How many e9s still registered?

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
3.0 CSs in Utah

there may be more but i know of 3...one of which has been modified to be used by a paraplegic friend of mine. He and his dad engineered and built it in the years after a motorcycle accident. the gas, clutch, brake and transmission are all controlled by the modified gear shift.. it's awesome to see him out driving it during the summer. i'll try and post pics, i imagine it's the only one.
ccr

gatorgum

Reaction score
Hmm, I actually count about 15 or so in the Calgary (area) in various conditions. I, myself, just bought my third this week (it's a rough runner) and discovered a long lost CSi beauty while doing so. Also, a beautiful 2800 CS was recently brought here from out east but I don't know if there will be any more discoveries. My eyes and ears are still open though...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well of course there is my coupe but there are also 1 I know of in Maine, one in Portsmouth NH, and 4 (counting the parts car) at Vintage Sports & Racing in Bow NH, in the process of extreme restoration.
Now if I could only win the PowerBall...... :D

pmansson

Reaction score
How many E9s remain.....?

I share my time between Sweden and Switzerland and have 6 cars of which 4 are registered and in good running order. The last 2 will be back on the road within a year. I estimate that there are at least 40 cars in Sweden of which 20 are in running order. I am less sure about the situation in Switzerland. I guesstimate that there are perhaps 30 cars of which 15 are in decent running order. The problem with these lovely cars is that they cost a fortune to restore but won´t be worth the money spent afterwards. With a Ferrari or certain Jaguars the equation is very different. Therefore there are lots of unrestored cars for sale in Sweden and Switzerland for around USD 15,000. Few of these will ever be restored properly unless the market price for well restored cars increases significantly. Having driven one of my CSi cars quite a bit (2,500 miles)this summer, I can only join the connoisseurs amongst ourselves in that the E9 is not only stunningly beautiful but a very good driver in modern traffic providing it is in perfect running order mechanically.
Lastly, we need some input from the German scene where there should be at least 75 cars left in decent to perfect condition. They have a forum of their own, in German, which I occasionally read.

mandala

Reaction score
at lest 7 in portland

I know of at least 7 here in portland oregon and one that is for sale in bend. I would update the total to reflect this.
Jeff in pdx

DJSimca

Reaction score
Re: How many E9s remain.....?

pmansson said:
Lastly, we need some input from the German scene where there should be at least 75 cars left in decent to perfect condition. They have a forum of their own, in German, which I occasionally read.

Well there is at least 241 cars in Germany because that is what the 2006 listing of cars in the German Coupe Club shows http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/coupe.htm

In addition to these there are probably a number of cars that are not members of the Coupe Club.

In Denmark I believe there is between 5 and 10 coupes including my CSL

DJSimca

Reaction score
Re: How many E9s remain.....?

Just realised that above link doesn't take you to the correct page.
From the main page http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/ click on the German flag and then select 'Mitgliederzahlen' in the left column. Then select '2006' and scroll down

coupe74

Reaction score
At least 7 or 8 running here in the Sonoma Wine country. I think only 2 of them watch this forum. Answered an ad for one that turned out to be within a half mile and we were both unaware of the other for years, and there can't be more than 10 homes in between us! Found one in the local parts yard that I didn't know about before it went in; so I'll bet there are more lurking in garages that I don't know about.

bela22

Reaction score
I just visited 2 different coupe owner/collector in Germany.Both of them stated,that there are at least 1.000 coupes all around in Germany.(!!!)

what's more,one of them siad-with the experience of owning more then 30 E9 in the past 20 or so years-that he thinks that this number should be between 1.000-1.500 ,and he also can get data from the local authority.
(last time he checked it was 2006)

It's pretty difficult for me to belive ,but on the other hand you can expect this number from a country where these beauties were produced.

He also said that there are more then 100 CSL left in Germany . . .

pmansson

Reaction score
E9s in Germany

Whether we guesstimate 250, 500 or 1,000, I still maintain that the majority will never come back to roadworthy condition as long as the price/value of well restored cars remain relatively low. Most of us know what it costs to restore these cars, and that prevents owners of German "wrecks" to commence the work, as the final value will be far less than the amount spent on restoration. Body and interior work is far more complicated and expensive than on a Ferrari (even though the engine of the latter is much more expensive to do), but on the Ferrari it is worth doing, financially.
I drive through Germany several times a year, and I never see a Coupé. In Switzerland I have looked closely at a dozen cars for sale in the last year or two, and all of them are part rusty and IMHO complete restoration projects.

Malc

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but this thread is in regard to how many coupes are registered, not what they are worth. I suspect those that are registered are in the hands of folk like me who have one because they like the car, intend to keep it and enjoy it.
I am not restoring mine because I think I am going to make money by selling it once I have finished.
Except for a few specific makes and models it is virtually impossible to make a profit from restoring a car on spec. There were several companies in the UK that tried it in the boom years of the 1980's most have gone bust and disappeared...
I know some people who restore cars today, they do it to order on customers cars. In discussions with them the only car they will consider doing on spec right now, is MGB's because there is the demand for them at the moment.
Malc

TimP

Reaction score
In Seattle I've seen 3 or 4 in blue, 2 Sahara, one white, one green, maybe a silver one. There is the malaga CS that was or is for sale in the classifieds and I saw a 2000CS race car at the vintage races this year. I've heard of a few more out there and seen at least 6 for sale on craigslist over the last few years. I'm sure there is at least a dozen and likely more like twenty to thirty here. Oh and mine which was and will be Taiga.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I believe we are up 8 in the Calgary area. I doubt any started their life here (13 months of winter and salt a year) and most are probably kidnap victims from SoCal but your loss is our gain so don't expect to ever get them back.

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Los Angeles Speaking up

Speaking as one who only recently moved south to Blumax's realm of the Orange County, I can insist that California is being woefully misrepresented in this thread. My wife insists that I have radar for E9's and in living in the LA area for 14 years, I would put an estimate of around 60-80 cars in LA county. Orange county looks to have plenty as well. Speaking for the cities touching the Pacific I would guesstimate 20-30. And who knows how many inland in Orange County or even San Diego. There are a lot in storage up in LA as Mehrdad can attest.

And San Fran! Man, the number of coupes I have seen sticking out of garages and street parked. Perfect city for them. I think I have never seen so many 2002's in one place.

I tend to either talk to the owners when I can or I leave a note on the windshield suggesting they go to this website.

My parents live near Burlington, Vermont, and I know of 3 up there. One was the CSL race car for sale in the classified boards about 3 months ago.

I think there are more in the States then this thread is showing, and definitely a lot out here in California.

my two cents......

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
CSL's here in the UK.......

i no of over 150 CSL's, here in the UK, some used in the summer, some stored away, for long term investment. afew in garages, stripped and part stripped for restoration, the owners have not started on. and they won't sell their cars, so someone else can restore the cars and put them back on the road, where they belong. just some info from me.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
mark said:
150 rhd csls? is that a typo or really 150?

Hi Mark, i have kept info on most of the csl's, here in the UK, i have come across ie at bmw shows, cars parked up in towns and cities, where i have left my mobile no, and the owners have contacted me, reg no's, colour, chassis no, contact phone no's of owners. i phone these people acouple of times a year regarding if they still own there csl, general chit chat etc. you will be amazed how many rhd CSL's are still out there. i think just under 200 wolrdwide.