Keeping the cabin cooler

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Worst comes to worst, you can use some industrial shrink tubing that's pretty thick and close up the outer edge so water can dribble out. I did this until I got a pair from La Jolla. You can get that tubing from Home Depot in the specialty electric section.

bshermis

Reaction score
We hit 114F yesterday.
Did you do the heater bypass mod ? That's good for about 5F drop in the cabin.
There is also a foam thingy under the shifter to help block heat from the tranny.
You are right on Dynamat. I laid down about 50lbs of Dynamat and it didnt do a damn thing.

Anyone know what the "Foam Thingy" part number is? I've got a lot of very hot air coming in through the shifter opening.

Rek

Reaction score
I installed the 1/2 inch all over, where space would permit. Heat issues have now gone away. I don't have photo's of the installation - sorry about that.

lloyd

Reaction score
If 106 degrees in L.A isn't hot enough without AC, what are the tried and true cost-effective measures to prevent heat building up in the cabin ? There is a lot of heat that comes from the transmission area. I've read old posts of heat shields and exhaust wrap etc. Old posts on Dynamat didn't seem to do the trick either.

Redirecting engine bay heated air from the cabin is common sense, as is insulating exhaust heat from the cabin floor. However, one suspects that a similar, if not greater benefit might be obtained from the newer window films that (allegedly) block UV, IR and visible light. Something about the so-called greenhouse effect?

Sunbelt friends inform me that they have even placed clear 3M film on their front windshields with significant results, not only in heat reduction but also protection of costly interior pieces. One friend, argues a dermatological benefit by limiting sun exposure on his hands and arms.

And, on a distantly related subject, is anyone aware of a car wax or polymer treatment that significantly "blocks" uv light? Short of employing a car cover or covered parking, is there a product that actually* protects or measurably deters paint fading ?

3459f3e344fa18085896b98c0526982d_ppp.png

Random mix of shiny

22_285_18.jpg

819917066b050d0d272f2bb8e5c1276f.jpg

eb0859f5fb809087f8cf1393348983c5--bmw-e-vintage.jpg

BMW+E9-.jpg

fa3f56a280729655e54587a7defa70b6--bmw-e-vintage.jpg

A not-so-subtle attempt to outrun the heat and UV exposure?
a96ca7718d1139895a1eab35948eda61.jpg

*scientifically proven

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just as a by the way, if you are planning on any product on top of dynamat/etc, and are planning carpet renewal, dimensions will change slightly for said carpet pieces (just like adding cocoamats raises the "relative floor"; i.e., and as tunnel gets larger by 1/2", footwell gets 1/2" smaller...)...Just something to keep in mind...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think every car needs a shield for the muffler that runs directly between the seats. I have measured 145* at the seat belt bracket.
Simply put every car BMW has sold since 1979 has a shield for heat. We use the 998 version

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The part refered to in the begin (BMW part no 51481832850) has been used by others, and was judged by others to perform reasonably well.

I made this additional heat shield a while back. It continues from the edge of the 51481832850 part.
A lot of work , but hopefully effective.

Reference to post #102 and #101 of this thread:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fixing-that-little-rust-spot.18521/page-6

Attachments

• trimmed and held in place with magnets.jpg
    trimmed and held in place with magnets.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 382
  • new self made heat shield- overall view.jpg
    new self made heat shield- overall view.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 349

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would NOT recommend using any kind of wrap on your exhaust. Causes cracks on the pipe.

Heat shield, Dynaliner, will help. Window tinting on the rear window will help, but unless you have AC, your windows are rolled down I assume so won't help for the side windows.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The part refered to in the begin (BMW part no 51481832850) has been used by others, and was judged by others to perform reasonably well.

I made this additional heat shield a while back. It continues from the edge of the 51481832850 part.
A lot of work , but hopefully effective.

Reference to post #102 and #101 of this thread:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fixing-that-little-rust-spot.18521/page-6

https://www.dparts.com/bescherming/hitteschild/647668/0

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don, I tried that heat shield from the Dparts website. It was an E24. Bought it and trial fitted it, but it just won't work. it's about 6 to 8 cm too wide, and needs quite some reshaping. All is doable, but as it is ~2 mm thick aluminium, it's not that easy to stretch or shrink in the right places.
The E60/E61 'corrugated' material is much more pliable, forgiving even; if you make mistakes you can flatten it and start over again. It's still stable enough.

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The part that I used had BMW logo and the following number stamped 5148-7009-739-09. I purchased it from a guy claiming it was an E60E61 heat shield.
As I didn't pull it myself, I can't confirm.

identical appearance & same number:
https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com...sulation--tunneltank/1371563/51487009739.html

It seems to be that more than one version exists of the heat shield. Likely with minor differences:
- Pelican parts has an instruction for the E60 with a pic showing same part: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...ransmission_Output_Shaft_Seal_Replacement.htm

- I also found on Ebay a part that was supposedly # 5148 7130 801 which seems to be visually alike to my eye.
- Same applies for #5148 7033 723.
https://picclick.co.uk/BMW-5-SERIES-E60-E61-Heat-shield-wrap-272089673235.html#&gid=1&pid=2

It may be that more than one heat shield will do the trick, as minor differences wouldn't matter as you reshape the entire thing anyway.

Attachments

• BMW Part identification E60-E61.jpg
    BMW Part identification E60-E61.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So- cheaper, newer material and looks good.
Thanks for sharing!
I’m ordering one today.

Rek

Reaction score
i don, may i assume that you already have all the kids you wanted ?:p

One would think that icy cold would stultify the motivation for making kids, but it does not affect the function as much.

The manufacturers original design for The Male is such that certain parts work better at lower than body temperature, hence their location outside of the main body. Cooling was intended to be achieved by the passage of air around said 'parts' to enable optimum operation. A sort of 'heater by-pass' if you will.

Unfortunately, apart from exceptional circumstances such as, say, when meeting another Head of State in a Scandinavian country, social trends are such that these OE parts are now covered in polite company requiring others methods of cooling to compensate. So, Don's idea has some merit. I can attest that large budget bags of frozen vegetables are a suitable alternative where ice is unavailable.