How to fit new tension strut bushes

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am wondering if anyone has come up with an easy method of fitting theses bushes.
I tried today with a few large washers and some threaded bar
The plan was to tighten the nuts on the threaded bar so that the bush would be forced into the subframe
My problem is that it just kept on mushrooming and I couldn’t get the first lip to go into the subframe.

Attachments

• F05E5E00-0605-48D7-AC61-25AE7757B60B.jpeg
    F05E5E00-0605-48D7-AC61-25AE7757B60B.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 71

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
If these are the Walloth and Nesch bushings you're using, just throw them away they're junk.

1/2" threaded rod, some washers (grease the rod, and the washers) and use pieces from this kit:
1677714330452.png

This is a current coupon as of this post so use it as it is good deal. I have the older US General set that is anodized in various colors. I believe this set is i...dentical to others sold on the Amazons.

One of them fits pretty well on the inside of the subframe. Larger one goes over the front of the bushing. It will likely not go straight in, lots of grease and it will just pop in. The W&N bushings I think are the old Uro ones which are complete crap. Factory bushing set popped right in. Removal can be done easily using the tension strut from the front. Work it around and it will pop out.

Barry.b

Reaction score
The ones I have are from W&N
So I might have to take another look at it .
I saw some nice split ones online this morning made from polyurethane.
But I am not sure if I want to go there.
I’ll try a bit more lube maybe and see how that goes.

Attachments

• 416562E5-DF8E-45DD-B8C7-4311A6DA3CEF.jpeg
    416562E5-DF8E-45DD-B8C7-4311A6DA3CEF.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 77

Barry.b

Reaction score
Okay
So I just purchased a set of the split polyurethane ones from Jaymic
I won’t spend any more time wrestling with the W&N ones.
Hopefully the Jaymic ones should be a dream in comparison.
Thanks again guys for all the advice !!!

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bushings were one of the first projects I tried after buying the project almost 4 years ago and ended up buying polyurethane split bushings. I do intend to eventually go back and try again to insert the ones I bought from RMEuropean in 2019. I need to wait until I am in the right mood.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So good to hear that I'm not the only one who struggled with the W&N bushings. I did two cars with them. Tore one bushing on the first car. Still haven't replaced it (car is not on the road yet). Got both into the second car but it was not easy. Other than those split versions, what is the alternative source?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've always understood that rubber bushings are part of the 'yield' in the suspension, and rely on the flex nature of the rubber to do the job. As such, they should be installed as 'Dry' as possible. A lot of lubricant will allow the rubber bushing to rotate in the carrier, rather than have the rubber flex.

I replaced these in the '74 I had, and used as little water with slight detergent additive that I could possibly get by with. It's been 5-6 years since I did this, and my antique and poorly designed brain no longer recalls the exact procedure. BUT, I know I purchased some specific tools for the job - and it still wasn't easy.

Gary

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a Harbor Freight coupon above if you don't recognize the typography.
Here's the page: https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-10-piece-63261.html
The coupon expires today, March 9th, BTW.

One trick I learned for wrestling with installing rubber is to use generous amounts of IPA, Isopropyl alcohol. It makes the rubber slippery but then it evaporates. Sure, it can dry out the rubber surface if the exposure time is long or repeated many times, but for a short exposure, it's not an issue.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apart from using the washers and a threaded bar, try finding a section of a tube with an ID matching the uncompressed rubber OD (so that the rubber bush fits just inside the tube). When that is lined up with the hole, and the threaded bar is tensioned to pull the rubber in, the rubber bush can expand a bit, but no more then the dimension of the ID of the tube. The rubber then only needs to move inwards, and has no way to "mushroom out"

In this specific case, it may be tricky as the rubber has a larger diameter end section. You may need to split the tube axially in two half shells, keeping them together with hose clamps untill the rubber is starting to get seated, and then open the hose clamps to push/pull it in all the way.

If the rubber can't go to the side, it has no other way then to go in... (or tear)

Last edited:

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I purchased from W&N, but have not tried to install yet, is there a good, non W&N source? Common online sources (Pelican, AutohausAZ, FCP) dont seem to offer and Ireland is out of stock for their solution.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
This job is a PIA and I trashed the ones from W&N and used those from the dealer. That said, had I known there was a set from Powerflex, I would have gone that route. I used Powerflex for my subframe bushings in my E24 and very happy with them. Some copper grease and no squeak, easy to install and remove if ever. Noticed no additional harshness.

Believe I used washers and a threaded bar but added a 35mm socket on top of the washer

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
W&N sells 2 types - a hard version and another. Are they both a no go? I'm trying to fill my shopping cart with stuff to lower the shipping cost and these are something I can use eventually.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 2.46.57 PM.png

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The BMW Motorsport one is the E12 M535i bushing. They’re now NLA. You can’t add to the cart. The other is not genuine BMW, but an aftermarket part. I know Uro made these as well but haven’t seen their bushing to compare to the junk I got from Walloth. They’re super hard, have almost no give while the genuine bushing is quite flexible at least on the surface. I’ve installed both types of factory bushings in both my E12 M535i, my old 530i and now the coupe without issue. The W&N attempts were unsuccessful.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The BMW Motorsport one is the E12 M535i bushing. They’re now NLA. You can’t add to the cart. The other is not genuine BMW, but an aftermarket part. I know Uro made these as well but haven’t seen their bushing to compare to the junk I got from Walloth. They’re super hard, have almost no give while the genuine bushing is quite flexible at least on the surface. I’ve installed both types of factory bushings in both my E12 M535i, my old 530i and now the coupe without issue. The W&N attempts were unsuccessful.
Ok, scratch those from the cart! Thanks.

Barry.b

Reaction score
Ok, scratch those from the cart! Thanks.
It was the “standard “ W&N ones I had trouble with.
I failed to fit them , no matter how hard I tried.
I eventually ordered these - 2 part ones from Jaymic instead.

Attachments

• 4A68E39C-C261-4F1B-9C0C-E54994AA2B09.jpeg
    4A68E39C-C261-4F1B-9C0C-E54994AA2B09.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I looked after seeing this thread, but have not found another seller in the US. Looking forward to hearing from others if there is a known source, @bavbob mentioned Powerflex, but I didnt see that they had any products for e9's.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's been more than 4 years ago when I dealt with this. At the time only W&N bushings were available.
After powder coating all my suspension parts I had a local machine shop install all the front and rear bushings.
No problems since.