washer, leave things like they are,

1655311972943.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well as promised, I purchased Bilstein bushings for the rear shocks from Summit Racing. I was told by Bilstein that the bushings from another shock which were available for individual purchase, were identical to the ones we use in the E9. I have enclosed images with measurements since I do not have an OEM bushing to directly compare to and I will bet, somebody here does. These were $1.99 each>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NB: I Used the HB Chris background for effect.....................Quarter sawed Oak. I thought Mahogany but naaa, why ruin a good thing.
IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040(1).jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 71

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The number is stated earlier in this post. I would wait for confirmation that they are the correct size (although Bilstein sent me these free 5 years ago and I used them without issue).

RICHSHOPBMW

Reaction score
Hi all. I re-read the entire thread and I see that there is a confusion about how to install that rubber-metal hinge and which direction. I hope my photos from the blue book of BMW E12 520 and 1973 will be useful to someone.

Attachments

• IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 29