How to Switch from an E9 to an E12 or E24 Wiper Motor

Before removing the E9 wiper motor. Tape the windshield wipers & arms to the windshield, this will ensure the linkage is in the correct place when reinstalling the E24 wiper motor.

IMG_8200.jpeg

Remove the wiper motor by removing the linkage nut first, may need to pry the arm off of the splined shaft with a flat screwdriver. Then remove the 3 10mm bolts. With a little wiggling the motor should be fairly easy to remove & unplug.

IMG_3323.jpeg

The E9 wiper motor has a separate ground wire spade on the body of the motor.

E9 Plug spades.jpeg

The E24 will fit perfectly. Just need to modify the ground wire with a crimp loop to bolt to the motor as shown.

IMG_8196.jpeg

Reassembly is straight forward after the small modification. I did this at The Vintage in Asheville with Rob Siegel & Billy Revis in under 30 minutes.

IMG_5634.jpg

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to know the option exists. What is the benefit of this motor over the e9 model?
Can you also use the linkage of the e24?
That would be interesting, as the big threaded parts with spindles inside, especially the left one with the 2 ball joints, are usually quite rusted. Only saw one NOS part in 10 years, about a year ago for 220 euro's already.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The advantage over the E9 is mine failed & shorted out due to water infiltration. I poured out 4 to 5 ounces of rusty water. The E24 was available. It’s 15 years newer is noticeably smoother & faster than the E9 motor. The E9 wiper motor covers have long been NLA, so I modified a 2002 cover to help protect the motor.

Wiper linkage from the E24 is different to my knowledge.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Please tell us about your super duper bolt-on mod. If you've already described it here, could you provide a link?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, I put an E12 motor on my CSi I had.

The wiring location was the only thing I had to modify. Was hardly a big deal at all to do. Pretty obvious what you'd have to do when you have it in front of you.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I am replacing my wiper motor with one from an 84 e24 and kept the harness from the new one and the harness from the original one and matched the colors and added a ground to it and it blows a fuse as soon as you turn it on.

the Wiper works great hooked to 12v. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am not an electrician and I know I am doing something wrong.

When I first wired I didn’t know what to do the the ground on the old motor and nothing happened. But now anytime I try to hook up the previous ground to the motor, it blows a fuse.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Midwestbike. With the E24 wiper motor, I used the original CSi harness plug with the ground wire attached with a crimped loop to the wiper motor's ground bolt.

I'm surprised this would blow a fuse in your CSL which is a CSI-L.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
No old motor didn’t blow a fuse, it just wouldn’t run unless helped and when I took it apart it was very disintegrated inside it.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Midwestbike. With the E24 wiper motor, I used the original CSi harness plug with the ground wire attached with a crimped loop to the wiper motor's ground bolt.

I'm surprised this would blow a fuse in your CSL which is a CSI-L.
So if I understand correctly, I need to attach the brown ground wire that was on the old wiper motor separate from the connector and crimp it on to the old harness connector to the brown wire. And yes it is a CSiL DJetronic.