I weakened...a 2002

OZCSi

Reaction score
My girlfriend shares my passion for e9's and bmw in general, and twisted my arm into purchasing a bright red 2002 for her enjoyment. This is the beginning of the end i fear . Can anyone else speak about having weakened to this extent and adding a 2002 to an E9 stable garage

Best Wishes

Oz

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, and there are many of us with this condition. I found a `69 2002 two years ago that hadn't been driven in 19 years and I couldn't pass it up. My wife knew I went to look at it after work and when I came home late she said, "you didn't buy it did you?" I confessed that yes, I had, but told her she would love it. Two weeks later I trailered it home and when she saw it she then said, "I hope it's a stick, I kinda like it." Now when am I going to find time to work on the `60 MB 190b Ponton? That is the car she won't let me sell.

Hang on to the GF, sounds like a keeper!

OZCSi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Chris, I had assumed HB meant Hermosa Beach, and just noticed Huntington Beach.

I am looking to buy in the south bay at the moment and just going round in circles..........if it all works out I will be on the hunt for a bmw or two in the new year stateside.

Cheers and yes GF is a keeper .

OZ

echappe

Reaction score
dual addictions

I bought the coupe in 2002 than got the 2002 the following year, the excuse was to get the experience in restoration. I now have 2 fairly nice driveable cars

Attachments

• coupe and 2002.jpg
    coupe and 2002.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 148

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would bet that its usually a 2002 THEN a coupe. I got hooked on 2002's back in '89 when I ended up being a partner in a BMW shop. BMW's were new to me, but I got hooked pretty quickly once I started working on them. My first was a '72 tii that had been flipped on the freeway! I bought another nice 2002 with a bad drive train and swapped the tii stuff over. It was probably six or seven years later when I got my first coupe. I've had five coupes up to this point and probably close to 20 2002's. Most of the 2002's were a buy-and-sell thing, but technically they were mine. Right now I have a '69 2800cs, '69 2002, '72 tii and '73 tii. Oh yeah, a '73 3.0cs parts car too! :mrgreen:

Dan

OZCSi

Reaction score
Dan..............I may have weakened, but holy smoke...you have a problem!!! LOL

That is a serious amount of bmws.

I am feeling so much better now.

Cheers

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
E9, e10,...

72 3.0csa, 74 3.0cs, 76 2002, 76 2002, 72 3.0csa parts car...Like children, you love them all, in different ways. Dave V. in NC

OZCSi

Reaction score

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
:) :) :)

I guess I did it backwards (at least for this crowd....)

I got my 2002 first in 1983.

I 'just' purchased the CS a year ago (Oct 08 )

:) :)

Yeah - it's a disease.

OZCSi

Reaction score
wow thanks for 2002 website. I feel like a traitor to my beloved e9....Maybe I should register under a false name.

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
Bumdoubleyous

2002's are great cars, fast, fun, functional. E9's are fun too.

Most people discover the perfect combo of a 2002 and E9. The 2002 for daily fun and the E9 for more sophisticated trips to dinner and such. The E9 is far more comfortable than an E46.

'72 3.0 CSa
'72 Tii
'73 Tii
'87 Uber E28
'05 E46 330Ci

k

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
My first BMW was my only new one - a 72 Inka/Black 2002. I had several 1600s and 2002s, including a 74 tii, but got the E9 bug in the early 80s and was out of 02s until I bought a friends 2002ti in 1999. Finally realized that was too rusty to revive and bought a nearly rust-free California shell last year. Still gathering parts for that project.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Disease

Yup, my son and I definitely have the disease,
the stable.70 2800 CS, 73 3.0 CS, 69 2002, 72 2002 Tii, 72 2002 Tii, 74 2002 Tii, 70 2002
Webasto, and two 2002 parts cars. Just traded the 03 X5, and sold a 74 3.0 CS....Help!

pamp

Reaction score
Fever

Yes...I cut my teeth on the 2002. Owned my first at age 15, not legal to drive but... this was 1974 and the car was a '70 and very rusty, made repairs with metal duct tape and bondo. Sold my 10 speed bike, dirt bike to purchase...$900.00 I loved that car right into an oak tree when a half shaft failed at speed. Owned my second after college, a '71,(rode my R60/5 in the interim as broke dick student) Alas, I totalled that car as well. Bought my 1974 E9 4 years ago after a profitable real estate transaction...can you say "mid-life crisis" For sure the car I admired as a 15 year old and the state of the art for BMW at the time...who knew? I sure like to work on "Siena" always a project in progress, sort of like "Ruby" back in the day! What comes around...

OZCSi

Reaction score
Atan,

that is just so special that 2002 turbo really is.

As I have completed a few bolt and nut restos, it just gives you so much confidence and pride to drive and show it. Although I must admit that when you take a corner very hard for the first time at 100mph plus on our roads here in Australia, your mind sparks back to when you put the front control arms in and you hope you knew what you were doing.....!!

But I do love the car, and details like the finish on your aluminium in the engine bay, that just bead blasted look is so nice and no place for greasy fingers. I will post some pics of this 2002 i bought, it will be a nice addition I hope and I will be looking for help along the way. Does anyone know what the standard carby was for a 1973 car? A single or double barrel solex?

Cheers in advance

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having been first bitten by the 02 bug, and only later the E9 bug, my guess is that many on this board shared that path to the insanity. Atan, as for your turbo: That car is pure sex appeal!