Installation Bilstein shock absorbers

Barry.b

Reaction score
Thanks Don.
I kept just pushing the metal sleeve up ,
The shock is at an angle going through the rubber so I kept catching the sleeve with the shock.
Then I ran out of patience
I will try it again this evening
Thanks again !!

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Don.
I kept just pushing the metal sleeve up ,
The shock is at an angle going through the rubber so I kept catching the sleeve with the shock.
Then I ran out of patience
I will try it again this evening
Thanks again !!
Well, space available may be a problem, but technically you can reinsert the metal tube from above into the rubber, (from the trunk side that is) perhaps with the help of some rubber friendly grease and a 1/2 inch 13 mm ratchet socket to push the metal tube into the rubber over the threaded pin of the shock?

Barry.b

Reaction score
Well, space available may be a problem, but technically you can reinsert the metal tube from above into the rubber, (from the trunk side that is) perhaps with the help of some rubber friendly grease and a 1/2 inch 13 mm ratchet socket to push the metal tube into the rubber over the threaded pin of the shock?
Okay
That might work.
I was in the garage quite late and everything was quite cold so I did eventually give up .
Anyway I will try again this evening.
With a bit more patience and energy
Thanks again !

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've struggled as well with this, especially when installing the complete rear axle, witht he strut mounted on the axle at the bottom, and having the spring compressed (with a rope around it). Then when releasing the rope, I coulnd't get the pin to go in the hole.
For this dilemma I found this method to work: I extended the pin of the Bilstein with a torx bit and an extension piece (6*7mm box wrench in english?), and poking that through the hole first, then releasing the rope. ; the torx bit and extension aligns everything.

1675240688210.png
1675240645474.png

some more pics & explanation here:

Barry.b

Reaction score
I've struggled as well with this, especially when installing the complete rear axle, witht he strut mounted on the axle at the bottom, and having the spring compressed (with a rope around it). Then when releasing the rope, I coulnd't get the pin to go in the hole.
For this dilemma I found this method to work: I extended the pin of the Bilstein with a torx bit and an extension piece (6*7mm box wrench in english?), and poking that through the hole first, then releasing the rope. ; the torx bit and extension aligns everything.

View attachment 156149 View attachment 156148

some more pics & explanation here:
Great
You have given me some good possible work arounds .
I do have a set of spring compressors , but of course they were somewhat clashing with the shock .
I had a beer after failing to put it together last night and I have warmed up too .
So I should be in good shape later on to have another go at it .

Last edited:

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys
Thank you so much for your helpful advice.
I managed to get both trailing arms fitted this evening.
I allowed the shock to push up through the rubber first and then I sprayed some white grease onto the sleeve and with a bit of leverage and mallet action I got the sleeve to go down into the rubber from above.
It’s beer time again
This time a celebratory one !!
cheers ! :)

Attachments

• 6A0726BD-2C66-4F33-8A1D-08DE24FCFF3B.jpeg
    6A0726BD-2C66-4F33-8A1D-08DE24FCFF3B.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 67

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Several years ago when I was putting my E12 M535i together, the rear shocks I received came with these bushings. Totally wrong for the E12 so I just threw them in a box with all of the other surplus new parts I bought but didn’t need. Of course I had a 2002 customer that needed rear shock mounts and I couldn’t find them so I ordered new from the dealer for him (ouch). Then I found a pair in the trunk of his car so used those and I got stuck with the new ones.

I received my new Bilsteins for the E9 and they have the same bushing arrangement described earlier that apparently leads to extra noise. I was surprised to see that versus the stock style bushing and thought maybe it was an upgrade until I saw this thread.

While looking for ten bolts I had redone years ago that I didn’t need but happened to have a use for now that I cannot seem to find I found those mounts that came with the Bilsteins.

Here’s a photo compared to 33 52 3 450 101 which is the 2002 top mount and the part number they show superseded 33 52 1 111 118. Also note it has the sleeve. Part 33 52 1 105 047. The 2002 part doesn’t come with the sleeve.

71668916-A422-4AFE-B66F-0F8B632488A3.jpeg

76ECF314-143E-4890-8B82-A40DC009CE0F.jpeg

I don’t know if the Bilstein number corresponds to anything specifically for the part. Worth a shot to ask I guess.

Hope that’s marginally helpful.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bushing we need actually is part of a kit for an American car and is available separately for about 4 bucks. I have posted this and compared etc. I have 4 of them sitting on my desk from Summit, total was 20 bucks for all 4. I did not discover this on my own, Bilstein technical did the research.

redfishman

Reaction score
The bushing we need actually is part of a kit for an American car and is available separately for about 4 bucks. I have posted this and compared etc. I have 4 of them sitting on my desk from Summit, total was 20 bucks for all 4. I did not discover this on my own, Bilstein technical did the research.
Great could you send a link or description to that kit? thx