Info on grey import from Germany

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@sfdon- Just be nice to the neighbors!

@Dick Steinkamp - I don't think this buyer was LOOKING for a quasi legal way after his purchase. As most, his intention was to register it BUT if bureaucracy get's in the way, you do what you feel is necessary.

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
For me, the government was asking me to jump through hoops that were impossible. I have imported several Alfas from Europe, two from Italy specifically. Italy does not have paper "titles" anymore. All documents are electronic. FL DMV could not deal with that. So, I registered them MT without a title, after paying for a bond. I have 8 cars and a boat registered in Florida, and three registered in MT. In Florida, no one knows or cares, thankfully.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Be careful out there…

The states are well aware of the Montana LLC scheme and many are actively trying to get the people who use it to pay state sales or use taxes. For example, the California Highway Patrol has a special website that people can use to report vehicles with Montana or other out-of-state plates. Other states reportedly have their inspectors who check out RV repair facilities look for vehicles with Montana plates. Some revenue-hungry states also check RV storage facilities for vehicles with such plates.

Drive with friends!
Wow, hijacked by the government again. These cars represent such a small number on the roads it’s just ridiculous to hear of a whistleblower hot line. Sounds like something we heard about in 1943 from a girl named Anna Frank.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For all you folks using Fastrak that is one of the many ways Cali is tracking Montana plates. Every time you cross a bridge or pay a toll- that optical character reader is sending a Montana report to the DMV. The California CHP also has OCR readers in their cars tracking Montana plates. And then you get the letter.....
The DMV wants your money!

Here is what that letter looks like:
CEEB5B37-0828-4606-9CF9-E801072C155F.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Don - if I send my car to you to be restored, and you have a two year turn around, do I have to registrer my car in CA for those two years?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
No real speed limits in Montana. However, I did manage to get stopped for speeding. No ticket issued, but did have to sit still for a lecture. I did manage to get 2 citations within the same week. Nevada and AZ. I told the Nevada cop I thought there weren't any speed limits in Nevada. The answer was you are within a municaple section. But don't worry you won't get any points. Well $200 later and still no points. Worst part was I was in a Toyota Tacoma. It's a good thing I wasn't riding my BMW

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can say that in the five and one half years Don has had my car - I have not had any issues with the coupe having a WA plate. LOL

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
hmmmm- you won’t be a resident or gainfully employed.
Right, but the statute says a vehicle is deemed primarily used in CA if located in CA more than it is located in any other state. Crazy rules y'all got there.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ca, like Ma, does everything in its power to separate you from your money. Also, I hate open-ended statements...what does gainfully employed mean or better yet, the criteria for being ungainfully employed? How do they know you don't have relatives in town and are driving their car?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No real speed limits in Montana.
Looks like that changed in 2019...

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 3.33.25 PM.png

In fact, there doesn't appear to be any state now without a speed limit.

There is still Germany :) ...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Right, but the statute says a vehicle is deemed primarily used in CA if located in CA more than it is located in any other state. Crazy rules y'all got there.
Don’t worry it is basically based on residence. If you have a DL here but car is registered in Montana then you will have issues!