How to Switch from an E9 to an E12 or E24 Wiper Motor

Before removing the E9 wiper motor. Tape the windshield wipers & arms to the windshield, this will ensure the linkage is in the correct place when reinstalling the E24 wiper motor.

IMG_8200.jpeg

Remove the wiper motor by removing the linkage nut first, may need to pry the arm off of the splined shaft with a flat screwdriver. Then remove the 3 10mm bolts. With a little wiggling the motor should be fairly easy to remove & unplug.

IMG_3323.jpeg

The E9 wiper motor has a separate ground wire spade on the body of the motor.

E9 Plug spades.jpeg

The E24 will fit perfectly. Just need to modify the ground wire with a crimp loop to bolt to the motor as shown.

IMG_8196.jpeg

Reassembly is straight forward after the small modification. I did this at The Vintage in Asheville with Rob Siegel & Billy Revis in under 30 minutes.

IMG_5634.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don’t use the e24 plug at all, just take the brown ground wire as Andrew says from your current set-up and add a ring spade to attach to the e24 motor.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t use the e24 plug at all, just take the brown ground wire as Andrew says from your current set-up and add a ring spade to attach to the e24 motor.
So I have been attaching the ground wire that was on a separate spade on the old motor to the new motor and every time I do that it blows the fuse. If I disconnect the ground wire from the motor and install a fuse and then put my volt meter from the ground to the four wires in the connector, I have 12v. Totally removing the pump and manually connecting to the battery, the pump runs on various speeds based upon which wires are being touched. The pump also runs if I connect from my ground spade on the pump and one of the wires. I’m pretty sure that I am wired wrong. I’m speaking about the wiper motor connector, but probably applies to me too.

I do not know if my wiring colors are correct. My new pump has a white wire, a brown wire, a green wire and a red wire and my e9 connector has black, brown, green and red. I currently have them hooked up
Wiper motor - e9 connector
White - black
Brown - brown
Red - red
Green - green.
And then a ground to the wiper motor. What am I missing, besides the screws?

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
So after many more fuses, I can get the wiper motor to run,(sort of).... if I use all four wires, it blows a fuse and various 3 wire combinations work, but it will only turn off with the switch. I just need the wire colors from the e24 wiper motor to the e9 connector plug (not the switch).

Last edited:

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
So after many more fuses, I can get the wiper motor to run,(sort of).... if I use all four wires, it blows a fuse and various 3 wire combinations work, but it will only turn off with the switch. I just need the wire colors from the e24 wiper motor to the e9 connector plug (not the switch).
I'm having the same problem (numerous blown fuses) and am down to my last red fuse, so I thought I'd reach out. I'm attaching pictures of my wiring harnesses to see if someone can help me figure out which of the wires coming from the new E24 wiper motor go into which of the female receptacles in the car. On the female/car side, I have what look like the following colors:

brown/with a red stripe
black/with a green stripe
black/with a blue stripe
purple/with a black line

On the new wiper motor side, I have:

white
green
red
brown

I have the ground wire attached to the motor with a U shaped connector that slides underneath one of the screws used to hold the housing in place.

When I put the green wire (new motor) to the black/green stripe (car) and the red wire (new motor) to the purple/black line wire (car), the wiper motor runs for a second and pops the fuse. In that setup, brown is going to brown/red stripe and white is going to black/blue stripe.

Can someone tell me what goes where?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 104

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
I struggled and eventually bought a refurbished one from Europe. It plugged in directly but my wires are quite filthy. LOL. The white plug is the wiper motor.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
I finally figured it out; the problem was that my new motor has a short in the white wire. I pulled the motor out and put it on the bench and it instantly shorted when I connected it to a standalone 12V battery. I even opened the motor but couldn't find where it was shorting, so I connected everything except the white wire which apparently controls the timed wiper feature; everything but that appears to work fine. And it's WAY faster than my original which had gotten ridiculously sluggish, so it was a good choice.

There didn't seem to be much interest in the topic, but for future reference on wiring, the female plug is organized like this:

| Red wire goes in the 12 o'clock position
__ __ Brown wire in the 9 o'clock, White in the 3 o'clock
__ Green wire in the 6 o'clock

Just posted and the posting is left justifying the plug diagram, but you should be able to get the idea.