Keeping the project alive

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm listening

Thanks for the comments guys, I will be going up to the body shop with the bumpers to do some final measurements. The car will be primed at least one more time so I will have a chance to revisit the rear holes. Maybe you folks can tell me this in advance; I was thinking of fitting the steel/rubber "shelf" that goes between the body and the 74 bumpers on the car, I would have to cut it a bit, and then I thought I would make some plugs for the rear holes rather than weld them up, that way if the rear chrome bumper got destroyed I could at least fit the newer one on there temporarily. I'm not sure if there is enough room to mount the "shelf" with the older bumpers- Any thoughts or pictures you could share would be appreciated.

Cheers,

alanmcg

Reaction score
no room

as you can see from the pic, the euro bumper is almost touching the rear sheet metal, so def no room for a shelf.
re holes, if you dont weld them you HAVE to plug them, and make sure the plug is watertight, else rust has straight shot into your trunk and rear sub-frame. trust me, once you put your euro bumpers on you will never go back to the diving boards, even if your euro bumper gets crunched, so weld up those holes now while its cheap and easy.

Attachments

• 2010-11-08 09.45.16.jpg
    2010-11-08 09.45.16.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 184

pamp

Reaction score
+ 1 Alan. Body fill the holes now. This can always be un-done once big bumpers come back in style (I am not holding my breath) When I did my car we metal filled all the extraneous holes from the DOT stuff, there were many.

Last edited:

aalto

Reaction score
The car is looking great!

+2 on the filling. I initially hesitated on filling them in (like you i thought about plugging them) but then changed my mind . . . and i've never looked back. The big holes for the 74+ bumpers were clearly added hastily and those nasty welds are going be just slightly visible behind the chrome bumper.

I did thoroughly rust-proof/paint the inside of these holes because once they are welded up you have fully enclosed cavities with limited access.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
finally some color

These are just the first coats, but I thought some might be interested in the process. the color looks almost black until the clear was sprayed.

Attachments

• first coat1.jpg
    first coat1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 156
  • first coat3.jpg
    first coat3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 151
  • first coat9.jpg
    first coat9.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 152
  • first coat12.jpg
    first coat12.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 146
  • first coat13.jpg
    first coat13.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 162

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one door at a time

Out of the booth this morning! It's hard to get a good pic inside the shop with a cell phone :-(

Attachments

• one door at a time.jpg
    one door at a time.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 141

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
just some more pics

This is after the first coat of clear- it was being wet sanded when I went by today. They are supposed to re-clear it tomorrow, then dry over the weekend before.. what's next I don't know. And, yes, I made plugs for the rear holes but before I use them I am going to try a bumper mounting system I put together. Austin Texas is the "rear-end" capitol of Texas!

Attachments

• wetsand9.jpg
    wetsand9.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 150
  • wetsand0.jpg
    wetsand0.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 134
  • wetsand1.jpg
    wetsand1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 136

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
color

Hi Walter, I ended up using a newer BMW color; Indigo Blue. I just got off the phone with the painter and it's going in for its final coats of clear this evening and drying over the weekend. Monday I should have the "semi-finished" product, so I'll be picking her up on Monday or Tuesday- fingers crossed- I'll post lots of pictures :)

Thanks!

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about two new BMW colors for a project car: jerez black or carbon black. Both "blacks" are actually dark blue. The dark blue color of your car has convinced me that it would work on my project. Keep the updates coming.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
more pics

Final sanding and buffing should happen today, looking at a Wednesday pick-up :)

Attachments

• almost there8.jpg
    almost there8.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 150
  • almost there91.jpg
    almost there91.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 159
  • almost there97.jpg
    almost there97.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 146
  • almost there0.jpg
    almost there0.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 147

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful!

Will you go with chrome side gills and hood grills!
What about the aluminum belt line trim? I recommend Dan Ross at Speedway in Santa Ana CA. Polish and ceramic coat that trim for a fraction of the new cost!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
questions I had not thought of

Thanks Stan & Don, maybe you can point me in the right direction. The original gills and grills (as far as I can tell) were black, I still have them -all prettied up- I was just going to put them back on.. Any pictures of chrome on dark colors? Also, belt line (I guess high waists are back in style) I polished the originals and they look pretty good, I was going to slap those on as well thinking it would give the car an "original" look since they'll obviously not look brand new. The bumpers are looking pretty much brand new, no pits in the chrome and I re-worked the rubber inside and out, so my thought was to put everything back on and then go from there.... but always open to suggestion(s).

Thanks all

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking very nice. there is no correct color scheme - I have seen dark cars with black and chrome, I vote chrome as it compliments the beltline and pops a little ;-)

tumblr_kwkg85Hcwo1qzsctzo1_500.jpg

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now I have a goal

Thanks Steve. Thought I'd put up a before and after

Attachments

• beforepaint.jpg
    beforepaint.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 131
  • after paint.jpg
    after paint.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 148

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree. I think the chrome grills will look better against the dark color, especially since most of the rest of the trim is also chrome / anodized alum.

The color looks great.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
tried for some detail shots

Hi Folks, thought I would post a few closer up shots of the paint, it's a little dusty but... just in the interest of keeping it going!

Attachments

• back home.jpg
    back home.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 119
  • back home5.jpg
    back home5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 119
  • back home6.jpg
    back home6.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 134
  • back home7.jpg
    back home7.jpg