Interest in reproduction lamps for the E9?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW Club person who told me there will be an effort by BMW to reproduce these lights themselves. This means I am out as I am certainly not going to go up against BMW. I might consider to do less ambitious repros if there is enough interest.

Hi Achim,
That there will be a effort from BMW is something we've heard far too often in the past with no real results..... and as mentioned by @HB Chris, the last sets were extremely expensive making your offer all the more attractive.
Q. How many sets would need to be ordered for you to be able to stick to you initial price estimate? As with all E9 parts, it’s about the long haul and not only what the immediate orders will be.
Would be great if you could come up with some numbers as I’m sure the interest here (world wide forum) is still very much there for brand new rear lights.
thanks
Keshav

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
That story have been told by BMW for many years now.
High promises to start producing all kinds of different NLA parts, but it's always the next year, the next year, and the next year. Yeah, maybe next year.
All talk, no action. Like a drug addict who keeps promising to pay you back.
I feel the chance that BMW starts producing rear lights for our coupes again are close to zero.
There's alot of stories about this here on the forum, but I understand it feels risky for you when BMW says that they will start producing them again.

BitterSC

Reaction score
I would have to take 1000 sets from everything, so a total of 2000 tail lamps, 2000 turn signals ...

It is entirely possible that the BMW club guy just wanted to shut me down but the danger is there, that I make this investment and then BMW does reproduce them and I'll be sitting on an expensive pile of useless parts.

BitterSC

Reaction score
Hi! Those numbers are a bit discouraging...

In the meantime I am trying to get through to BMW Classic through contacts I have in the German classic car magazines. I would still like rather do this in consensus with BMW rather than in competition with them.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a search on the UK registration site to see how many E9 are on the road. It's a bit hit or miss as far as the numbers go, I've found data entry errors for some other makes I was looking for. They show numbers back to 2001, generally E9 numbers are up from the past. These are the E9 numbers I found for 2018 registration.

BMW 3.0cs 30
BMW 2800cs 6
BMW 3.0csl 78
BMW 2000cs 5

Total 119

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a search on the UK registration site to see how many E9 are on the road. It's a bit hit or miss as far as the numbers go, I've found data entry errors for some other makes I was looking for. They show numbers back to 2001, generally E9 numbers are up from the past. These are the E9 numbers I found for 2018 registration.

BMW 3.0cs 30
BMW 2800cs 6
BMW 3.0csl 78
BMW 2000cs 5

Total 119
Ha, so csl's are actually the most plentifull. You've just cost every csl owner 10% off their kids inheritence. And upped mine as i have a 3.0cs.